Is Circular polarizer really useful ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
btw, another concern i have is isn't you guys feel troublesome to use a CPL as you need to take out the CPL when shooting other thing if feel it is too dim or indoor. And when you are shooting at sky, landscape, water, or glass then you put it on again? :think:

CPL is only used when necessary, it's not an "always on" filter. Never had any hassle with CPL. Initially I had some hassle with UV+CPL like filter got stuck, removing UV and putting on CPL). Now UV stays at home, not necessary for the picture.

CPL has it's own specific use.
to illustrate the extreme example of what a CPL does
Wing800x600.jpg

On a plane pretty high in the sky. Polarising the bands of light.

Anyway, it reduces reflection (at the correct angle and polarisation), darken or lighten the sky, depending how you want to use it.

Don't use on UWA or WA, cause of banding in the sky.

Get a 77mm CPL and get stepping rings for your smaller lenses. That way you don't need to buy multiple CPL's. so just get a good one. (unless you don't intend to expand your lens collection)

CPL is usually worth 2 stops, factor that in.

Furthermore, you will need to either buy/borrow a CPL to learn how to use it effectively. And if you really use it in your photography. I almost never use CPL.

Just my 2 cents.

CPL has it's own specific use.
to illustrate the extreme example of what a CPL does
Wing800x600.jpg

On a plane pretty high in the sky. Polarising the bands of light.

Anyway, it reduces reflection (at the correct angle and polarisation), darken or lighten the sky, depending how you want to use it.

Don't use on UWA or WA, cause of banding in the sky.

Get a 77mm CPL and get stepping rings for your smaller lenses. That way you don't need to buy multiple CPL's. so just get a good one. (unless you don't intend to expand your lens collection)

CPL is usually worth 2 stops, factor that in.

Furthermore, you will need to either buy/borrow a CPL to learn how to use it effectively. And if you really use it in your photography. I almost never use CPL.

Just my 2 cents.

Hey, thanks a lot. Good comment, btw what is stepping rings ? you sound like should only buy 77mm then it can use for any smaller lens. I was thinking to buy a CPL for my 67mm lens, so should i buy a 77mm now and a stepping ring ? is the stepping ring can be fixed on any lens size?

stepping rings are metal rings with an inner thread and external thread. like 67mm to 77mm.

u screw the 67 mm onto your lens and the 77mm CPL onto the 77mm thread on the external side.

Stepping rings can be step up (as above) or step down.

Yeah i recommend getting a 77mm cpl and just getting stepping rings in the future for other lenses you buy. Afterall, in the long run, professional grade lens are usually 77mm.

A stepping ring is about 10-15, depending on where u go to get em.

Status
Not open for further replies.