Japanese cameraman dies in Bangkok clashes

roadrunner_552

Aug 16, 2005
East
BANGKOK - A Japanese cameraman was killed in Bangkok during clashes between soldiers and protesters, the TV station Nation Channel said, but the report could not be immediately confirmed.

Thai security forces called for a truce with anti-government protesters after a crackdown sparked street fighting that left at least three dead and more than 300 injured.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_asiapacific/view/1049244/1/.html

I was once told by a journalist, in such a situation, his own life is at stake. Even hotels are not preferred choice to stay.

Robbery is common. Death is statistics. The sense of satisfaction is great when one return unharmed.

However, it pisses one off when the boss only concern is the tape and not about how they survived the sheet.

oh geez... this is sad. then again, this is common for bosses ard the world, i guess. :(

oh geez... this is sad. then again, this is common for bosses ard the world, i guess. :(

well. i doubt the boss was feeling good. can u imagine tat the cameraman family would be like blaming him and the guilt he felt? afterall the cameraman was his team haha. anyone with feelings wont feel good.

Sigh what a waste. But photojournalists going into conflict zones know the risks.

A japanese friend told me, this particular photographer was no 'war-photographer', and was not so experienced in this kind of situations. He was a replacement, because the photographer who was there was sick.......

HS

may i wish he will rest in peace. the best is to avoid the site of confrontation; especially right in the middle of the red and the green. doesn't reuter provide bullet proof vest to them?

to add: can't they shoot at a distance with a telephoto?

Last edited:
may i wish he will rest in peace. the best is to avoid the site of confrontation; especially right in the middle of the red and the green. doesn't reuter provide bullet proof vest to them?

to add: can't they shoot at a distance with a telephoto?

Sometimes you don't have luxury of distance, nor time, nor space. While anyone can get pictures with iphone, a photojournalist have to get real pictures that tell true stories. Pictures can make a riot looks like only 5 persons participated, or 5000 persons. That could mean a variety of focal lengths, but wide angles are common among journalists.

Also shoot with telephoto have a risk of it being mistaken as a Rocket Propelled Grenade launcher.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/06/world/middleeast/06baghdad.html?sudsredirect=true

No bullet proof vest is really bullet proof. It is bulky and heavy to wear one. A person can wear one and still get stabbed or bludgeoned or stampeded, to death.

So who wanna be a photographer?

Sometimes you don't have luxury of distance, nor time, nor space. While anyone can get pictures with iphone, a photojournalist have to get real pictures that tell true stories. Pictures can make a riot looks like only 5 persons participated, or 5000 persons. That could mean a variety of focal lengths, but wide angles are common among journalists.

Also shoot with telephoto have a risk of it being mistaken as a Rocket Propelled Grenade launcher.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/06/world/middleeast/06baghdad.html?sudsredirect=true

No bullet proof vest is really bullet proof. It is bulky and heavy to wear one. A person can wear one and still get stabbed or bludgeoned or stampeded, to death.

So who wanna be a photographer?
btw, there is this Kevlar made bullet vest..

I guess, this is the pain being a photojournalist

My condolences to the family of the cameraman. On a side note, wearing Kevlar doesn't really guarantee 100 % safety these days. It merely reduces the risks of penetration on areas that are protected by it from small arms fire. It most probably won't shield a person from the larger calibre rounds (HMGs, etc).

ANY loss of life is very sad .........RIP and condolences to the family

this is the 2nd Japanese photog killed in recent times ? I believe a Japanese photog was also killed during the Burmese monks protest in Burma a couple of years back?

Its all in the Job criteria. Guess its one job you've to be absolutely commitment free. Family, Friends and what nots. Some are just addicted to such adrenaline...