Is it worth it to repair Nex 5N for $300?

red_ryder

Jun 23, 2003
Visit site
Hi,

I bought a Nex 5N used from someone here a few months ago. Used it a couple of times.

Due to my own stupidity, I was using it to take photos at the beach during an overseas trip and held it too close to the water. A sudden wave splashed onto the camera and the LCD screen now is blank. I sent it back to Sony for assessment. No more warranty.

The assessment is $300 for repair for parts and labor. If you were me, would you repair it or write off the $500 I spent last year as an expensive lesson? The other alternative would be to get another used 5N from clubsnap or another model.

personally i would have it repaired, as it's still a big saving from buying another used set for around 500.

and if i'm not mistaken, you get a 30 -day service warranty as well. but need to confirm this.

If I need the camera, I would spent the $300 to repair it (but to take note that the $300 is just an assessment costs and may not include GST). If you dont need the camera, you can practically sell it off. There are people who do buy spoilt cameras (just have to work hard in finding them).

Other options:
- this is a good time for you to upgrade :).
- you just need to get a body (and there are times you can get plenty of discounts on 5n locally or internationally).

Why not just repair it and continue using the camera to take beautiful pictures?

i say go for the repair if it has been working fine prior to the lcd dmg...
writing off a camera and getting a new one is just a bit of a waste of moolah unless u've been thinking of upgrading all along....
getting another used set might not be a risk free solution , what if u end up buying a lemon , then it turns into a never ending cycle =)

Last edited:
I rather get another 2nd hand. Price compare to repair is cheap. Since it is splash with salt water, you won't know if there may be erosion in other parts.

I agree. Quite likely the LCD isn't the only part damaged by the salt water. Imagine spending $300 on the LCD, only to later realize 3 other critical components are also damaged...

I rather get another 2nd hand. Price compare to repair is cheap. Since it is splash with salt water, you won't know if there may be erosion in other parts.

$300 is not worth it in my opinion. If I were you I will find another 2nd hand set.

Not worth for me.

Cause the sea water might have damage other components n its wasn't change during repair. In the end, you might still ended up with a faulty set which last for a while only.

Get a new model n if possible, a water casing for it since you like to take photos near water. Learn from current lesson, avoid sea as much as you can. :)

i'll vote for another 2nd hand set! Who knows the technician zai or buay zai. Secarly he left out some parts that were affected by the sea water.

Sea water is very powerful ok can corrode your whole system.

I rather go for a 2nd hand (with warranty) if can get at the price of about $500.00

I think not worth it to repair as 2nd hand (make sure mint set of course) set is just a little more and if you get one with warranty still available should be safer.

i'll get a 2nd or 3rd hand..... for <$500... cos 5n is ageing with newer nex models coming along.... :cool: