Interested to join for StarTrails ?

Let's fix this as our location, as we have too many members we can spread out evenly at this place. What do u say?

I think there is Cemetry near by, many of us may not feel comfortable going there.

Also i heard "Neo Tiew Road, Changi Beach, Tanah Merah Road End." Does any one know this place?

I think there is Cemetry near by, many of us may not feel comfortable going there.

Also i heard "Neo Tiew Road, Changi Beach, Tanah Merah Road End." Does any one know this place?

I think east side is out, with frequent flights and facing Johor direction light pollution should be quite strong that area.

I think east side is out, with frequent flights and facing Johor direction light pollution should be quite strong that area.

This place was suggested by PSS (Photographic Society of Singapore) member. And Sinned79 proposed " Lim Chu Kang cemetry", do u know this place?

This place was suggested by PSS (Photographic Society of Singapore) member. And Sinned79 proposed " Lim Chu Kang cemetry", do u know this place?

That area is usually quite dark, especially areas with big grass patch as nearby is army training area.

But with a background of "homes", not sure will this be everyone fav...

Find an interesting thread also : SingAstro • View topic - Anyone taken startrails photo in singapore before?

For taking startrails, you can use stacking method. With stacking, you can even get nice startrail shots in urban conditions like Singapore. You can use a software called "Startrails" to create startrail shots at ease, available free of charge from Startrails application

1). Focus properly; then, depending on sky brightness, choose suitable exposure time, aperture and ISOs. Normally for stacking, 30s exposure is enough. If you are under dark skies, set aperture wide open and high ISO; if you are in urban area, set to smaller aperture and lower ISO. As soon as you get proper exposed single frame, neither underexposed nor overexposed, you can move on to step 2.

2). Say you want a 1-hr startrail, simply take 120 photos using the same settings. For Canon 450, if you want to take 120 photos continuously without manual efforts, you'll need to purchase a timer remote control, or simply use a laptop to control. One point to note, the more photos you stack, the higher the signal to noise ratio.

3). Before or after you take all the single frames, put on the lens cap, take one more frame at same settings. This is called a "dark frame". By stacking this frame afterwards, the hot pixels will be killed.

4). Upon finishing taking all the neccessary frames. Import the light frames into the Startrail software, and import the dark frame also. Then press the startrail icon, stacking process begins; soon enough you'll get your result. Very easy.

i am using this method for my photo. :D but i didn't take 120 photos although i planned to do 100+ odd, but my bad, my lens got fogged out before I can shoot more then 60+ photos. in the end I only picked the 25 photos out of the 60+ photos to merge them using the mentioned software.

Last edited:
i am using this method for my photo. :D but i didn't take 120 photos although i planned to do 100+ odd, but my bad, my lens got fogged out before I can shoot more then 60+ photos. in the end I only picked the 25 photos out of the 60+ photos to merge them using the mentioned software.

yh as that thread explains we can apply that settings.

Proposed locations are -

Neo Tiew Road, Changi Beach, Tanah Merah Road End.
Lim Chu Kang cemetry.

I never been to above places, you guys should toss which one would be good or can suggest any other towards south of singapore

there are two approaches, and i usually do the timelapse approach then just the time lapse software (see my earlier post for the link) to merge them into a single photo.

the long exposure method can also be used but pretty "dangerous" cos anything went wrong during the exposure (airplane passes by, people walk into your frame etc), your efforts will be gone haha.

Not just that, long exposure can cause hot pixels on your sensor. The remedy is either a sensor remapping or change the sensor totally. Hot pixel is the opposite of dead pixel. That pixel will always be brighter so ... I am not taking that risk.

Hey guys,

This can be done at Changi Board walk but sky should be clear enough. I found a starTrail shot in Flickr that was at ChangiBoardWalk. Will post the link soon

And If there is no clear sky at least we can have some thing to shoot.

Hey guys,

This can be done at Changi Board walk but sky should be clear enough. I found a starTrail shot in Flickr that was at ChangiBoardWalk. Will post the link soon

And If there is no clear sky at least we can have some thing to shoot.

here's the flickr photo from TharGi Photostream
Start Trails @ Changi Board Walk

We will meet at Changi Village Terminal around 6.30pm tomorrow (SAT - 04-02-2012), so that we can have chance to shoot sunset also will have ample of time to select the better spot.

How to Get Here
By Bus:

Take the MRT to Tanah Merah Station. Exit and take Bus Number 2 all the way to Changi Village Bus Terminal.

Take the MRT to Tampines Station. Then take Bus Number 29, stopping outside Changi Village Hotel.

I would suggest we should split into groups, each group will have 4 members (as listed below). Thus one cannot be left behind, I observed this happens quite no.of outings.

Below are the interested participants, if you are planning to drop kindly take off your name from the list. (As of now only below members are allowed for this outing)

1 StarCaptain
2 slmka
3 Wasak2000
4 KishLeo

5 PengLee
6 diver_hloc
7 naomi7115
8 Fireemblem

9 Soulz86
10 davidtsc27
11 colden1032
12 alitansen

13 Shelmoh
14 xDreamerZ
15 incubus
16 Reno

17 Magix88
18 Joel Immanuel
19 NikeRocks
20 DuckVader 2001

21 Redsun
22 wowWorldWow
23 astrorion
24 fadli

25 Jacephoto
26 Quantumpix
27 Traveler
29 3MPTYHAND

Last edited:
wow, big group.

Maybe StarCaptain can talk to TASOS team for Clubsnap exclusive trip?
It is $40, not free, but you guys might be able to stay and snap sunrise, Lalang etc.
The advantage would be TASOS organisers will bring their big-teles to view the planets too.

paiseh, please remove me from interested-group :)
Wife will be complaining.

wow, big group.

Maybe StarCaptain can talk to TASOS team for Clubsnap exclusive trip?
It is $40, not free, but you guys might be able to stay and snap sunrise, Lalang etc.
The advantage would be TASOS organisers will bring their big-teles to view the planets too.

paiseh, please remove me from interested-group :)
Wife will be complaining.

TASOS team? That's good idea but it's too late. Probably i will setup some other time.

Big Group - eventually we are spliting into small groups though.

Last edited:
May I know what is the expected time we ending the shoot? cos I am living in the west...

Not really sure, i thought of something to do this way.

> 6.45- 7.30 (we can shoot sunset)
> 7.30 - 7.45 ( finding a place to shoot)
> 7.45 - 8.30 ( StarTrail photography)
> 9.00 head back homes.

1 StarCaptain
2 slmka
3 Wasak2000
4 KishLeo

6 diver_hloc
7 naomi7115
8 Fireemblem
9 Soulz86

10 davidtsc27
11 colden1032
12 alitansen
13 Shelmoh

14 xDreamerZ
15 incubus
16 Reno
17 Magix88

18 Joel Immanuel
19 NikeRocks
20 DuckVader 2001
21 Redsun

22 wowWorldWow
23 astrorion
24 fadli
25 Jacephoto

26 Quantumpix
27 Traveler
29 3MPTYHAND

[Removed] - 5 PengLee

you can take off your name from the list and repost with the list as i did here

StarCaptain said:

> 9.00 head back homes.

1 StarCaptain
2 slmka
3 Wasak2000
4 KishLeo

6 diver_hloc
7 naomi7115
8 Fireemblem
9 Soulz86

10 davidtsc27
11 colden1032
12 alitansen
13 Shelmoh

14 xDreamerZ
15 incubus
16 Reno
17 Magix88

18 Joel Immanuel
19 NikeRocks
20 DuckVader 2001
21 Redsun

22 wowWorldWow
23 astrorion
24 fadli
25 Jacephoto

26 Quantumpix
27 Traveler
29 3MPTYHAND

[Removed] - 5 PengLee

Please buzz me at 9336.2824, when u reach there

> 9.00 head back homes.

1 StarCaptain
2 slmka
3 Wasak2000
4 KishLeo

6 diver_hloc
7 naomi7115
9 Soulz86

10 davidtsc27
11 colden1032
12 alitansen
13 Shelmoh

14 xDreamerZ
15 incubus
16 Reno
17 Magix88

18 Joel Immanuel
19 NikeRocks
20 DuckVader 2001
21 Redsun

22 wowWorldWow
23 astrorion
24 fadli
25 Jacephoto

26 Quantumpix
27 Traveler
29 3MPTYHAND

[Removed] - 5 PengLee

Can't make it this weekend

kindly remove my name from list. bcoz i have something on.sorry guy..c u guy next time..cheer.