Is Scan Colour Accurate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

megascriler

Jun 18, 2005
Hi, I developed a few photos at nearby minilab, and do not have the jpegs anymore. Now I want to duplicate the printed photos, so I scanned them into my computer. However, my monitor is not calibrated thus the scanned photos, when viewed on my monitor, have a blue colour cast.

But now I want to develop the photos at the same minilab again, can I assume that the scanner's colour is 100% accurate and I do not have to edit the scanned photos despite having a blue cast which I think is due to my uncalibrated monitor?

I think I shall simplify my question.

Is it right to assume that scanners are 100% accurate when it comes to colour reproduction?

Please help thanks.

If the people that take care of/run the mini lab regularly calibrate their equipment the results should be very close.

This being that you get them to scan your photo.

:)

Thanks, so you're saying that scanners are not near 100% accurate when it comes to colour reproduction?

Thanks, so you're saying that scanners are not near 100% accurate when it comes to colour reproduction?

Not if they are not calibrated to a standard, the same way printers and monitors are not.

This is why more serious photography people spend the money to buy calibration equipment.

Nothing is 100% colour accurate straight out of the box. Though may be close enough for some people.

To have a photo lab here scan a 6x4 and re-print it is very cheap and I guess it is similar there.

Why not take one to a photo lab there and see how it comes out :dunno:

Our lab is calibrated (to the paper) every morning and during the day with every change of paper......

Yet, even though the scanner is calibrated, if I get a roll of film developed then do a print from the film strip and compair it to the developed print from that strip, I can see a difference (small as it may be).

Just my view :)

Status
Not open for further replies.