Is L lens over-rated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
haha

i guess snide remarks can equally be laden on some CSers with little constructive to say when questions are asked - equally spending more time on the forum does not make one a better photographer. :bsmilie:

acherli most F-car drivers *do* drive like grandmothers, cuz
1. got nothing to prove liao, and
2. if lose in driving, really no where to hide face. :bsmilie:

cheers!

Not all F-car drivers are all that bad. I know a friend who takes his Ferrari to Sepang once in a while to give it a spin. He drives pretty well.

Can snide remarks be laden on CSers with little constructive to say when questions are asked? Yes, of course can.

Spending more time on the forum does not make one a better photographer? True... but it's a bit too late in the night to go for a shoot. My guess is, that's why you are posting here? :bsmilie:

Not all F-car drivers are all that bad. I know a friend who takes his Ferrari to Sepang once in a while to give it a spin. He drives pretty well.

Can snide remarks be laden on CSers with little constructive to say when questions are asked? Yes, of course can.

Spending more time on the forum does not make one a better photographer? True... but it's a bit too late in the night to go for a shoot. My guess is, that's why you are posting here? :bsmilie:

I not talking about trekkies lah but on e road!

I'll be the first to admit my post count is low AND I suck at photography . :sweat:

on which lens is good or bad, it's really horses for courses. IMHO it's best to stick to answers along the lines of 'what do you want from the lens' and 'what's yr budget' and advise from there.

when it comes to $$ type value judgments it seems the comments are usually coloured by own financial background be it good or bad, the kind of answers are not always as helpful.

We should always be given an opportunity to express different opinions from different views. Whether one sees it useful or not it is up to the individual, as long as the comments are not destructive.

If there is a way, one should not even come in to ask which lens. Just need to do a filtering system to provide the input (budget, preference) and get the output (lens and body type) for the enquirer.

acherli most F-car drivers *do* drive like grandmothers, cuz
1. got nothing to prove liao, and
2. if lose in driving, really no where to hide face. :bsmilie:

Maybe, it is just me... Recently, I find the bigger the car the slower they go... :dunno:

Than again without really understanding what so great about an item, u will nvr be able to appreciate them. So each camp will have their own supporter whom appreciate them.

Jumped ship? ;)

Jumped ship, switching camps do not exactly describe it.

I am just a amatuer hobbyist who catered a budget for this hobby. Just found something that deliver better sharpness, more vivid colors, more features packed in a lighter setup , better AF at a fraction of the cost of my previous 350D/40D/5D + 1755 + L lens setup. Probably its my profession, to find value for $$ stuff. Expensive stuff not do equate to quality. Cheaper stuff do not mean inferior goods. There are expensive n useless stuff, and cheap but good stuff. Just need to find a balance and the right stuff that suits one's need

Canon is good :thumbsup: . Just that I had found value in another setup that suit my hobbyist needs, and suits my wallet :bsmilie:.

If I am earning $$ from my photos, I will still consider using Canon.. Since, people still judge paid photog by the Brand/Gears they use and that may cost the job.

Hahaha, suddenly TS not around...:bsmilie:

yea whether is it much better or slightly better, after trying it and seeing the results, overall, the lens is in fact better. I dont know much about photography to be quite honest with you and everyday is a learning curve and getting to use different equipments from different brands just make most ppl realise where are there premiums for certain products and no doubt the nikon 70-200mm cost as much as the 70-200mm L, but is just isnt as good, or you call it, not as good as the canons and its the overall package that comes with it.

Wah adrian...dont get slammed by the dark side after this comment....:sweat:

Sorry for being vagued.

1. No, I'm not from Canon and trying to get a market survey. It is just for my own thoughts.
2. The reason for starting this post:

I'm new to photography, using Canon DSLR. I saw ads at the "For Sale" forum here, and looked at the L lenses and the non-L lenses, and obviously, the prices are many many times more for the L lenses (for the same/almost same XXXmm range).

So, I was thinking whether it is worth the thought/dream of getting a L lens, when an equivalent non-L lens is much more affordable - I do not have a big budget (otherwise I will stock up the L lens in my bag)!

I want to hear from users - pros, amateurs, serious amateurs - on your take about the L lens, and to be able to understand the mystery of getting the L lens. Then I can continue dreaming of getting one, or just concentrate on getting the non-L lenses and forget about the L lenses!!

A long rambling from a newbie! Thanks to all that had shared your opinions.
answering to your question.

#1, any form of market survey is not allowed here.

#2, use whatever you can afford, whether you are hobbyist or professionals. if you just WANT to have it, make sure you can afford it, if you really NEED it, you will find the way to get it in one way or another.

LASTLY, are L lenses worth it? answer are subject to individuals, ONLY you can decide for yourself.

a lots of OT and Fanboy-ism posts already creep into this thread. Thread locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.