Is there a way to turn an overcast day into a sunny one?

haring

Nov 4, 2010
How do you turn an overcast day into a sunny day?
I have tried to adjust white balance and pulled up the yellows but I am just not totally happy with the results. The photos are warmer but it lacks the happy sunny glow. Is there a way to adjust/edit the the image so it looks like the photo was taken in a sunny day?

Thanks!

You can't, the difference between overcast and sunny has a lot more difference than just plain ol' simple color temperature. Good sun will give you contrasty results that you can't get during an overcast day. The latter will yield a photograph with much more linear tonal contrast. Good sun also helps to make colors "pop".

Here's an example photograph which shows characteristics that you would never get with an overcast day:

1) You won't get the light and shadow here in the foreground
2) The exposure on the man will be more or less uniform when it is cloudy, which doesn't make him stand out so much
3) The colors on the Rochor Centre blocks will be more subdued - you can boost them but the end result is different

There's a reason why photographers embrace good light so much (even though you *can* get good shots on overcast day too).

How do you turn an overcast day into a sunny day?
I have tried to adjust white balance and pulled up the yellows but I am just not totally happy with the results. The photos are warmer but it lacks the happy sunny glow. Is there a way to adjust/edit the the image so it looks like the photo was taken in a sunny day?

Thanks!

buy a stock photo of blue sky white cloud and PS it into your photo.

Gary fong tip..
Make the wb blue.. then use a flash with orange filter to compensate on your subject. ..