Is the d800 better than the D3s?

Kam68

Mar 4, 2013
Jurong
I have difficulty in choosing a camera between the nikon D800 and D3s. Kindly advice

They are very different animals. Without more info, we really do not know how to advise you.

You need to tell us what you shoot more, what lighting conditions, what kind of subjects, what do you need the images for.

And from your history, you have bought and sold/selling the D7000, D750, D5100 and D3s. Maybe if you share with us the reasons why those cameras cannot satisfy you, we can help you more.

Last edited:
I like high pixel but at the same time i like the speed of D3s. I cant decide

If you need good low light performance (both AF and ISO) then the D3s is a pretty easy choice over the D800 otherwise you should just get the D800.

I am envious that you got to try so many camera bodies! LOL

In the real world, it's not just about what you 'like', but what you just can't live without.
We'd all like unlimited resolution, sky high ISOs and blazing FPS. Oh, and throw in compact, light-weight, indestructible and dirt cheap. Where to find?

Chances are, you don't NEED everything you WANT. Since we don't know your shooting preferences, you'll have to work out a balance yourself.

OR, buy and use BOTH ;)

Last edited:

If you can't decide, then no one can decide for you.
You still haven't answered some questions, like what do you shoot mostly?

I have difficulty in choosing a camera between the nikon D800 and D3s. Kindly advice

The camera won't make you a better photographer... if you've used and sold all those cameras maybe look at your ability and technique first.

I believe many of these cameras mentioned by DD123 are quite capable alr.

If you can't decide, then no one can decide for you.
You still haven't answered some questions, like what do you shoot mostly?

He said that already..........

is LIKE, not shoot.

and in his previous thread, he want a Better camera.

btw,

the better camera you bought today, it is only good till the next better camera come out.

so you want a better camera, just check out the next new release camera.

Agree... Need to let the experts here know your needs. It's like asking if you should buy car or bicycle, it depends on what you want to do with it.
Cheers

As posted above, key question is what you like to shoot, that would determine the body most suited.

Sharing my experience, I decided on a D800 as it covers all my needs. I shoot landscape, portrait, personal indoor events, birding, long exposure night. The DX mode @ 5fps works fine for birding. I don't shoot high speed sports, therefore no need for >8fps. Happy camper with the D800. Even with the high iso disadvantage, down-sampling the huge 36MP to the D3S equivalent may result in very good pictures. One downside is the huge RAW files, which sucks up lots of storage & processing power if you do PP. Hope this helps you in your decision...

Thnks bro . You are a great help

As posted above, key question is what you like to shoot, that would determine the body most suited.

Sharing my experience, I decided on a D800 as it covers all my needs. I shoot landscape, portrait, personal indoor events, birding, long exposure night. The DX mode @ 5fps works fine for birding. I don't shoot high speed sports, therefore no need for >8fps. Happy camper with the D800. Even with the high iso disadvantage, down-sampling the huge 36MP to the D3S equivalent may result in very good pictures. One downside is the huge RAW files, which sucks up lots of storage & processing power if you do PP. Hope this helps you in your decision...

It also varies as D3S has a shutter lag of 37ms, even if not used for sports, it's fast response is what that gets you that shot. Given a choice, D3S is more of an all rounder, perfect in every sense (IMHO). Low MP means smaller files to work with. Decent DR on a pro body. Speed where it matters.

If I had the budget and option between D3S and D800, I'll definitely go for D3S.

D3s - high fps, low light beast.
D800 - high dynamic range

I sold my D3s for a used D810... but I still misses d3s speed

I had the D800.. excellent picture quality and massive details.

But the 36MPx files are massive and so much so I always down sample for easy PP. So in the end sold the D800.