Is Katong Laksa the best around?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yishun one is the best.. the sungei road or katong one all no fight... cause the ingredients not as much, price not as cheap.. and the gravys not as thick and fragrant as yishun one..;)

Anyone kind enough to give us the name of the stall /stall no. or the block no.? Or take a picture of the store when eating the next laksa :p

Anyone kind enough to give us the name of the stall /stall no. or the block no.? Or take a picture of the store when eating the next laksa :p

yishun central blk 928. There are 2 stalls selling laksa and dessert. The good laksa is the store on the right stretch of the shops and the better desserts is the stall on the left.

Just an update from the Jln Berseh Laksa that is on this thread.

The place is actually in a coffee shop at the junction between Jalan Berseh and Kelantan Lane

laksa1.jpg

The Laksa's stall name is "Sungei Road Laksa"

laksa3.jpg

Notice that they cook their laksa using the traditional fire fuelled by charcoal. The idea of charcoal cooking was to hopefully imbue the charcoal fragrance into the food - provided it is good charcoal of course.

Compared to Katong Laksa, the Laksa here spares no ingredients to fill up the bowl. The colours of the serving are naturally brilliant. The clams appears fresh and tender at the first look.

laksa4.jpg

When you actually bit into the clams the freshness of nature greets you. The semi-raw juicy clams tighty wrapped around in it's skin suddenly releases a gush of sweet taste of the sea relative to godd fresh oyster. Although I must say the fish cake that accompanies it was only so so.

laksa5.jpg

The noodles used is translucent, soft and springy (all which makes good noodles). Unlike many other Laksa or for that matter noodle cooking, good noodles must be soft to bite into yet maintain it's form and sturdiness in being springy. The colours of good noodles does not corrupt or gets corrupted by the other ingredients in the cooking and the Laksa here is using good noodles.

Notice the minced shrimp - a sign of plenty of stuff i this Laksa.

laksa6.jpg

Now the most important part of the Laksa: the Gravy

The gravy however was not actually quite up to my expectations. Although I must say it is a step ahead Katong Laksa with fragrant spices but the gravy was a little soft. The creaminess of the coconut milk was somehow is a less than ideal consistency. That said however, the gravy is generally smooth and pleasing enbroiled with a tint of charcoal frangrance.

laksa7.jpg

There's plenty of parking around the coffeeshop. A few views of the coffeeshop location:

laksa8.jpg

laksa2.jpg

Hope to try the one in Yishun soon!

(All images taken with Nokia 5730)

There's one at Yishun central near blk 930 there.. its good with thick wholesome laksa gravy! After tat can order hot/cold dessert from stall jus next beside it!
Just remember its not the laksa stall facing escalator opposite blk :)

:thumbsup: to this stall.
Relatively low key stall, and generally no one blows their trumpet (though business has been much better these past 2yrs).
IMO, a lot of the famous stalls ended up to be a disappointment for me. So-so taste, expensive and small portions. Sometimes, they got famous cause of good location and ppl blowing their trumpet.

Try the popiah in the other food stall as well. Cheap and good.

:thumbsup: to this stall.
Relatively low key stall, and generally no one blows their trumpet (though business has been much better these past 2yrs).
IMO, a lot of the famous stalls ended up to be a disappointment for me. So-so taste, expensive and small portions. Sometimes, they got famous cause of good location and ppl blowing their trumpet.

Try the popiah in the other food stall as well. Cheap and good.

When they get famous, it's either landlord or coffee shop owner jack rent (usually the case) or other folks wanna choose the easy way by trying to out bid the rent of the current tenant, and sell the same thing.

We see that in Katong laksa, the original stall of the Sungei road laksa was in the coffee shop next to the flea market... and once rent goes up, don't expect them to give you the same amount of ingredient for the same price.

Good efforts, :thumbsup: to eyes. :)

There's one at Yishun central near blk 930 there.. its good with thick wholesome laksa gravy! After tat can order hot/cold dessert from stall jus next beside it!
Just remember its not the laksa stall facing escalator opposite blk :)

oh... now i remember, I did pass by the place one day and noticed the crowd. Figured it must be good, but didn't try since I just had breakfast. I must go back and try one day.

if i remember clearly that there is a stall located at somewhere near bukit purmei or wad.. there this stall that sell laksa and prawn noodle.. their laksa also very nice..

Tried this one several times before, if I remember correctly it is called 苏丹虾面 (sultan prawn noodles), in the same coffee shop as the famous 卤面 (lor mee). Their standard is inconsistent, sometimes when their gravy is thick it is very good. Other times just ok.

near yishun interchange, blk 925 there's a laksa stall which is very famous. it is really really good, the best i've tried so far. but beware, because there's 2 laksa stores at the very same kopitiam. go to the one with awards (certs pasted on their stall) and with a cert of recommendation by some mediacorp food show. $2.20 for small bowl, $3 for big bowl. very good! no regrets =)

near yishun interchange, blk 925 there's a laksa stall which is very famous. it is really really good, the best i've tried so far. but beware, because there's 2 laksa stores at the very same kopitiam. go to the one with awards (certs pasted on their stall) and with a cert of recommendation by some mediacorp food show. $2.20 for small bowl, $3 for big bowl. very good! no regrets =)

Ok, think I should be able to get to the Yishun laksa.

eyes: why not get some photos from that Yishun laksa so that we won't go to the wrong one? :p

Quick question: are they opened on Mondays?

eyes: why not get some photos from that Yishun laksa so that we won't go to the wrong one? :p

I will if I'm happen to be around there.

I'm actually convinced that food can change the quality of one's life and mitigate depression. Do you think so? :angel:

Eyes, looks like you make a good food critique.

The good old days food are running scarce with the newer generation refusing to continue in the food trade. We should enjoy them while they are still around.

Many old time hawkers are vanishing for some of these reasons:
1. no one to continue the trade
2. owner does not want children to work like they do; encourage them to get an office job.
3. Labor law from MOM does not allow hawker to hire foreign workers and hence they cant hire helpers. Locals and PR are not too keen to work as employees in hawker centres as they rather be their own boss.
5. Some end up getting a mistress hiring China PR girl; wife dumps hawker and set up her own stall. Food quality drops for both stalls as a result as the focus becomes a women bitching problem.
6. Hawker gets old, falls ill, gets fedup and close shop.
7. Inflation of raw materials reduced hawker profitability and some cant sustain.
8. Food court businessmen approaching hawkers to be part of them and take over their business.

Remember to share pics of the Yishun one as well, especially the coffee shop & the stall so that there can be no mistake. ;)

I tasted Katong Laksa yesterday. The one under the bridge. Its a small coffeeshop and not the big stall opposite.

Food quality had degrade tremendously. The ingredients are lessened, the chilli is not so nice, the ceremic spoon is replaced by a cheap plastic spoon.

The food are prepared, cooked served by China ladies. China lady served me and put the money into her own pocket.

They used to put up a strong fight with competitor by giving more ingredients and better food. Looks like they are no longer what they were. Sad.

Re: "Sungei Road Laksa"

The original stall was at a old coffee shop in the corner of Sungei Road,... per bowl (small bowl) was $1-00, and usually most people would park their cars by the roadside and ate about 2 bowl minimum coz it was not a big bowl. Then , that area was very vibrant. Usually you also get to smell those funny and strange "ingredients" from the drains surrounding the stall, and the seatings are really old and beaten. Then, it was a pity that there was no DLSRs.....:dunno:
The cook/owner was that old man ... then and now.

Anyone here remembers those good old times?.... (70's, 80's) ...

Last edited:
Re: "Sungei Road Laksa"

The original stall was at a old coffee shop in the corner of Sungei Road,... per bowl (small bowl) is $1-00, and usually most people will park their cars by the roadside and ate about 2 bowl minimum coz it's not so big bowl. Then , that area was very vibrant. Usually you also get to smell those funny and strange "ingredients" from the drains surrounding the stall, and the seatings are really old and beaten. Then, it was a pity that there was no DLSRs.....:dunno:
The cook/owner was that old man ... then and now.

Anyone here remembers those good old times?.... (70's, 80's) ...

em....
I was drinking milk then:bsmilie:

em....
I was drinking milk then:bsmilie:
laksa also got milk mah .....
if not mistaken, then mee pok was about $1-50 per bowl everywhere .....

CK Tang dept store used to have laksa at the 4th floor "food court" ... per bowl was $6 then but i think it was the best laksa .... lots of taupok, big prawns, egg, clams, etc... really good value for money though it was considered "very expensive" for a bowl of laksa. :think:
it was in the early 90's .... whenever i was in Orchard Road (which was very common as my clients were all in Orchard), I would go there for the laksa .... then the parking was like $1 per hour at most of the buildings, and weekend was like $1 per entry .... lol ... and no ERP! Then, you would spend 8 hours at Taka and the parking was $1 .... now you try to do that in ION, you get a mini heart attack!

Last edited:

Go to the longer que one at the corner, the other one is copycat but no business.

Status
Not open for further replies.