Is speedlite 420EX an overkill for EOS300V used by amatuer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

farbird

Jan 14, 2004
www.farbird.com
I am thinking of investing..

Below is my current kit

EOS 300V [date version ]
Canon EF 28 - 90mm kit lens F4-5.6
Canon EF 50mm lens F1.8

Also wanna buy a zoom lens [ 70-300mm ]

then no more for a while [ at least can allow me to play around photography for a wide range of lens focal range ]

Nope!

420EX is a very basic speedlite unit that doesn't really have much for you to play with. What is good about it is its guide number (ie output power) of 42 (factory spec.). Thus, rather than getting a puny little flash that will not differ much to the build in flash you already have, the 420EX is something that you should be considering. Getting also mean that you won't neccesarily have to upgrade the flash when you opt for a camera upgrade in the future.

Let you in into a lil secret... Many of us were specing the 420 with our PowerShot G1 back then!

you could consider getting a second hand one.... which goes for around $250 if I'm not wrong.

Is flash photography difficult to learn?

I see all the sliders and buttons behind the 420EX , abit apprehensive..
so many functions..

420EX has actually very few buttons and sliders. there're many more on the powerful cousin 550EX.

farbird said:
Is flash photography difficult to learn?

I see all the sliders and buttons behind the 420EX , abit apprehensive..
so many functions..

do not worry, very easy to use only a two buttons you use most of the time, one is the on/off button, one is to test the flash.

the other button, just read the manual and adjust it accordingly.

the slave/group/abc button, you do need to touch for now

Good flash to start with. Not an overkill. Don't get intimidated by teh buttons and dials.

The 420EX is in fact a very basic flash! The only button you need to think about is the on/off switch and the one that you press to test the flash. Other than this, the only LED to look out is the pilot lamp! The rest of the buttons are for master/slave, fp/high-speed sync and wireless stuff which you can go into later.

I'm using this with my G1 and EOS33 as well. Works wonders and the GN of 42 simply blows the puny GN of (I think around 14 on most on-camera flash) away. The head also tilts and swivels so you can 'chut' pattern.

Just buy it, cost about $350 new I think. Or you can consider the Sigma DG500 Super (the later model, can't remember the exact model number) as well. It's a 550EX in disguise. :) In fact, I'm thinking of trading my 420EX for the Sigma :D

Regards,
JK

Some might not recommand it, but EOS300 + EZ 550 combo is just as good. While ETTL sounds great and works great, ATTL isnt that far off as well.

A used 2nd hand EZ 550 can cost around max $250

misato said:
Some might not recommand it, but EOS300 + EZ 550 combo is just as good. While ETTL sounds great and works great, ATTL isnt that far off as well.

A used 2nd hand EZ 550 can cost around max $250

u mean EZ 540?

Status
Not open for further replies.