Is this humidity reading normal??

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok... thanks for all those comments

has the dial ever moved since you used the box? ;p

has the dial ever moved since you used the box? ;p

yes it does... the lowest it ever goes is at 70 only... but i don't understand how come my room or my dry box is under wet environment??

yes it does... the lowest it ever goes is at 70 only... but i don't understand how come my room or my dry box is under wet environment??
juz throw in more silica gel...

can u take a picture of the dehumidifier that u threw inside?

you need to put in more silica gel... try putting some in a old sock (about half a fist full), tie it up and dump it in over night.

try it get it to about 50%, if still too high - put in more, if too low - take out some.

hope this helps.

why not just get a dry cabinet, its not that expensive also?

491211886_4f7d1d6eaa.jpg

Comments please... is this normal??

i'm using the same dry box. and as they said in the previous posts, you can try adding more silica gel packs to absorb the moisture. also check first the color of the silica gels under the hood. most likely, it's already pink (not absorbing anymore). if you don't want to reheat it using a microwave (toxic reasons), you can buy a jar of silica gel (blue color) and just replace the contents of the dehumidifier. you should see the meter go down to 40+ in just a few hours.

hope this helps.

surely there's a problem if it doesnt go below 70%. If you confirm that your silica pack is ready-to-go (blue rather than pink), I suggest it could be a faulty gyrometer?

Seriously. Go for a dry cabinet. One time purchase and you quit worrying about whether you i-Case is too dry or too wet.

Recommended RH for storing photography equipment is 40-50%. I personally prefer to keep mine at about 47%.

And you sure ask as though we owe you answers.

BTW, what has this got to do with Nikon?

its a DRY BOX!!!!!

sheesh dude, do u have to be so rude? :thumbsd:
its not their obligation to help u, but they were being nice and they did. and this is how u reply to them?
it doesnt matter if its a dry box or cabinet. the point here is 70+ is too humid for ur camera equipments.

Our enviromental humidity here in Singapore (I assume you live in Singapore) is above 85% so like it or not we are in a wet enviroment all the time unless you are in the A/C room.

I'm sorry for not noticing the "dry box". Recharge yr silica gel or what ever that you are using. I used a dry box as a transitional measure when my equipments are exposed to extreme high humidity like shooting in the rain before putting it into my dry cabinet to minimise cross contiaimination to my other gears in the cabinet. I have a re-chargable silica pack inside and normal humidity level is 40% but when i put my "wet" gears in it will shoot up to 70%++ but it will go down to 40-50% region in a few hours.

Sorry we over estimated yr equipments as most ppl here uses dry cabinets.

sorry, just wondering? nikon related?

Our enviromental humidity here in Singapore (I assume you live in Singapore) is above 85% so like it or not we are in a wet enviroment all the time unless you are in the A/C room.

I'm sorry for not noticing the "dry box". Recharge yr silica gel or what ever that you are using. I used a dry box as a transitional measure when my equipments are exposed to extreme high humidity like shooting in the rain before putting it into my dry cabinet to minimise cross contiaimination to my other gears in the cabinet. I have a re-chargable silica pack inside and normal humidity level is 40% but when i put my "wet" gears in it will shoot up to 70%++ but it will go down to 40-50% region in a few hours.

Sorry we over estimated yr equipments as most ppl here uses dry cabinets.

maybe i should try recharging the sillca gel inside and try it again.... if this happen too long... what will happen to my camera? like if the humid still maintain at 70 for a few days... what will happen to my camera?

em... this is the results after 3hrs... get it?

of coz i also know it take times to moist... but 3hrs?

Check your dry agent (silica gel, etc...). If it is still fresh... there should be no problem... you just need time.

If you have your equipment in there it can take 1/2 day or 1 whole day for the RH to drop... patience...

In my case, in wet weather, it can take up to 2 days to reach 40% with all my equipment inside.

BC

Hi GuoLiang...

I had used the same drybox before, recently... before changing to drycabi...
Just a suggestion, Ever try tapping the hydrometer? I ever used a drybox where by the meter kinda got stuck... after a few hours with new silica gel in it... (I assume u read the instructions and had removed the plastic wrap on the plastic holder)... the hydrometer didn't change its readings until i gave a light tap... which then move to a lower value reading... or change depending if u had open the box...

but take what others have advised, and check it again... this is just a suggestion that may or may not help...

good luck !

from what i have heard, the dehumidifiers like thirsty hippo etc contain chemicals that may .. or may not damage your equipment in the long run.

An electric dry cab would really save the hassle of changing or drying the silica gel for reuse etc.

If you take your camera and lens out to shoot all the time, you dun really need a dry box. Look at all the journalists, they dump their camera and lenses all over and their equipment stays sharp and fungus free.

A rolling stone gathers no moss. Shoot more, and worry less about such matters. :dent:

Status
Not open for further replies.