Is there a Ring Adaptor that allow Nikon to use Canon Lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stonely0

Jun 8, 2004
Singapore
www.alndesign.com
I was down at Penisula Plaza last weekend looking for a Mount that will allow Nikon Body to use Canon Lens but was told that there are no such products but i remember correctly that i have come across one online... or did i make a mistake?

Can anyone tell me is there really no such screw mount convertor that allow Nikon System to use Canon Lens?

cheers.

I seem to have read some thing somewhere that it's only possible for Canon to take Nikon lenses and not the other way round..... :dunno:

not possible for nikon body to use canon lens, canon uses 7 or 10 electrical contact points to control the lens. critical factor here lies in the fact that there is no manual apertual ring on canon lens. also the focusing distant info cant be communicated to the nikon body, but nikon flash system needs this info to cal. its light out put.

but canon body can use a adaptor ring to mount nikon lens because nikon lens has the manual apertual ring. so the lens basically function as a manual lens. there is no problem for canon flash system when using the nikon lens (=manual lens) even for the new e-ttl2 (will revert back to e-ttl if no focus distant feed back from the lens), e-ttl does not use focus distant to cal the flash light output.

pls note however, if using manual lens (be it nikon lens or otherwise) on canon body, the metering may be off by a few stop on some models (namely 30, 33, 5, 1, 1n) especially in spot metering mode. it may also be about 1 stop off in other metering mode. using diff apertual also affect the accuracy of the metering. i use a pratika 300mm f4 on D60 in eva meter mode. at f4 have to over expose 1 stop, at f8 it will be correct.

so important here if you so decide to use manual lens on canon body, do test shots, record all setting so you can "understand" the lens effect on metering.

if you are interested to know more on using manual lens on canon body, pls feel free to pm me.

oeyvind pointed me to the camera quest website, which sells adapters to let you use Nikon F-mount lenses on Canon EOS bodies. The website also tells you why you cannot do the reverse (EOS lenses on Nikon bodies). The gist of it: EOS lenses are completely electronic.

I just ordered my adapter.

denniskee said:
but canon body can use a adaptor ring to mount nikon lens because nikon lens has the manual apertual ring. so the lens basically function as a manual lens. there is no problem for canon flash system when using the nikon lens (=manual lens) even for the new e-ttl2 (will revert back to e-ttl if no focus distant feed back from the lens), e-ttl does not use focus distant to cal the flash light output.

hmm, so basically Canon users also cannot use the new Nikon G lenses because it's completely electronic too and has no aperture ring, right?

Yes, that is correct. Inorder for any make of camera body to use other than lens that are dedicated design, one needs adaptor ring and the lens to have aperture ring.

Wai said:
Isn't it easier just to get a Canon body to use your canon lenses?? :dunno:

I agree but the problem is that i have 2 system and 2 set of various lens. I just switch to Nikon recently. So now If i need to buy any lens i'll have to either buy 2 set for each system or sell away one of my system. Still deciding. :sweat:

manual lens is cheap compare to EF lens, got my 300 f4 really for a good price. worth if not using very frequently. dont feel the pain $$.

Status
Not open for further replies.