Johor circuit Track Day

siewsphone

Feb 7, 2002
Visit site
I'm thinking of going down to Johor Circuit to try out my new lens this sunday, anyone been there before? Any advise for a first time speed shooting like me? :embrass:

Gudang? well, unless you can venture elsewhere along the track, you're pretty much stuck to the grandstand and pit area, T1, T3 and T10 are pretty interesting corners. Track's pretty small, i reckon a 70-200 on a crop body will do, or perhaps a 100-400 for tighter crop. remember your tripod or monopod. Bring lotsa insect repellant!

And watch the traffic if you're shooting in the pits!

Gudang? well, unless you can venture elsewhere along the track, you're pretty much stuck to the grandstand and pit area, T1, T3 and T10 are pretty interesting corners. Track's pretty small, i reckon a 70-200 on a crop body will do, or perhaps a 100-400 for tighter crop. remember your tripod or monopod. Bring lotsa insect repellant!

And watch the traffic if you're shooting in the pits!

Yup, I bought the Sigma 70-200 f2.8, thanks for the guidance, I believe it will give me a great help :thumbsup:

I'm thinking of going down to Johor Circuit to try out my new lens this sunday, anyone been there before? Any advise for a first time speed shooting like me? :embrass:

you could see most of the track turns 1, 2, 11, 12 from the roof of the pit bldg so you could camp there with a tripod and a zoom lens nice topview panning shots of cars on the main straight could be taken from there turns 6 to 9 is a downhill section so nice multicar racing action shots can be taken there.

please see track layout http://www.johorcircuit.com.my/images/Tracklayout2.jpg

any chance i could tag along? hehehe split the gas maybe have fun....

you could see most of the track turns 1, 2, 11, 12 from the roof of the pit bldg so you could camp there with a tripod and a zoom lens nice topview panning shots of cars on the main straight could be taken from there turns 6 to 9 is a downhill section so nice multicar racing action shots can be taken there.

please see track layout http://www.johorcircuit.com.my/images/Tracklayout2.jpg

any chance i could tag along? hehehe split the gas maybe have fun....

Thanks for the infomation. I will be in Johor for the whole weekend, if you don't mind to meet me at Malaysia custom, I can pick you up ;)

Actually I was thinking to reach there around 9am, will it be too early? :think:

according to the website

bikes 9am-1pm
cars 1pm-5pm

but im not sure if that sched is accurate since i was only there for F1 2010 shakedown and not trackday

by the way will you be going back to SG sunday evening?

was there 2-3 years back. They were quite strict on photography, even though we know the organizing commitees on the SG side.

Used a 80-400 lens but found it too heavy to manuveure. Remb that the track is quite wide and the bikers usually end up on the far end with whole lot of forest and background. hard to a gd capture with nice bokeh.

U can see some pics here: http://www.flickr.com/groups/sg_bikes/

My other friend, KP, did a shot like this by ambushing the bikes as they leave the pitstop. Slower in speed, but nevertheless impossible to freeze motion because of lateral movements...

Pit Lane by XXVIII, on Flickr

hope this helps.

according to the website

bikes 9am-1pm
cars 1pm-5pm

but im not sure if that sched is accurate since i was only there for F1 2010 shakedown and not trackday

by the way will you be going back to SG sunday evening?

Not going back, will stay overnight in JB, I can drop you at Malaysia custom end of the day :cool:

Sounds like very challenging, are the grandstand and pit area crowded? Will there be a lot photographer there?

was there 2-3 years back. They were quite strict on photography, even though we know the organizing commitees on the SG side.

Used a 80-400 lens but found it too heavy to manuveure. Remb that the track is quite wide and the bikers usually end up on the far end with whole lot of forest and background. hard to a gd capture with nice bokeh.

U can see some pics here: http://www.flickr.com/groups/sg_bikes/

My other friend, KP, did a shot like this by ambushing the bikes as they leave the pitstop. Slower in speed, but nevertheless impossible to freeze motion because of lateral movements...

Pit Lane by XXVIII, on Flickr

hope this helps.

This is not a gallery section.

Well, I guess I qualify as a Moderator :bsmilie:

Please move your photos to the Sports and Reportage section.

The problem is, in a discussion thread, if several thousand members clutter up their threads with photos, it will lead to total chaos.

Hope you understand. ;)

hahaha....after i removed all the photos then only realized that this topic already moved to Sports and Reportage section.... LOL

By the way, sorry to all the inconvenience caused :)

Last edited: