JPEG or do you like it RAW??

JPEG or RAW?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
my school teacher teach us to shoot in jpeg... easier to use leh.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Best Explanation by far. Short and sweet and to the point of the matter.

Hi Luenny

Think of raw as the *negative* of the picture you take with your camera.
It holds whatever information passed from the camera sensor.

The jpg is that information that underwent interpolation, in camera processing for white balance, sharpening, and compression in whatever setting you used. Note that jpg is a loosy compression, you lose information during the creation of a jpg.

Cheers
Ryan

Pardon me, but can't you tweak all these in JPEG too? I thought after the file is open in Photoshop, it does not really matter anymore since JPEG also have to be decompressed to raw data before Photoshop can display them. Sorry, that's what I understand all along so just want to clarify.

You can't adjust the White balance for Jpeg easily like you do for RAW. ;)

And as said, you have full control over all the data, it's up to you to use it. And from RAW, you can convert it to whatever format you like TIF, PSD, etc... lossless formats.

Hi all,
Thanks for the clarification. Ok, now it all makes sense. Because the camera automatically did something to the image before converting to JPEG (like white balance etc.) and JPEG being lossy, some of the things may not turn out the way we like. So I guess the main reason to shoot RAW is to have a better control on how you want to edit it later. Am I making sense? Do I understand it correctly?

Hi all,
Thanks for the clarification. Ok, now it all makes sense. Because the camera automatically did something to the image before converting to JPEG (like white balance etc.) and JPEG being lossy, some of the things may not turn out the way we like. So I guess the main reason to shoot RAW is to have a better control on how you want to edit it later. Am I making sense? Do I understand it correctly?

Righto... ;)

Depending on my mood, the nature of the job and my luck... I end up shooting in both format. LOL!!

Pardon me, but can't you tweak all these in JPEG too? I thought after the file is open in Photoshop, it does not really matter anymore since JPEG also have to be decompressed to raw data before Photoshop can display them. Sorry, that's what I understand all along so just want to clarify.
try underexposing your shot by 3 stops and then push them up in photoshop... im sure you can see a great difference... not saying it is that frequently use, but when it does, :thumbsup:

Hi all,

You also need to note another bad thing about jpg. Due to compression to keep the file size small yes you will lose some details as the compression algorithm will take away pixels here and there to cut down on contrast..etc. One minor thing to keep note. When you open the jpg file to edit it..when you save the changes to it, resave it to another file name. Preserve the original if you have no RAW. And when you save the jpg file you have edited, always select the least compression rate. Don't try to compress the file as small as you can to save space or you will regret it the next time you open the file to see it all pixelated. (which is why you keep one untouch jpeg version always as backup). Even the less amount of comnpression rate you select would give you a pretty compact file size...so don't every do it. And if you have to..use a spare one to experiment becasue once you click "yes" and the compression is done, you can't salvage it back.

Oh..another bad thing about jpeg though not always apparent or commonly known but worth noting. Overtime, (bad photographic skill aside) a jpg photo quality will also get less sharp, lose contrast, has weird colour bits..etc. You can see pixelation and weird pixels along constrasting lines especially. MOre apparent when you enlarge them for prints. This is because each time you open the jpeg file and make changes to it OR NOT...just by RESAVING the same jpeg each time... each time your graphic program will recompress the jpeg AGAIN. ..so the more time you open and save and open and save ..you are literally deterioting the image quality. It will start to gets more and more apparent as you use more higer compression on it to get the file smaller. So if you have open a picture and have not made any changes to it...don't try to save it. Just close the file and say no to resaving it. If you are shooting like 10 or 12mp photos...it is harder to spot it but when you are say using smaller size as in the sizes you use in website..the more time you work on that photo and doing numerous savings...you are in fact "aging" that picture. Yes most of us who do design work, we are always clicking the "save" button in case the system crash and we lose all the work flow done to a particular picture. So we don't work with jpeg. We open the jpg and resave a working version of it as tiff or psd.

A TIF or PSD file is not the same as jpg formats. A 18mb file (tiff or psd) saves as a 18mb file STAYS an 18mb file. Nothing taken out or compressed to make the file smaller thus the quality remains the same. The only thing bad that can happen to it is if you are lousy at photoshop and screw it up heheheh... okie....just abit more useless info about jpg format and why some folks rather shoot RAW. heheheheh

But 1 question here.
Why everytime I transfer my picture to photoshop from "Digital Photo Professional" , after editing, when I click on "save as" in photoshop, there is no JPEG format in the drop down list?
I'm using Photoshop CS 2 btw.

But my old files can be save in JPEG. Weird.....:dunno:

But 1 question here.
Why everytime I transfer my picture to photoshop from "Digital Photo Professional" , after editing, when I click on "save as" in photoshop, there is no JPEG format in the drop down list?
I'm using Photoshop CS 2 btw.

But my old files can be save in JPEG. Weird.....:dunno:

There could be one reason for this. When you tranfser your RAW photo in Photoshop. The raw file's format will be temporary label as PSD. When you attempt to edit it and then save it or even try to perform certain colour adjustment...etc Photoshop will not allow it and some of those edit options will be disabled.

In the case of saving it as jpeg..if the photo is 16 bits channel you will not be able to save it to jpeg. You need to change it to 8bits channel. Go to the menu bar...select Image and go to MODE and you will see 8 bits/16bits/32 bits...just select 8 bits. Jpeg is a lower quality format so 16bit channel is too high for it so it is expect you should only save it in 8 bits channel. Once you have done so, you will now see more file formats now available in the drop down list at the SAVE AS prompt window.

Well I hope that is why you have this problem lah .

Also I believe certain colour modes aren't for JPG as well..

Also I believe certain colour modes aren't for JPG as well..

yup that's right...

I feel that anyone who if he/she intend to get more serious with photography, should spend abit more time to learn about photo file formats, their limitations and basic editing with a graphic software. It will help them alot..it is part and parcel of photography in the modern day just like in the old days with film based photography where some knowledge about types of films, filters, processing ..etc comes into play.

The sooner one gets familiar with this the less problem you face. Nothing worst then shooting something very nice and while handling the file in your PC..something happens and bang!...bye bye photo. It does not happen often but when it does and with the most important photo. It really can sux your day's fun man heheh.

Shoot Jpeg in the beginning..... now RAW all the way.... ;)

Hi Sammy,
Thanks for the write up. Sure clears the air about JPEG. I guess for final file for display on the web it is a good format. But intermediate format should be RAW. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.