Jumping Spiders: Unknown and Fighting spiders

Status
Not open for further replies.

tchuanye

Staff member
Mar 4, 2003
Visit site
Not sure if always posting abt Jumping spiders will bore you, but somehow, I like to take them. Esp those not so common ones. Am still trying to shoot a Portia JS I have not seen, but Mel and petersan have taken them before.

Well here are the pics. I think one of them is the same as the recent one posted by Jayson. The only ID I know of the JS here is the fighting Spider.

FZ10+6T+Sigma CU, ISO50, F8, 1/100s - 1/125s, Ext bounce flash
A610+50mm F1.7 reverse lens,, ISO 50, F8, 160s, EXT OB flash

#1: Unknown JS. (FZ10)
This fella, the palpi (the 2 frt thing infront the mouth) is always moving so fast, I tend to get motion blur on it.
71648114-M.jpg

#2: Peeking (FZ10)
71648392-M.jpg

#3: Under leaf (FZ10)
71648249-M.jpg

#4: Fighting Spider (FZ10)
71649186-M.jpg

#5: Small JS (A610)
71648339-M.jpg

#6: Whats in a JS head???? (A610)
71648060-M.jpg

For ID purposes, the rear pattern for the first JS
71648191-M.jpg

tchuanye said:
Not sure if always posting abt Jumping spiders will bore you, but somehow, I like to take them. Esp those not so common ones.
I find your spider shots quite entertaining, especially the Law of Nature series. :)

#2 I am biased towards peeking spiders! :lovegrin:
#3 I like the angle. Most people shoot head on. Do not like the leaf on top though.
#4 Nice background & DOF.
#6 When did you get an X-Ray vision lens?? Would it look better if you cropped it so that the spider is a diagonal across? Instead of straight down.

tchuanye, you never fail to amuse ppl with your shots
by the way, continue to post your JS shots! they don't bore!:nono:

cerebrus said:
I find your spider shots quite entertaining, especially the Law of Nature series. :)

#2 I am biased towards peeking spiders! :lovegrin:
#3 I like the angle. Most people shoot head on. Do not like the leaf on top though.
#4 Nice background & DOF.
#6 When did you get an X-Ray vision lens?? Would it look better if you cropped it so that the spider is a diagonal across? Instead of straight down.

Thanks! I know you like peeking shots as you mentioned previously.

The angle was rather odd, as it was quite far in the bush. I had to bend my body really forward so head on not possible for #3. It liked to stay below the leaf. My handheld flash helps as I directed the bounce from the left to right rather than top down, which would have cast a shadow on it.

#6: Good suggestion. But the left side of the branch was blown, so had to crop it out. This shot I place the flash opposite to the camera. Anyway, thought it was an interesting effect.

Jayson_Ang said:
tchuanye, you never fail to amuse ppl with your shots
by the way, continue to post your JS shots! they don't bore!:nono:

Thanks Jayson for the encouragement :)

eikin said:
the unknown JS is most probably Phintella versicolor

Thanks for the pointer eikin.

I have looked carefully at the features and somehow, it does not look like the Phintlla versicolor.

The unknown head is more pointed and sloppy, and the rear patterns are slightly different, especially the center white band.

hey tchuanye, is there any good reference book on spider IDs with text and pictures that i can purchase?

Jayson_Ang said:
hey tchuanye, is there any good reference book on spider IDs with text and pictures that i can purchase?

Yes, there is this book by Joseph Koh that sells at Science center. Its online version (so to speak) is here:

A Guide to Common Singapore Spiders
http://habitatnews.nus.edu.sg/guidebooks/spiders/text/a-spiders.htm

Jayson_Ang said:
WOW! great. now no more asking stupid ID questions for me.
Thanks!

Its a good place to start, but does not have ALL the ID of spider here. E.g. I think the unknown JS is not inside, I think.

Wow! I like the last spider in pic #7 you took! :thumbsup:

You never fail to deliver! :)

petersan said:
Wow! I like the last spider in pic #7 you took! :thumbsup:

You never fail to deliver! :)

Thanks! Well, your shots are getting better and better too! Very impressed!

tchuanye said:
#6: Whats in a JS head???? (A610)
71648060-M.jpg

For ID purposes, the rear pattern for the first JS
71648191-M.jpg

Great shots U have. Each time when I lock on to Clubsnap my first check is on your post. So please continue posting your shots........

Nice spider series. I'll never get bore on spiders. :) They have eyes that indicate mysteries. Exploding them is a great joy. :)

By the way, how many of you ever play with fighting spider before during school days (especially secondary)?

Wonder if anyone of you interested in getting a pair so that they can fight while we take pictures. ;p

CY, the backlit shot is nice!

I really like #5. The colour and texture makes it look like a labrador waiting to be patted. :)

tchuanye, how is your handheld flash set up? Is there a special attachment you use since the camera does not have a pc sync chord.

the king of Macro strikes again!! Yet another brillian shots taken by CY...

Hey, you considering opening any class? if yes count me in hor

Status
Not open for further replies.