Jumpshots At Night

spentaz

Aug 13, 2010
My friends and I would be having a BBQ soon. I would be bringing my flash, 18-55(including tripod). The camera would be triggered by the wireless remote(phottix). I'm prepared to bump ISO up to 1600 for acceptable pictures. Any ideal ideas on what settings to use? Should I use f8 or more to keep everyone in focus? Thanks:p

I doubt u really need f8 or more. N since u have a powerful flash use it. U can get ur friends to stand still 1st while u check the focus. Hope this help =)

Last edited:
well, i think jumpshots is all about shutter speed...

so set to camera to M and set a shutter speed as high as your flash allows you to.. in my case was 1/250 lah, but i'm not sure about 550D.. If need to go higher do remember to turn on your high speed mode on your flash..

5.6 should give u sufficient DoF supposing u dun zoom in.. and use a direct flash with an omnibounce to spread the light evenly to have everyone illuminated.. if u want more ambient lighting then up your ISO, and deal with the noise in PP.

burst shooting would be good.. countdown 3,2,1 then snap snap snap 3 shots.. and pick the best.. sometimes will need flash cooldown so dun go overzealous shooting ya.

have fun shooting!

hey.. there u mean somthing like this?
36984_406426334462_580439462_4111772_250485_n.jpg

but my flash is not evenly distributed
and guess what this is what i did at m bbq pit haha =)

Last edited:
Yes!!!! something like that.....for the omnibounce, got cheaper option? 30 dollars leh :( So I gather, it's okay to use F5.6, 18mm and ISO 800?

Yes!!!! something like that.....for the omnibounce, got cheaper option? 30 dollars leh :( So I gather, it's okay to use F5.6, 18mm and ISO 800?
Can try using a BIG piece of white cardboard and tie it to the flash head, tilted upward.
Not exactly the same effect as omnibounce, but it does also spread the light, and is much cheaper :)
as for the settings, the important value is the shutter speed in order to 'freeze' motion. So the other parameters work hand-in-hand to achieve this shutter speed.

* a person jumping has greater vertical speed at the point of travelling upward or downward, compared with at the top of the jump.

well, i think jumpshots is all about shutter speed...

so set to camera to M and set a shutter speed as high as your flash allows you to.. in my case was 1/250 lah, but i'm not sure about 550D.. If need to go higher do remember to turn on your high speed mode on your flash..

5.6 should give u sufficient DoF supposing u dun zoom in.. and use a direct flash with an omnibounce to spread the light evenly to have everyone illuminated.. if u want more ambient lighting then up your ISO, and deal with the noise in PP.

burst shooting would be good.. countdown 3,2,1 then snap snap snap 3 shots.. and pick the best.. sometimes will need flash cooldown so dun go overzealous shooting ya.

have fun shooting!

Outdoors, where there is nothing to bounce the light off from, using the cap diffuser (or stofen omnibounce), is actually useless. You are just wasting power and not making the light any softer. See this for explanation:
http://blog.davehoffmannphoto.com/2009/05/lose-the-diffuser-outdoors/

The idea is to increase the surface area of the light source. The best, is to point the flash 45 deg angle up backwards, with an assistant holding a reflector behind you for the light to bounce off from. That will be sweet. If you are alone, You can use a large bounce card. I use the demb flip-it jumbo.

Outdoors, where there is nothing to bounce the light off from, using the cap diffuser (or stofen omnibounce), is actually useless. You are just wasting power and not making the light any softer. See this for explanation:
http://blog.davehoffmannphoto.com/2009/05/lose-the-diffuser-outdoors/

The idea is to increase the surface area of the light source. The best, is to point the flash 45 deg angle up backwards, with an assistant holding a reflector behind you for the light to bounce off from. That will be sweet. If you are alone, You can use a large bounce card. I use the demb flip-it jumbo.

Yup...that's what I was thinking...I did some research too...omnibounce only works when there's a surface to bounce from right? haha...no need large bounce card lar..very bulky to bring. I just make do with what I can find there. Possible to use styrofoam?

Yup...that's what I was thinking...I did some research too...omnibounce only works when there's a surface to bounce from right? haha...no need large bounce card lar..very bulky to bring. I just make do with what I can find there. Possible to use styrofoam?

Anything can be bouncer. There is this soft foam bounce card thingy they sell in mass sales. Can roll up when not using and store in bag.

Check this one out. It is on sale too:

http://www.cathayphoto.com.sg/offers/2010/07/rogue-flashbender-large-positionable-reflector

Last edited: