Is IR a dead thing already?

What is IR photography to you?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goondoo

Nov 17, 2003
Away From Keyboard
Going through the older threads, its seems like alot of IR shooters had more or less left for other photography methods or even disappeared from CS....

Its a pity I haven't got much chance to learn IR from most of the predecessors :(
I recently bought another D70 waiting to be converted to D70ir. I think I like IR more than anything else, and macro photography next on the list.

But how many active or regular IR shooters are we still left?

We organise outings once in a while...infact most of us are still around and new friends had joined and become pretty good friends! Other than outings, we also meet up for dinner about once a month too.

Theres nothing to learn, its easy to pick up the technique(you did too, right?). What more important to learn or nurture is landscape composition...which is when we exchange ideas after outings showing each other our shots for.

There are many who shoots IR as a "trendy" form of photography.
But there is still a group of hardcore IR photographers who are regulars.

Just to add, when I am in different environment, I use different camera/techniques to shoot. Like a Lomo cam when I am in cultural places for the colours, IR camera when I am at a scenic place, DSLR when I shoot weddings & underwater camera when I am underwater!

Not every shot have to be IR...

You just started exploring IR, I suggest you just do the normal way, dun convert your camera. Its not reversible, you know?

haha At the age whereby career is more important than anything now....hard to get time to go shooting...

Just to add, when I am in different environment, I use different camera/techniques to shoot. Like a Lomo cam when I am in cultural places for the colours, IR camera when I am at a scenic place, DSLR when I shoot weddings & underwater camera when I am underwater!

Not every shot have to be IR...

You just started exploring IR, I suggest you just do the normal way, dun convert your camera. Its not reversible, you know?

I was told its reversible. Your dear friend DP will be performing the "operation" for me (at a cost). I managed to get a very good deal for the D70 and I already own a D70s. The whole idea of getting the D70 is for IR.

PS: I seriously do not think I got the "style" for IR yet. I barely started and IR composition is barely there.

I was told its reversible. Your dear friend DP will be performing the "operation" for me (at a cost). I managed to get a very good deal for the D70 and I already own a D70s. The whole idea of getting the D70 is for IR.

PS: I seriously do not think I got the "style" for IR yet. I barely started and IR composition is barely there.

At a cost lor...if you want to reverse it...If you think your lanscape shots are no good enough, then work on it first. IR comes in later when you feel you need it.

At a cost lor...if you want to reverse it...If you think your lanscape shots are no good enough, then work on it first. IR comes in later when you feel you need it.

Which is why I still have another D70s mah ^.^

You are right about this bro. I am still a hardcore IR Photographer, so is Poh and many others. :thumbsup:

So glad to hear this. Looking forward to learn from you guys :)

I am quite busy these couples of weeks. I hope to organise an outing soon.
However, now is the monsoon season, so there will be frequent rain and bad weather, in this case, I will consult the moderator Teerex if the IR Outing can take a short break and resume next year. So far, we have organised 16 Outings already. We will see how the condition goes. Do keep a lookout.

IR what is IR, Integrated Resort ?.
How can go out of fashion one ??
Sure alot of people will be hook to it, you just wait and see loh ;p

IR what is IR, Integrated Resort ?.
How can go out of fashion one ??
Sure alot of people will be hook to it, you just wait and see loh ;p

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:
Poh is one classic example. Quite a few are also getting the hang of it, such as Matthew (Square Moon) and a few others.

I jus started IR photography. Received alot of help from the IR veterans here :)
But too bad i am not allowed to vote. I wonder why...

I jus started IR photography. Received alot of help from the IR veterans here :)
But too bad i am not allowed to vote. I wonder why...

It is ok, maybe because you are registered recently. You need to be registered for 6 months and with 50 posts to be able to poll IIRC.

Anyway, how is your progress? Too bad I am quite busy recently and also a bit out of place to shoot. If not, I hope to organise an outing so that we can discuss about IR Photography.

It is ok, maybe because you are registered recently. You need to be registered for 6 months and with 50 posts to be able to poll IIRC.

Anyway, how is your progress? Too bad I am quite busy recently and also a bit out of place to shoot. If not, I hope to organise an outing so that we can discuss about IR Photography.

Thanks! i was hoping to get in some IR shots of my cactus garden during my lunch break today but the sky did not cooperate too well. I am off to Pulau Ubin tomorrow morning for my nature society activity and after that i hope to get off some shots to practice with on PS.
hope the weather holds :)

Thanks! i was hoping to get in some IR shots of my cactus garden during my lunch break today but the sky did not cooperate too well. I am off to Pulau Ubin tomorrow morning for my nature society activity and after that i hope to get off some shots to practice with on PS.
hope the weather holds :)

Ah. I see.
Do try a few more shots and see how it goes. Just try out some of our advice and note any difficulties or queries that you faced. There are quite a few threads I posted in the past which I list down steps by steps on what to do. I hope I can still find it. Anyway, do have fun and keep shooting IR. ;)

as with any form of art / photography / music...

there will always be:

the hardcore diehard lover / supporter.....
the bandwagon jumpers....
the haters....

its definitely good to know many of the "original" group are still around of course...and got even bigger in fact! :cool:

Career or family commitments aside.....if you love it enough, you will find time for it.
***disclaimer...this isnt to shoot u down hor nisa or anyone else hehe...just my POV as im also pretty much very busy on weekends one as most of you know.

To many more Infrared shoots! :devil:

***disclaimer...this isnt to shoot u down hor nisa or anyone else hehe...just my POV as im also pretty much very busy on weekends one as most of you know.

To many more Infrared shoots! :devil:

hahaha can lah! shoot lor.... I just want to work on my career :sticktong

hahaha can lah! shoot lor.... I just want to work on my career :sticktong

career of course important lah!!

dont forget...my other bigger hobby is music...which gets even more priority than my photography hor :bsmilie:

well....one things for sure.....all the friends we have made here in the IR group. that's irreplaceable :)

Going through the older threads, its seems like alot of IR shooters had more or less left for other photography methods or even disappeared from CS....

Its a pity I haven't got much chance to learn IR from most of the predecessors :(
I recently bought another D70 waiting to be converted to D70ir. I think I like IR more than anything else, and macro photography next on the list.

But how many active or regular IR shooters are we still left?

What makes you think that IR is a fad to the hardcores here? The last outing was organised about 3 weeks back by Francis. Taking in mind the recent bad haze over the island, some of us has temporary moved to another genre of photography. Wait till the haze clears and the sun is out, you will see the action here.

If you have really gone thru the older threads, you should have seen or realise that we orgainise outings on an average of 1 every fortnight.

Some may have come and gone, but to the hardcores here IR is our love and passion. But on the other hand, IR shooters does not neccessarily have to shoot IR only. There are a few good IR shooters who are also very good travel photographers. An example is Hosea, look at his IR pics and travel pics. They'll marvel you.

Many of us have a dedicated converted IR camera and also a normal camera for the usual color photography. There are also some hardcores who do not have a converted IR camera but are very dedicated to this form of photography.

I may not be good at IR or any other genre form of photography, but I still like IR. For your information, when i woke up this morning and saw some sunlight shining through the clouds
I packed my camera bag and went out to shoot IR on my own.

Here are a couple of pics from my shoot today. More to post in the appropriate forum to share after I pp them.

DSC_8850-2720.jpg

DSC_8848-1720.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.