ixus40 or 430?buying tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
cooking said:
I was told besides the bigger screens, smaller size of ixus 40, the functions are about the same with 430. A check on the price with various shops, the difference in price amounted to $150. Furthermore, they offer 258 mb card for 430 and only 128 for ixus 40.I take mostly children / family shots on outings. Budget is tight.Which one shall I go for?

So which camera did you get? :think:

lrrp77 said:
IXUS 40.

Juz bought mine on X'mas eve & took it for my honeymoon. Did not regret my choice:)

Same here! Got it on Dec 30 before flying to Las Vegas and I really enjoy using the camera, fast startup and focus. My frens got attracted and is intending to buy too!

Just bought myself an IXUS 40 about 2 weeks back. Pretty nifty for a camera its size. However, I find that the color in the pictures it took pretty washed out & bland as compared to an old Sony 707 that I have :(. I don't mean to start a Canon/Sony religious war here, but that is what happened to me.

As I am still a newbie, any advice on improving the bland colors would help. Thanx :).

nyxx88 said:
Just bought myself an IXUS 40 about 2 weeks back. Pretty nifty for a camera its size. However, I find that the color in the pictures it took pretty washed out & bland as compared to an old Sony 707 that I have :(. I don't mean to start a Canon/Sony religious war here, but that is what happened to me.

As I am still a newbie, any advice on improving the bland colors would help. Thanx :).

not fair that you cannot compare these 2 cameras! totally different class! the sony 707 of cos better than the ixus 40 in terms of image quality simply by virtue of its much larger and better lens.

as for color, maybe you are used to sony's over-saturated "consumer color" which is not as natural/accurate as canon, IMO.

nad said:
not fair that you cannot compare these 2 cameras! totally different class! the sony 707 of cos better than the ixus 40 in terms of image quality simply by virtue of its much larger and better lens.

as for color, maybe you are used to sony's over-saturated "consumer color" which is not as natural/accurate as canon, IMO.

Thanx for replying Nad.

Hmm... from what you said, seems like I can 'rectify' the so-called blandness by tweaking the pictures in PS is it?

And what is the "consumer color" thing that you mentioned? Is it a mode that can be turned on and off?

nyxx88 said:
Thanx for replying Nad.

Hmm... from what you said, seems like I can 'rectify' the so-called blandness by tweaking the pictures in PS is it?

And what is the "consumer color" thing that you mentioned? Is it a mode that can be turned on and off?

sony cameras are infamous for their overly saturated, "bright" colors, which some people like, but which aren't necessarily the most accurate colors. may or may not be a problem. if u like Velvia....... :p

not sure if the newer Sony cameras exhibit this behaviour though.

nyxx88 said:
Thanx for replying Nad.

Yeah, what Red Dawn said is true, not sure abt their current models, never try before, but from the reviews, seems that the colors are still processed to be on the more saturated side, just like Fuji cameras (super saturated!).

Yes, you can tweak the color in photoshop, just increase contrast and saturation by around 10~15% and you should get what you prefer.

"Consumer color" is just a description that most users prefer their photos to have bright and saturated colors that jump out at them, even if the actual object/scene taken is not that way, so all photos always look bright, colorful and cheerful.

Most pros, on the other hand, prefers more neutral colors as they are a better representation of the real world actual color. Having photos taken this way also allow greater control as it is easier to tweak a neutral color photo to suit your preference rather than trying to mute the oversaturated colors from a photo that is processed to be that way in the digicam.

Such neutral images are my personal preference which is why I only go for Canon, Nikon and especially Olympus cameras known for their neutral accurate colors. To each his own I guess.

Thanx Nad & Red Dawn for the explanation :). I will take note of that as I learn more about DP. The Sony 707 was my first & the Canon IXUS 40 is my second one -- wanted one that is small & convenient to tote around.

Have to admit that my Canon is much faster than my Sony, probably because of DIGIC II processor.

Hi all.. is there some twicking soung coming from you lens when you tries to focus?? my seems rather loud, not sure if its normal or I got a faulty set.. old S40 dun have such sound...

Status
Not open for further replies.