IR Shots with FZ20

Status
Not open for further replies.

karnage

Feb 26, 2005
Ang Mo Kio
Hi Lumixers,

I'd like to find out the EXIF data for those using FZ20 to take IR shots with an R72 attached. Previously I tried using ISO80 and had to open the shutter for 8secs to get a proper picture.

Then someone recommend that I up the ISO to 200 so I can take handheld shots. So I tried that this morning, but the results when I got home & tried to tweak the colors were so disappointing. At ISO200, the IR photos were extremely noisy... looks like an abstract art... haha! *sigh* So I was wondering if any of u knows? :dunno:

Thanks in advance guys!

n olar.. cannot do hand held.
iso 80 to 200, will be = to shutter speed from 8s to like 3s.
not exactly what I'd call hand holding speed.

So if you hand hold at say 1/20 seconds, then it's like... more than 5 stops under exposed..

Try not to do handheld for FZ20 use tripod better. ISO80 also too low liao...

For my FZ5 when sunlight is strong enough I can manage ISO400 at about 1/8 to 1/20 handheld. High noise but i do get sharp pictures which i can run on neatimage to clear off.

Normally for FZ i think is use ISO100, F5 above and 1.5s to 4s and tripod is a must.

Oh, I forgot my other settings but I remember it was ISO200 and f2.8, 1/4s can see the scene via the EVF... Abit dark but discernable... I tried reducing noise using PSCS2 but like got not much help leh...

karnage said:
Oh, I forgot my other settings but I remember it was ISO200 and f2.8, 1/4s can see the scene via the EVF... Abit dark but discernable... I tried reducing noise using PSCS2 but like got not much help leh...
See scene via EVF doesn't mean it's properly exposed. Learn to look at the histogram and the light meter. Highly likely all your shots so far are underexposed (based on acceptable = can just see on EVF). Try do manual and compensate till you get "perfect" exposure. you will see that there is alot less noise.

karnage said:
For a properly exposed IR scene, I rem I can see every bit of the scene very clearly, except that got tint. My 1st few IR shots were taken in your manner, I got your same problem. After I properly exposed my shots, I don't get the noise problems anymore.

I'm speaking from experience, not guesswork btw.

Hmm, why f2.8 cannot make it? Too shallow DOF?

Anyways, there's something about manual that does not allow me to frame my shots. Even if I set it to the same settings as P mode, the screen is still darker.

Ya well, like I mentioned, I was trying to get the brightest I can and handhold coz someone mentioned that u can. A perfect exposure would require a couple of seconds at least, which in turn requires a tripod. But ya, I'll do that the next time... =)

So unseen, usually what are your settings n manual? How come got tint leh? I thought u did a manual white balance already? The pictures I take are like B&W shots lor... haha!

karnage said:
Hmm, why f2.8 cannot make it? Too shallow DOF?

Anyways, there's something about manual that does not allow me to frame my shots. Even if I set it to the same settings as P mode, the screen is still darker.

Ya well, like I mentioned, I was trying to get the brightest I can and handhold coz someone mentioned that u can. A perfect exposure would require a couple of seconds at least, which in turn requires a tripod. But ya, I'll do that the next time... =)

So unseen, usually what are your settings n manual? How come got tint leh? I thought u did a manual white balance already? The pictures I take are like B&W shots lor... haha!

somehow too shallow and many details lost and i know i can't get a photo worth to keep with f2.8 settings...
use tripod....frame your shot already lock tripod then switch to manual and change setting is the best i guess.

hmm..where that fellow who do IR on his FZ20 and results i saw not bad :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.