Johor Old Town

Nikkornos

Oct 31, 2008
Singapore/Asia
Hi Guys, anyone interested to bring an old camera to visit JB old town? (Tan Hiok Nee Heritage Walk. JB )

Saw in Channel 8, wonder where it is as I had been to JB many times.

Lets open an discussion here. If possible, like to organize a trip to JB cum eating trip one weekend.

陳旭年街是一條位於馬來西亞柔佛州新山市區的街道,為了紀念陳旭年開埠新山的貢獻。近年來,每個星期六會舉辦文化節目,有歌唱、舞蹈、書法、棋藝、畫、中華武術、懷舊電影等,讓被許多人成為「文化沙漠」的新山開始出現「綠洲」。

2010年01月05日 - 陳旭年街:人和店的故事,還未退色。 - 快樂星期天 - 星洲网 新聞

柔佛攝影
廖蔚平的一生,與相機難舍難分。
這是一家設計奇特的老店樓。樓下店面大約25方呎寬,置下兩張木圓椅子和一台複印機,空間剛剛好。二樓,是簡陋的照相館。幾乎滅跡的青色薄地毯還有斑駁的水跡,舉頭望向天花板,彷彿只要一場暴風雨就刮走屋簷了。

腳方踏進老店,如走入時光隧道。和這老照像館一樣陳舊的,還有店裡掛滿的新山老照片,那是《星洲日報》新山區最早的攝影人--廖蔚平,透過鏡頭來紀錄新山歷史的黑白照。
1920年,廖蔚平和父親從彭亨州的文冬小鎮來到新山一家叫“全真相館”的攝影館學拍照。1936年,23歲的他當老闆,在烏魯地南開設“平光相館”;1941年,日軍佔領馬來亞,相館閉門;1946年,到“柔佛攝影”打工;26.6.1946,“海峽之新山遠景”,是廖蔚平拍下的第一張照片。
由於攝影技術了得,他在日治時代被日軍看中,命令他到司令部當攝影師。日軍撤退後,他出任"柔佛攝影"攝影師,1970年一度離開獨闖天下,7年後回去當老闆。

匿藏在膠卷內的歷史畫面

和相機為伍70年,他留下不少珍貴的照片。可是,當年還是打工仔的他,拍下自己的照片後又不能帶回相館沖洗,所以,這些照片不曾曝光過,而老新山的畫面,久一直藏在膠卷內。
直到十多年前,孩子廖國財接過相館做拍攝護照人頭照的小生意,當時店徒四璧,他把父親收藏著的黑白膠卷拿出來沖洗,以作為牆壁裝飾用。就這樣,200多張紀錄著新山歷史面貌的影像,才以實像曝光。

沒想到,洋人遊客經過這間店時,眼球給黑白色的老新山吸引,於是把照片買下來。加上後來護照再也不需要外拍人頭照,“柔佛攝影”變相為賣柔佛老照片的地方。

當年,廖蔚平知道那年代工作難找,所以拉了孩子跟在身邊學習。但是,照相館隨著科技進步而急流勇退,就像百多年前,黑白照片的出現把畫像淘汰了,而今,數碼相機更強勢地擊退了黑白照片。

新山是廖國財生于斯,長于斯的土地,看著父親遺留下來的照片,每張情景,都是他熟悉的畫面。因為喜歡,才會收藏,不然,這些珍貴的歷史畫面,就不會流傳至今。

“海峽之新山遠景”依舊掛在簡陋的照相館裡。這間兩層式的老店,終究要歸還給主人,他說:“到時,我要把父親留下來的這些黑白老新山帶回家。”

Last edited:
Hi Bro, see the below link for address, its just beside the local council "MBJB"

Map of Jalan Tan Hiok Nee -

Note this area is a bit "ah-hem" during night time.... day time is ok though...

Its a short walk from City square and there is a old style kopi shop nearby...:)

Last edited:
Tan Hiok Nee St is just next to Jalan Wong Ah Fook. Been there quite often for the past 2 months. Best to go on a weekday. weekend will be too crowded. lots of photo opportunities.

Kin Wah Kopitiam, one of the oldest kopitiam in that area.

Bells at Johore Old Temple

Johore Old Temple

you may refer to my JBOG outing to have some idea what to shoot around there.
why not join our next JB outing. I would organise once a month

Thanks for the great feedbacks! :)

I am going to focus only on the Photographic shop, as they have large format cameras and also old Singapore and JB photos of the past era.

JBOG is a good suggest. Zguy, you consider?

Hi Bro, see the below link for address, its just beside the local council "MBJB"

Note this area is a bit "ah-hem" during night time.... day time is ok though...
Its a short walk from City square and there is a old style kopi shop nearby...:)

I think I know this place, last time usually was driving by.

Is this place crime ridden? I thought they redeveloped into Chinese Culture Street?

it would be nice to have a 1 day trip over the weekend. jon, you organising?

I think I know this place, last time usually was driving by.

Is this place crime ridden? I thought they redeveloped into Chinese Culture Street?

Bro, i don't think you want me to scare you with another "true story" right? there are some "black areas" in Jb, area around MBJB is one of them during after working hours...:)

Just avoid that area during night time, police and town council's staff are a plenty during day time... no worries

Nice one. Most likely I would organize a TLR or old cam meet for this area.

I can arrange one any weekend. been doing this since Sep 11.
may be we shall set this 6th April ?

I am very used to be guided by GPS and drive around. Can't do that for group.

On foot, we need a local/master to guide. I think we go on foot better.

Jon

Already we have a leader.

Ok lets plan and start a new thread?

sure..will open a thread by today. stay tuned. more than happy to do this...yes. we can just walk around if it is old town.
but you guys want to go out that area, then i would need to arrange van transport..may be even pick u guys up from woodland and send back after the outing.

I can be one of the tour guide in the JB old town as i am quite familiar there and sometimes i am shooting over there too. If you all want to come, i can bring you all go around. I am Cha.

We used to pass this road all the time before the traffic route was diverted due to new JBCIQ. The bus 170 coming from Singapore would wind around pass this road on its way into JB. Just behind Wong Ah Fook, no need for personal guide at all. As to crime, don't show off your money/flashy cars/expensive cameras, don't talk like yaya Singaporean insulting how backward JB is...and don't shout CHEAP! in front of all the Johoreans in the coffeeshop/restaurant when served food in JB - it is very rude.