ISO test: Mirrorless interchangable lens cameras

M43 n nex n nx sensors are totally different sizes. Might as well compare with a "full frame" sensor? Without the test , I guess everyone know the conclusion . Buying a camera is not all about high iso

M43 n nex n nx sensors are totally different sizes. Might as well compare with a "full frame" sensor? Without the test , I guess everyone know the conclusion . Buying a camera is not all about high iso

NEX5 and NX10 uses the same sensor size.

I agree camera is not all about high ISO but in this thread, we are talking only about ISO...

Last edited:
NEX5 and NX10 uses the same sensor size.

I agree camera is not all about high ISO but in this thread, we are talking only about ISO...

Yes that why should just compare Sony n sumsung since they hv same size:)

Yes that why should just compare Sony n sumsung since they hv same size:)

I think the reviewer intention is to compare all the current ILC in the market, if not his review site would be quite empty with only 2 cameras....:sweat:

But if in terms of IQ and pricing, then I would say NEX is really a worthy winner as of now.

Well, for consumer market, wat more can be more important for the users other than price and image quality right? (ignoring lenses availability, UI, etc)

Well, for consumer market, wat more can be more important for the users other than price and image quality right? (ignoring lenses availability, UI, etc)

Yup, for those who keep asking for "cheap and good"

How much is the NEX5, NEX10 and NX10 in the market now? If above SGD1000, do you think worth it? I think there are some entry level DSLR cameras which are selling below SGD900, are they better than NEX5, NEX10 and NX10?

How much is the NEX5, NEX10 and NX10 in the market now? If above SGD1000, do you think worth it? I think there are some entry level DSLR cameras which are selling below SGD900, are they better than NEX5, NEX10 and NX10?

Should be in the 1k to 1.2k range compared to DSLRs.

Performance wise I can only say , all of them are like knives . Long knives , short knives , which knife that lets you cut more meat with more shiokness is the knife for you. Cheers :)

As mentioned, these mirrorless ILCs are NOT meant to replace DSLRs, especially the NEXs.

The NEXs are high end consumer camera with DSLR image quality, but its more of an auto-mode camera for people who wanna just take photos without worrying about what shutter speed, what aperture to use etc.

The DSLRs offers more control over how u want to take ur picture, there will still be alot of people who will prefer a DSLR due to this reason alone.

As mentioned, these mirrorless ILCs are NOT meant to replace DSLRs, especially the NEXs.

The NEXs are high end consumer camera with DSLR image quality, but its more of an auto-mode camera for people who wanna just take photos without worrying about what shutter speed, what aperture to use etc.

The DSLRs offers more control over how u want to take ur picture, there will still be alot of people who will prefer a DSLR due to this reason alone.

What control does ILCs lack of? I never use auto mode with my ILC at all. Got all the controls I need, change whatever settings as easy as a DSLR, either with a dedicated button or just by turning dial, customized in whatever way I like.

It's more of ergonomics, holding a DSLR (with a big lens especially) is definitely better than a small ILC. And of course, many limitations of ILC, but control is just not one of them...

P.S I'm not using a nex.

Last edited:
Interesting article.

What control does ILCs lack of? I never use auto mode with my ILC at all. Got all the controls I need, change whatever settings as easy as a DSLR, either with a dedicated button or just by turning dial, customized in whatever way I like.

It's more of ergonomics, holding a DSLR (with a big lens especially) is definitely better than a small ILC. And of course, many limitations of ILC, but control is just not one of them...

P.S I'm not using a nex.

Yes. I would agree that the NEX is one of the least featured ILC cameras. Even lens selection is poorly conceived - 16mm is far too wide for everyday use.

The only real appeal is the APS-C sensor with good IQ. But is that enough I wonder?

Last edited:

I don't believe that there is a NEX10. Perhaps you meant NEX3 instead.

ILC cameras are more expensive than regular DSLRs, but I do believe the prices are dropping.

Lens selection is poorer - but you only need a few to start with, and the selection is improving all the time with adapters.

Performance is less than that of regular DSLRs, but still more than enough for the average user. In short, you won't notice the difference unless your shooting sports in dim light all the time.

Portability is unmatched. If you can carry around your camera with ease you will shoot more and take more pictures. This is the most important thing eventually!

It all depends on needs and want. There are people who wants much much more portable camera set with performance close to DSLR, they also want more space in their bag and ease of access for camera (Climbing or backpacking travel). The sensor size isn't very much smaller than DSLR and the test photos are at 100%. If you compare a canon 550D with the kit lens, to the sony NEX10 with the kit lens, you find even 550D kit lens IQ at wide open actually performs poorer than the NEX10.

BTW for your info, even DSLR at ISO 1600 with 100% also produce quite an amount of noise. Noise is also affected by your exposure as well.

I understand the skeptic ideals about such product. But on another side, just think that the product isn't designed for your use as you have big big muscle to carry heavier camera.:bsmilie:

Performance is less than that of regular DSLRs, but still more than enough for the average user. In short, you won't notice the difference unless your shooting sports in dim light all the time.

Portability is unmatched. If you can carry around your camera with ease you will shoot more and take more pictures. This is the most important thing eventually!

i second your statement about carry around more with ease is nice..

but you will notice the difference shooting a DSLR la.. its just what level is acceptable to different people, some people see a photo from PnS they also wah so nice.. some people see a photo from a 7D they also dunno how to appreciate..

at the end of the day.. its to each his own..

i second your statement about carry around more with ease is nice..

but you will notice the difference shooting a DSLR la.. its just what level is acceptable to different people, some people see a photo from PnS they also wah so nice.. some people see a photo from a 7D they also dunno how to appreciate..

at the end of the day.. its to each his own..

If you compare the image quality of a 7D with an APS-C based ILC camera like the NEX and NX10, I bet you that you would not be able to tell the difference. Especially against the NEX, since it has very good high ISO and dynamic range, if not better than the 7D. Provided the optics are the same of course.

I think NEX5 is good idea and really a more portable way as a back up camera...i couldnt decide which lens to get with, 16mm or 18-200...

I think NEX5 is good idea and really a more portable way as a back up camera...i couldnt decide which lens to get with, 16mm or 18-200...

I would say avoid the 16mm. It is not a particularly sharp lens and the equivalent focal length of 24mm is too wide for normal use. It is more suitable for interior/architectural shots or landscapes. The 18-200mm is better for all round use but then the small form is lost.

The NX10+30mm is a better street package IMO.

i will prefer the 16mm though (if i hv an NEX that is).

Cos when I use my 70-200mm (on FF), I can bring along an NEX with 16mm prime (24mm FOV), just so that I dont hv to change lens if I need to take landscape shots.

Also for those cosplay events, the 70-200mm will be great for portrait shots, but sometimes the cosplayers likes to gather in a group, then it'll be too troublesome/time consuming to change lens. Thats where a NEX + 16mm will come into use for taking group shot.

but Nx10 is like a DSLR

If you compare the image quality of a 7D with an APS-C based ILC camera like the NEX and NX10, I bet you that you would not be able to tell the difference. Especially against the NEX, since it has very good high ISO and dynamic range, if not better than the 7D. Provided the optics are the same of course.

Now you remind me, why isn't there anyone who compares about dynamic range for ILC. Do you guys loves to use HDR so much to retrive lost details. Camera should also try to improve on dynamic range to as close to as human eye possible.

Actually, when a product is designed, it is design to market to a group of people. For the 7D, it is more towards sports and action shooters who need speed. There are alot of case where people post in clubsnap about what camera they should get. They should actually ask themself what do they actually wants to shoot. What is the few most important functions they NEED when they go looking for a camera. "Nothing" is perfect,

I am "Nothing".

Camera should also try to improve on dynamic range to as close to as human eye possible.

That's why the Sony's have in-camera HDR. :)

They should actually ask themself what do they actually wants to shoot. What is the few most important functions they NEED when they go looking for a camera. "Nothing" is perfect,

Then you should read the "Help me choose a camera" threads better. All of them say "Sports, low light, portraits, macro and landscape".

They themselves don't know what they want. Me? I'm mainly a portrait and landscape shooter, so I know what I got. :)