Is my CCD going goner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

josho

Nov 27, 2004
Jln Teck Whye
pboong.com
I did a home studio shoot on my baby girl yesterday and found that there's black gradient on the bottom of my image.

Having checked on both C1Pro on Mac and camera preview, the black gradient is still there. I did a portrait shoot, black gradient is on the right side (landscape mode is bottom)

I mingle around my strobe to ensure it is not light problem and changed my lense, black gradient is still there. I turn on and off for 3 times, but of no use. After a while, I tried again, it is alright.

Just wanted to ask anyone encounter this situation before?

Am using 5D (not mk2).

I did a home studio shoot on my baby girl yesterday and found that there's black gradient on the bottom of my image.

Having checked on both C1Pro on Mac and camera preview, the black gradient is still there. I did a portrait shoot, black gradient is on the right side (landscape mode is bottom)

I mingle around my strobe to ensure it is not light problem and changed my lense, black gradient is still there. I turn on and off for 3 times, but of no use. After a while, I tried again, it is alright.

Just wanted to ask anyone encounter this situation before?

Am using 5D (not mk2).

You need to send canon 5D to CSC (Canon Service Centre) for cleaning.
You changed your lenses everytime. Dust go into your camera.

What aperture are you using?
The dust on the cmos sensor usually show up when you step down to probably f/11 and below.

Dun think it is dust since you say there is a gradient. I suspect your shutter is leaking light. I know someone who had this problem with his 5D too. The result is usually an uneven distribution of light although the viewfinder image is perfectly fine.

FYI a shutter with light leaks may need to be replaced...Should be about $300 at CSC i think.

Could you just have set too high a shutter speed? Not sure what your gradient is like but if you set over the sync speed you normally see a black band, not really a gradient.

Perhaps you could post the pix?

5D use CMOS sensor not CCD

Shutter speed too fast four your flash?

Yep, definitely sounds like a flash sync problem due to too high a shutter speed or a sticky/faulty shutter. Doubt the sensor fails in gradients.

i had a similar problem while trying to sync with my elinchrom d lites a few months ago... all dark towards the bottom..
when i turned the shutter speed right down to like 1/60 got rid of it...

hmm.. thanks all.

im using f8 / 1/125 / sync cable to my elinchrom.
Let me get the photo out and put up here for everyone to see tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.