Japan (Hokkaido & Tokyo) in Jan 2009 Advise needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ask u guys, during the ski-ing, how to bring camera along? No way right? unless we just do snow shoeing rite?

was there just last week.
amazing place. drop by the ski mountains for a ski day if your time allows it. the scenaries are pretty beautiful too!

for the clothes, you actually dont have to bring that much. i barely wore half what i expected. haha a good inner piece (long john) and maybe a cashmere pullover,tees, jeans, and a good (at least two piece) outer wear. oh! and disposable underwears. you would last quite awhile :D

I heard the heater pack is cheaper by 40% in Japan. Is it true?

Well... you are all set then... hope to run into you in Tokyo then. :)

Beanies:- http://oakley.com/category/489
just make sure there is a fleece lining and remember keep those ears warm...

Keep your spare battery warm. I would get these chemical warmers(or something equivalent) :- http://www.heatfactory.com/english/

Get the Japanese ones sold at OG (next to centerpoint), on the top floor next to the mushroom hot pot place.. buy a bunch of it. Or head to wintertime or cold wear (Suntec or marina square or vivo). Rip 1 or 2 and keep it with your battery. Everytime I ski I have 2 in my chest pocket to keep my camera warm.

Ask u guys, during the ski-ing, how to bring camera along? No way right? unless we just do snow shoeing rite?

I bring my point and shoot... Panasonic Lumix. :) Leica lens. Can't go wrong... fit in my ski jacket nicely.

I heard the heater pack is cheaper by 40% in Japan. Is it true?

No idea... I have so many from singapore. I never need to buy there... don't buy the pocket alcohol heaters ... I got mine confiscated at the airport.... twice.

It's not expensive in singapore... don't worry.

Last edited:
Okie Dokes. Thanks for the advice. Appreciate all your efforts!

P1020941.jpg

This why I bring my point and shoot and not my main camera.

And yes..... I was freezing.

Actually I would be more tempted to bring my DSLR and stuffs to shoot in winter. It is sooooo beautiful and different. Nxt trip nxt trip .. ( itchy )

Ryan

Just got back from Hokkaido last week. Went with tour group tho.

It was rather cold there esp in central mountain area eg Furano where ski resorts are at -6 to -7 deg but much colder when the wind was blowing.

For clothing, a long john helps alot. After long john, you probably need 1-2 piece outer wear and a jacket. Like others said, a waterproof outermost wear is important because with all the snow stuck to the clothing, this will turn into water when you get into the comfort of shelter. Bearnie is a must I think because it protects your ears (can get painful if too cold), scarf helpful (altho I find it uncomfortable like being hanged!!:bsmilie:), gloves thick waterproof ones. I have a wool one which does not help much.

Brought a pns and dSLR. Find the pns battery ran out very very fast after just 3-4 photos without flash mainly due to the cold. dSLR does not have this problem. I normally hide the camera under my jacket after taking photos to keep them warm. Do not have battery problem. Also do not experience misting problem when camera taken out after going into shelter (thankfully).

One problem with taking photos during snowing is how to protect the camera from the snow. Initially was apprehensive about shooting in the snow:sweat:, but urge to shoot overwhelms my fear. Had a fair share of snow dropping on my camera but generally just brush off what is possible. Yes, my camera is still working :bsmilie:. On hindsight, the biggest problem is not with the batteries, camera or snow but the fingers. I can get so cold to the point of being painful if exposed too long to try to catch a nice photos esp when I was on Mt Hakodate at -5deg with the wind blowing!

Hokkaido is very nice and the Japanese are very very friendly. It will be a very memorable experience.

Basically, trains is how you will usually travel. Almost all the place you want to go can be reached through trains.

There's something call Hyperdia. It's freaking useful, type in your location then your destination and all the routes and stuffs will come out.

Here's a few train/line supposing you are staying in Sapporo.
  1. Otaru -- JR HAKODATE LINE
  2. Noboribetsu -- HOKUTO/SUPER HOKUTO
  3. Niseko -- JR HAKODATE LINE

You are recommended to wear long john by me. Because, long john is like about 3 layer of clothes so, it's kind of stupid (yeah) to not wear long john. When I was in Hokkaido during Dec this year, a cotton long john, a long sleeve t-shirt and a jacket will suffice.

List of recommended hotel/where I stayed

Tokyo - Kinuya Hotel 13200¥ -- I stayed in Ueno which is about 10 and 15 minutes from Shinjuku and Shibuya respectively.
Sapporo - Aspen Sapporo ¥10200 -- 5 minutes from Sapporo Station.

And, have fun. I still want to go Japan after two times.

Last edited:
Whao:bigeyes: where u got this from!! It's really useful. I've been searching for such tool or info.

Basically, trains is how you will usually travel. Almost all the place you want to go can be reached through trains.

There's something call Hyperdia. It's freaking useful, type in your location then your destination and all the routes and stuffs will come out.

Here's a few train/line supposing you are staying in Sapporo.
  1. Otaru -- JR HAKODATE LINE
  2. Noboribetsu -- HOKUTO/SUPER HOKUTO
  3. Niseko -- JR HAKODATE LINE

You are recommended to wear long john by me. Because, long john is like about 3 layer of clothes so, it's kind of stupid (yeah) to not wear long john. When I was in Hokkaido during Dec this year, a cotton long john, a long sleeve t-shirt and a jacket will suffice.

List of recommended hotel/where I stayed

Tokyo - Kinuya Hotel 13200¥ -- I stayed in Ueno which is about 10 and 15 minutes from Shinjuku and Shibuya respectively.
Sapporo - Aspen Sapporo ¥10200 -- 5 minutes from Sapporo Station.

And, have fun. I still want to go Japan after two times.

:think: then the pns camera keep warm then it will come back on working mode or not? i onli got one spare batt for my pns camera :what:

Is 3 batteries enuf to survive on 1 day for DSLR Camera?

Just got back from Hokkaido last week. Went with tour group tho.

It was rather cold there esp in central mountain area eg Furano where ski resorts are at -6 to -7 deg but much colder when the wind was blowing.

For clothing, a long john helps alot. After long john, you probably need 1-2 piece outer wear and a jacket. Like others said, a waterproof outermost wear is important because with all the snow stuck to the clothing, this will turn into water when you get into the comfort of shelter. Bearnie is a must I think because it protects your ears (can get painful if too cold), scarf helpful (altho I find it uncomfortable like being hanged!!:bsmilie:), gloves thick waterproof ones. I have a wool one which does not help much.

Brought a pns and dSLR. Find the pns battery ran out very very fast after just 3-4 photos without flash mainly due to the cold. dSLR does not have this problem. I normally hide the camera under my jacket after taking photos to keep them warm. Do not have battery problem. Also do not experience misting problem when camera taken out after going into shelter (thankfully).

One problem with taking photos during snowing is how to protect the camera from the snow. Initially was apprehensive about shooting in the snow:sweat:, but urge to shoot overwhelms my fear. Had a fair share of snow dropping on my camera but generally just brush off what is possible. Yes, my camera is still working :bsmilie:. On hindsight, the biggest problem is not with the batteries, camera or snow but the fingers. I can get so cold to the point of being painful if exposed too long to try to catch a nice photos esp when I was on Mt Hakodate at -5deg with the wind blowing!

Hokkaido is very nice and the Japanese are very very friendly. It will be a very memorable experience.

I think 3 batteries is good enough for a DSLR, I never used more than 2 when I was in Hokkaido.

Mt Moiwa is a very nice place, but very very cold on top since there are sometimes strong winds up there (strong enough to blow away a 190DB tripod)

incidentally ill be heading there the same period u are

the main problem now with japan travel is the strong yen

ot: u have a cool food blog!

:think: then the pns camera keep warm then it will come back on working mode or not? i onli got one spare batt for my pns camera :what:

Is 3 batteries enuf to survive on 1 day for DSLR Camera?

The batteries will be working after being warmed up but only last 1-3 shots. I never change batteries for 2 days with dSLR and not because they ran out just not fully charged. I did not use my spare at all

The batteries will be working after being warmed up but only last 1-3 shots. I never change batteries for 2 days with dSLR and not because they ran out just not fully charged. I did not use my spare at all

goodness!! dslr really drains battery fast! .. i'm now thinking of bringing my film or dslr to hokkaido..

btw hazelng, i;m heading there during 23rd jan to 2nd feb !! and to most of the places u going as well!

goodness!! dslr really drains battery fast! .. i'm now thinking of bringing my film or dslr to hokkaido..

btw hazelng, i;m heading there during 23rd jan to 2nd feb !! and to most of the places u going as well!

PnS you mean and not dSLR;)

the batteries doesn't drain so fast... we are talking about point and shoot camera (compact camera) that the batteries drain out very fast. cos it's small and get cold easily.

Oh u heading with? got any itinerary to share?

i see.. i tot dslr also drains fast under cold climates.. anyways, I'm heading to sapporo, otaru, noboribetsu, hakodate... and back to tokyo.. tats abt it.. itenary wise i guess would be pretty much the same places u found on the web.. cuz i also found them online.. lol..

Status
Not open for further replies.