IS and tripod

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyde9

Feb 17, 2009
Hi just wanna ask I saw some posts that said you need to switch off your len's IS when shooting on a tripod. Why is this necessary?

best to off IS while mounting on tripod...

reason: using of tripod is to minimize handshake and vibration. if IS is on, it will create vibration. therefore image may not be sharp.usually visible on Long exposure. fast shutter, u normally dun see the diff.

best to off IS while mounting on tripod...

reason: using of tripod is to minimize handshake and vibration. if IS is on, it will create vibration. therefore image may not be sharp.usually visible on Long exposure. fast shutter, u normally dun see the diff.

Not entirely accurate. Why IS is recommended off is because some variants of IS do not know when you mount a tripod, so it may still try to correct for shake when there is none, resulting in an image that may be worse off.

my IS is always on.

http://www.dlcphotography.net/TripodAndIS.htm said:
Here is the explanation from Chuck Westfall (Canon USA):

"The IS mechanism operates by correcting shake. When there is no shake, or when the level of shake is below the threshold of the system's detection capability, use of the IS feature may actually *add* unwanted blur to the photograph, therefore you should shut it off in this situation. Remember that the IS lens group is normally locked into place. When the IS function is active, the IS lens group is unlocked so it can be moved by the electromagnetic coil surrounding the elements. When there's not enough motion for the IS system to detect, the result can sometimes be a sort of electronic 'feedback loop,' somewhat analogous to the ringing noise of an audio feedback loop we're all familiar with. As a result, the IS lens group might move while the lens is on a tripod, unless the IS function is switched off and the IS lens group is locked into place."

In 2000 Canon released the next generation IS professional lenses. These lenses feature a "tripod-detection" mode which means that there is no problem using IS on a tripod. Even more than that - IS will correct vibrations caused by the mirror operations of the camera. So far the feature is available on the following lenses.

* EF 300 mm f/2.8 USM L IS
* EF 400 mm f/2.8 USM L IS
* EF 400 mm f/4 USM DO IS
* EF 500 mm f/4 USM L IS
* EF 600 mm f/4 USM L IS

Hi just wanna ask I saw some posts that said you need to switch off your len's IS when shooting on a tripod. Why is this necessary?

because you are asking the lens to correct for camera shake, when it is not there

so it will end up gabra.

that said, if conditions are windy, you have every reason to keep is on, it really depends. but if there is going to be no movement, i.e. indoors.. then... turn it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.