Is it necessary to install "drivers" for LCD monitors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digi-Learner

Dec 10, 2004
Hi all.

On Samsung and Viewsonic websites, I saw this "Driver Download" section. Does it mean that if I buy a new monitor, I must install the "Driver" onto my PC?

As I am using Color Vision Spyder 1 (non PRO), is this "Monitor Driver" stuff still necessary or relevant.

Just want to be sure that I don't miss out any important steps when setting up a new monitor which I intend to get soon.

Kindly advise.

Thanks. :)

Digi-Learner said:
Hi all.

On Samsung and Viewsonic websites, I saw this "Driver Download" section. Does it mean that if I buy a new monitor, I must install the "Driver" onto my PC?

I would think most modern videocard/driver combinations implement 'DCC' and read the monitor paramenters direct from the screen itself, so you don't really need the monitor description files that are these 'drivers'.
They would be useful in the small number of cases where DCC doesn't work, say using a VGA switch or some video extension system that doesn't support DCC, or old Windows 98 systems, any normal modern system, the video driver will talk to the screen and get the appropiate setup information.

Status
Not open for further replies.