Dec 4, 2003
Hi guys,

do u think this pic is underexposed ?
took it at SBG.

http://web.singnet.com.sg/~mwijaya/IMG_0164_Small.JPG

This is the histrogram from photoshop..
histogram.jpg

The histogram looks fine to me :)
but the pic looks dark on left side or is it my monitor ?

cheers & beers,
awie

:bsmilie: not sure whether I am right but I think the histogram indicate the picture is a little too dark as it tends towards the left. :bsmilie:

didn't know histogram can see from left to right one.....thought it only can see what intensity of light is in the picture.....darker areas on the left while lighter areas is on the right and the amplitude indicates how much intensity....i may be wrong...

Nope... Exposure is just right.

The left side of your pic looks darker because it's the shadow of the trees, & that part is 3 EV less than the sky. if U overexpose the same pic by 3EV, that part will be properly exposed, but your sky will be total white.

AReality said:
Nope... Exposure is just right.

The left side of your pic looks darker because it's the shadow of the trees, & that part is 3 EV less than the sky. if U overexpose the same pic by 3EV, that part will be properly exposed, but your sky will be total white.

Wow.. thanks for the reply, dude.. :)
but how u know its 3 EV less than the sky ?

ah.. me need to read more..

cheers & beers,
awie

ahh SBG :)
im sure with photoshop, you are able to bring the levels on the left side of the picture up.. im not photoshop guru so i won't know how :bsmilie:
initially i was thinking of a crop towards the right but i noticed you've got the nice curve thats on the left.. better to keep that
juz 2 cents worth of comments from a newbie.. haha ;)

F34r said:
ahh SBG :)
im sure with photoshop, you are able to bright the levels on the left side of the picture up.. im not photoshop guru so i won't know how :bsmilie:
This should be easily done using the Shadows/Highlights function in Photoshop CS. ;)

ah see photoshop pro lai liao :bsmilie:

its up to the creator of the picture...
if the whole picture is filled with sillouttes with just a few bright parts, and i meant it to be that way, its PERFECTLY exposed... the histogram means nothing to me.

as long as you like the picture.

Histrogram only shows the distribution of light/dark portions of the image and whether highlights/shadows are clipped. It cannot tell you if the exposure is 'correct'.

it's leaning to the under side.....

open up LEVELS and pull the center fader to the (darker side) peak to see the difference Click OK and then open up LEVELS again to see the new histogram for finetune

Status
Not open for further replies.