Winter Hokkaido

#66 - Shopping time..:sweat:
4391888098_b504aa0ae4.jpg

4391993930_02aa486b86.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, i will be going to Hokkaido in Jan next yrs. I read from my Canon manual they say that the camera can only function from 0 degree to 40 degree. So can i used the camera when the temperature hit sub 0 degree? And the battery will drain very fast right?

Very nice Photos .
Thanks for sharing .

Great series! Keep posting

Hi, i will be going to Hokkaido in Jan next yrs. I read from my Canon manual they say that the camera can only function from 0 degree to 40 degree. So can i used the camera when the temperature hit sub 0 degree? And the battery will drain very fast right?

Don't worry. Your camera will still function. Anyway, you are not going to hang around your neck the whole day, right? Battery life will be shorten, so do bring a spare with you.

Enjoy this series. Very beautiful photos. =]

Dun worry, the camera will work even at -10 degree. My very old canon powershotS3 still worked at -4 degree.

Can i know what camera you are using?If you are using the latest camera models, battery life will not be affected.

I used the 30D in 2007 and the battery went flat very fast and i have to charge it everyday.
Last Feb, i am using 5D2 and one battery can last be 1 day with 2 bars left and shooting out in the cold.
I even put the camera out in -8 degree for about 3 hours and still left with 3 bars.

So dun worry about the camera battery but of cos you need to bring at least 1 or 2 as spare. However for those AA or AAA batteries, you need to take note.

Very nice Photos .
Thanks for sharing .

thanks. Was not aware that the thread is active again since Mar10.

Great series! Keep posting

thanks

Don't worry. Your camera will still function. Anyway, you are not going to hang around your neck the whole day, right? Battery life will be shorten, so do bring a spare with you.

Yes agree. one battery will definitely last you the whole day unless you are those trigger happy person. Then might need at least 1 to 2 as spare.

Enjoy this series. Very beautiful photos. =]

Thanks, Glad that you like the photos. I missed Japan now.. :bsmilie:

Really like your photos and appreciate the fact that you included descriptions of your photos! Thanks!

great series you have... do u mind sharing what lenses u had eid u for the trip?

Thanks. I am using the 17-40mm F4L and the 135mm F2L with the 5D2 for this trip.

Really like your photos and appreciate the fact that you included descriptions of your photos! Thanks!

Thanks bro. Hokkaido is a photographer's heaven across all the 4 different season and i am only capturing less than 30% of it.
Hope to be there again in Aug to capture the colorful flowers.

any special precaution or technique when upon changing lens at cold weather ? any risk of condensation ?

I read that use a ziplock bag for keeping the camera when bringing the camera from cold to warm places..did u use that technique or juz normal ones..

Thanks !

any special precaution or technique when upon changing lens at cold weather ? any risk of condensation ?

I read that use a ziplock bag for keeping the camera when bringing the camera from cold to warm places..did u use that technique or juz normal ones..

Thanks !

There is no way you can change lens out there when it is snowing. Always look for shelter if you really need to change lenses. Also take note when it is snow, with weather sealed body, it should be fine cos when the snow touches the cam, it will melt and my 5D2 and lens is always wet but i wipe it with my scarf now and then to keep it dry.

Condensation is common in such weather. When there is condensation, leave your camera alone and most importantly, do not bring out into the cold again. If not your condensation will freeze and there is nothing i can help you.
Let the condensation goes away by itself.

Of cos the ziplock back can prevent condensation but if your camera is out in the cold for a long period of time, nothing willl stop the condensation. I did not use any bag but it is recommended by everyone so try to bring 1 for your trip.

Try to take out your camera only when you want to shoot, if not leave it in your bag. This way will greatly reduced the condensation from occuring.