Is there a name for the size of prints from compact digicams?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David

Deregistered
Mar 21, 2002
Visit site
Sorry if my title description isn't clear... What I mean is 4R prints is 4 x 6 inches, or 3:2 ratio used commonly in film and DSLRs.

But for compact digicams (for reasons I still havent figured out!), it isn't 3:2. Which means if I send the images to the print lab and ask for 4R prints, they will surely be cropped at places I don't want. To do my own cropping for every image is a pain for bulk printing. Moreover, when I take the pics, I seldom leave spaces around my subjects during composition. Cropping may be undesirable.

So... Can the shop print the images according to the image ratio (or whatever appropriate term it is) of the compact digicam? If so, is there a name to it, like 3R, 4R, 5R, etc?

Also, do they sell albums to fit these sort of prints?

Thanks!!

Great.. thanks Germboi.

Does anyone know where I can get albums to fit that size?

i think they fit into the 4R album jus fine..

take note that the shorter side of the picture is still 4in, the machine now just adjust the longer side accordingly

compact cams usually use 4:3 ratio. i've seen some shops call this size E-pic. there are special albums for the pix. normal 4R albums may not fit. actually i think the long side is the same (6 inches) but the short side is longer... so the picture is bigger than a normal 4R print.

Ok thanks guys... Will go to the shop to tell them. Do you know why compact cams can't come in 3:2 but 4:3? Sensor size (price) may be an issue but even if they scale down can't they make it in 3:2?

Status
Not open for further replies.