Is the kit 18-55 REALLY that bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The kit lens is soft at the corners. But then again, so do many much more expensive lens. Furthermore, you can still crop the pix if you compose your subjects carefully.
3 things I really like about this lens:

1. the macro is good (at least it serves my purposes) and at 28cm.

2. for the price, throwing in 18mm is a bargain IMHO.

3. it's light.

It's definitely a very usable lens for starters until you get new replacements.
So here's my take on Canons' decision to bundle the kit lens with 20D:

To allow people who are taking the leap into DSLR to be able to start snapping right away, happy with the results, want more, buy more Canon lens later.
Yes, it's definitely marketing ploy but at that price/performance ratio with a kit lens, it's a steal.

~Disclaimer~
All above are entirely my personal views which may contain subjective opinions.

I personally like this lens alot :) Cannot compare to L lenses but sharp enough and does not burn a hole in your pocket.

Talk to LionelLin. He's had exhibition works done with this lens ;) can't be that bad right?

I agree totally. I've a couple of L lenses and I find myself using them less than the kit lens. Basically cos it has such a good range. Only qualms about it is the 3.5-5.6 aperture range. Otherwise its really a good lens worth its every penny. I hope they come up with a new 18-55mm 2.8L soon. keke.

coldfish said:
The kit lens is soft at the corners. But then again, so do many much more expensive lens. Furthermore, you can still crop the pix if you compose your subjects carefully.
3 things I really like about this lens:

1. the macro is good (at least it serves my purposes) and at 28cm.

2. for the price, throwing in 18mm is a bargain IMHO.

3. it's light.

It's definitely a very usable lens for starters until you get new replacements.
So here's my take on Canons' decision to bundle the kit lens with 20D:

To allow people who are taking the leap into DSLR to be able to start snapping right away, happy with the results, want more, buy more Canon lens later.
Yes, it's definitely marketing ploy but at that price/performance ratio with a kit lens, it's a steal.

~Disclaimer~
All above are entirely my personal views which may contain subjective opinions.

XXX Boy said:
Funnie lo, how can you compare a kit-lens with a G1/G2 Carl Zeiss lens? :confused:

Canon Powershot G1/G2 Digicam.
Those do NOT have Zeiss lenses I am pretty sure.
You referring to Contax??

Russ said:
Canon Powershot G1/G2 Digicam.
Those do NOT have Zeiss lenses I am pretty sure.
You referring to Contax??

Sorry brudder! I tot you are referring to Contax G1/G2. :sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.