interior shoot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferdinand

Jun 14, 2005
Here are a couple of photos from a paid interior shoot I did on Monday :) Ringgit$350K for 1400 square feet. Not sure if this is the right section. Admin please it to the correction section if its wrong thanks. :D

20051017-151432.jpg

20051017-154657.jpg

Wow! it's quite good.. would prefer the 1st though.. :)

2nd photo looks abit messy and cramped to me, perhaps it would be abit better if u're able to use a wider angle lens.

Nonetheless.. Great Job! :thumbsup:

Ferdinand said:
Here are a couple of photos from a paid interior shoot I did on Monday :) Ringgit$350K for 1400 square feet. Not sure if this is the right section. Admin please it to the correction section if its wrong thanks. :D

20051017-151432.jpg

20051017-154657.jpg

it looks good,but may be u may want to on the lighting in the room...i think it look better(to me).
may be one with the room lighting on and one without...i feel that with the room lighting,there it more warm in it.

i think your studio lighting is set to full or near full power to get the room light out.the room look abit like painted with "white paint"

excellent work dude!! just lovely. =)
cheers!

Frankly, I feel they look more like a painted prints than photographs.. lack of "3 dimensional feel"...
not sure it is due to PS or studio lightings?

As for the compostion.. too much things with lack of spacious feel .
A good spacious feeling is important for the potential customers.

Having say that, if your client is happy with your shots... ur job is considered well done.
Just sharing my opinion. :)
You have some wonderful photos in your portfolio

the space looks cluttered and lacked focus. technically i think the lighting looks really harsh, makes the pictures rather flat IMHO.

beautiful clouds you have there, the lighting of the room is too bright for me,
i would normally prefer a warmer and wider view (more space)

is the cloud is real or PS?, anyway, no.1 composition is interesting and agree for the exposure just lil bit over, but who cares...as long as the client like it, why not?

Just thought i'd add my 2cents:

2nd shot- wine bottle shouldn't be placed there. It's quite badly distorted.

just want to add a bit more..

the 2nd shot does look a tad too cluttered. no feeling of 'space'.

but the final product should have gone thru many people, considering ur proj budget so i guess that included art directors and stylists who may have added their ideas to the production workflow, resulting in that.

BUT, i was a bit surprised no one pointed out that the 1st shot isnt perspective corrected, as in the window's frames are still slanted.

Thanks for all your input guys I really appreciate it.

I am pretty bad at fixing distortion, I know you can transform and skew stuff but I am not good at it. Are there any programs out there that might make that easier?

This is my first interior shot so I am still learning, don't know about lighting much accept to just lighting it so its clean. What sort of ratio would be best? I think right now I did it at 1:1 comparing outside ambient light to flash light. Should outside be more blow out? Would that be too distracting then?

Yup also I am not hired to do the deco, to me even the furniture doesn't match very well to the apartment, but that is out of my hand and politically I don't want to get in the way of the interior decorator's job, he does his/hers and I do mine. But again I really appreciate any input, any extra knowledge I gain will definitely do me good.

Yup second also has too much shadows I feel but I didn't want to spend so much time to PS stuff, it doesn't really pay that well for me to spend so much time PP-ing it.

The cloud is real, I just saturate it to make them bluer.

Ferdinand said:
Thanks for all your input guys I really appreciate it.

I am pretty bad at fixing distortion, I know you can transform and skew stuff but I am not good at it. Are there any programs out there that might make that easier?

the easiest way to do away with distortion problem is to frame wider than what you need, and crop tighter during post processing.

Ferdinand said:
This is my first interior shot so I am still learning, don't know about lighting much accept to just lighting it so its clean. What sort of ratio would be best? I think right now I did it at 1:1 comparing outside ambient light to flash light. Should outside be more blow out? Would that be too distracting then?

flip through more good books and magazines on interior design. look at how others shoot. a balanced lighting situation does not equate to the best lighting situation. the best lighting should bring out the interior designer's intention.

Ferdinand said:
Yup also I am not hired to do the deco, to me even the furniture doesn't match very well to the apartment, but that is out of my hand and politically I don't want to get in the way of the interior decorator's job, he does his/hers and I do mine. But again I really appreciate any input, any extra knowledge I gain will definitely do me good.

if you are not trained in interior design, find out from the interior designer or the owner why exactly is the space done up like that. there are always primary and secondary elements inside the design which you must know to create the picture. sometimes, there are important elements in the space that do not agree with the interior design concept. these may be sentimental objects for the owner. it's your task to find out why they are there.

Ferdinand said:
Yup second also has too much shadows I feel but I didn't want to spend so much time to PS stuff, it doesn't really pay that well for me to spend so much time PP-ing it.

The cloud is real, I just saturate it to make them bluer.

if post-processing is not cost effective for you and you are not able to produce the works you want without post-processing, it's always good to rethink whether you should take up the job. as a paid job it is the photographer's responsibility to deliver the quality regardless of whether there is or isn't post processing applied.

By the way, indeed your shots looks like painted prints rather than "real", too flat IMHO

Talk to the designer to see what they want to emphasise, this will normally help.

Overall have to say it does looks rather professional if I see it more like artist impression kind of pic (if you know what I mean :) )

eikin said:
if post-processing is not cost effective for you and you are not able to produce the works you want without post-processing, it's always good to rethink whether you should take up the job. as a paid job it is the photographer's responsibility to deliver the quality regardless of whether there is or isn't post processing applied.

Couldn't agree better :)

Me too, feel the lighting is way too flat. Lighting is important in interior shots as it brings out the "mood".

First mistake
Lighting is totally all over the room. Too direct.

Second mistake
Because of the wrong position of the light, you create too much harsh shadows

Third mistake
As some have mentioned, using some natural light with the usage of interior lights could be better.

Fourth mistake
If you want to include the outdoor clouds and so on, picking a later part of the day would be the most ideal choice to match with natural light.

Only use your studio lights to fill, not to illuminate the whole interior. To make the whole room look like natural light, you need to fully utilised the hidden corners. Interior like this one, a warm use of light is more suitable. Reason? To make the room more cosy feel and to make some parts of the room to be darker as there are way too much things.

If your exposure is perfect, you would not need to do too much post processing.

Status
Not open for further replies.