Is photography an "IN" thing amongst youths?

Status
Not open for further replies.

allanphang

Aug 27, 2002
Malaysia
www.allanphang.com
Hi all,

IS photography an "IN" thing amongst youths in Singapore?

Maybe let's say between the 16-21 yrs old range ?

Just curious.

I believe there are veterans as well as a lot of teens in here,which is a good thing.

Mostly, today's youths would prefer partying etc...rather than anything to do with photography.

I guess photography equipment/accessories is a tad cheaper in Singapore than Malaysia.

Pls share your views on the topic.

Cheers,
Allan

No , I don't think photography is a "In"thing in Singapore for youth, however there is an increase in young photographer population.

I guess the digital imaging(digital camera) make photography more interesting. No more lab processing , just instant viewing

No , I don't think photography is a "In"thing in Singapore for youth, however there is an increase in young photographer population.

I guess the digital imaging(digital camera) make photography more interesting. No more lab processing , just instant viewing

I agree totally...
I'm only 17 n my fren 18...both pretty interested into photography...but most youth are into clubbings, skatebaording, beach sports or ball games rather than photography...

yeah think "e-polaroid"
not only youths... all those uncles are getting them too... LOL

Photography is hard on the pocket for students/teens. Not as cheap as buying a skateboard or other stuff.

A good SLR system with lens can cost well over 1k and if you want DSLR.. then they probably have to pawn their underwear to buy it. hehe:devil:

Maybe if the price comes down abit, teens/students will start going into photography.. and of course...

I WANT STUDENT PRICE... :bsmilie:

Bluestrik: dun flame me :devil:

Originally posted by Klause
Photography is hard on the pocket for students/teens. Not as cheap as buying a skateboard or other stuff.

A good SLR system with lens can cost well over 1k and if you want DSLR.. then they probably have to pawn their underwear to buy it. hehe:devil:

Maybe if the price comes down abit, teens/students will start going into photography.. and of course...

Actually best way to earn money is to give tution to even younger students. ;) Its the fastest and gives the most bang for your time.

It's only 1k+ because you guys are just too caught up with the equipment. I can think of a perfectly capable system for much less than 1k for the student, however most of you guys will probably scoff at it since it probably won't meet the "standard" here in ClubSNAP.

Originally posted by Klause

sure or not? look at the prices for a good shimano system... not even talking about frames...
and the handphones... the rate they change handphone is damn GROSS... even worse than the yups...

the students mostly want something small and light, partyable and portable.. memorial snaps better than technically brlliant shots... (I showed the ant's butt shot to a student and she went "so fake") something like nokia...

To most ppls, the impression of photography is
"Wow! Expensive hobby"
In that case, do you think photography is an "IN" thing among youths? My answer is unlikely, except cases when they are from well to do family or rather they are influence by their uncles/father/etc in picking up this hobby.

Photography is not a cheap hobby, but it is addictive. :D

Originally posted by YSLee
It's only 1k+ because you guys are just too caught up with the equipment. I can think of a perfectly capable system for much less than 1k for the student, however most of you guys will probably scoff at it since it probably won't meet the "standard" here in ClubSNAP.
hrhhhehhee.....
The master has spoken........

So what is it that you all lust after?

fOR "OLE" UNCLES like me, photography is considered expensive but then it is my fault mostly for wanting those ex DC!

==What I lust for is beautiful shots of sexy young things...;p

The camera of the year? :p

Most likely to be EOS 50. Good feature-set, and only cost like $300 2nd hand.
Add in a decent (mind you, NON L!!) wide angle and a decent zoom 75-300 (non USM!:eek:) ($300++ 2nd hand).

Or maybe a nice 28-200 would suffice. No need f2.8Ls, f4 is fine too. Just buy a cheap tripod, eg. cheapo Panheads that won't make too much of a difference if they really do shake a bit while shooting.

Just my 2¢.

Originally posted by Zoomer

Add in a decent (mind you, NON L!!) wide angle and a decent zoom 75-300 (non USM!:eek:) ($300++ 2nd hand).

Or maybe a nice 28-200 would suffice. No need f2.8Ls, f4 is fine too. Just buy a cheap tripod, eg. cheapo Panheads that won't make too much of a difference if they really do shake a bit while shooting.

Just my 2¢.

sounds like my setup.. but it still went over 1k...

I think YSLee talking about his yashica!

Originally posted by Zoomer

Doesn't have to be.

Photography doesn't seems cool to students n tatz y it ain't "in"...they're more to hip hop...a turntable can cost up to 3k n everyone's grabbing it..
Breakdance class cost $18 per hr n they can attend 6hrs a week...
Personalised Computer cost up to 2k n students r changing constantly....
Biking gear add up to near 5k as shimano gears cost 2k already...suspensions can add up another $500...
Youth also set up bands....1 fender cherrywood guitar can cost up to 10k !
It's juz tat photography is not widely "advertised" nor r they regconised to youths...

I think for students.. they make their cameras look like portable neo-print machines..

Hahaha...but there's the small polariad stuff tat can take neoprints mahz ?
I tink youth usually go for digi-cams...
:devil:

Originally posted by JaDe
Photography doesn't seems cool to students n tatz y it ain't "in"...they're more to hip hop...a turntable can cost up to 3k n everyone's grabbing it..
Breakdance class cost $18 per hr n they can attend 6hrs a week...
Personalised Computer cost up to 2k n students r changing constantly....
Biking gear add up to near 5k as shimano gears cost 2k already...suspensions can add up another $500...
Youth also set up bands....1 fender cherrywood guitar can cost up to 10k !
It's juz tat photography is not widely "advertised" nor r they regconised to youths...

hehe yeah digicam is an accessory, not an end by itself...

the way i look @ it.
it's not the IN thingy.

it's more related to internet or aka blogs(internet diary)
it looks more personal than taking a photo n scan it.
also, u cant take a scanner everywhere n take photos :)
DC means no lab(unless u want hard copy)
most dont use lens cos they can photoshop.

Status
Not open for further replies.