Intensive crash course in Photography

This may be an affront to those of us who have been honing our craft for years .....can sense that some of you feel scornful of even such a request.... even me.... initially when I'd read his thread yesterday, I have to admit that I felt a little indignant.

In our minds ... well, at least mine... I was feeling "Been busting my chops for so long in photography and this punk comes in with a money-no-issue attitude and wants to do what ? Find a mentor to one-on-one tutor him to a level of competency in 2 months that took me YEARS to reach (and I not even there yet ?) ?"

TODAY, for someone to go from near-zero to competent (not top-of-class) within a mere 2 or a few months?

And in a single, couple or many genres ?

So, in short.... is it possible to do an ELIZA DOLITTLE given what's available today ?

The resources available are extremely accessible ... certainly that learning curve can be extremely steep and short these days with so many photo forums and online tutorials ........... vs. say, pre-2000

I say...... in a MUCH shorter time than vs the past yes I think thats possible.....but in 2 months through a one-on-one photography boot camp ? Possible ?

Discuss ..... and please refrain from taking veiled pot-shots at the TS.... we should actually thank him for seeding this discussion :thumbsup:

I would say it's definitely possible to reach a high level of competency in two months (or even less) if he lives and breathes photography every day under personal one-to-one expert tutelage. Much will also depend on his level of motivation and his capacity for hard work and a willingness to take robust criticism of his works in order to improve.

its impossible to determine who is the "best" or "most famous" photographer in spore.

but many of the biggest named salon experts (only salon ppl, cus i dunno much professionals/commercials etc) will gladly offer to teach anyone aspiring to learn for free (or maybe not exactly free, as a form of respect, you must join their club, membership fee maybe $50).

I am not sure if I am missing something.

I don't see where the TS has indicated that he/she wants to
1) attain a high level of skill
2) make photography his/her source of income.
3) impress anyone (even so, nothing wrong with that, not for us to judge)

Why are there so many assumptions that that was the intention? :dunno:
I see it as a simple request to be taught photography, with information on expected time frame and intensity.

Last edited:
I am not sure if I am missing something.

I don't see where the TS has indicated that he/she wants to
1) attain a high level of skill
2) make photography his/her source of income.
3) impress anyone (even so, nothing wrong with that, not for us to judge)

Why are there so many assumptions that that was the intention? :dunno:
I see it as a simple request to be taught photography, with information on expected time frame and intensity.

:thumbsup:

Nice pictures in flickr!

If we all would list out all the relevant topics and subjects pertaining to photography...

with 2 subjects per day, say 4 hours to a subject / topic, I think 60 days is not enough.

Be realistic about having an interest in learning art.

Speaking from personal experience, I would have said I enjoy the gradual and relaxing pace of learning photography rather than rushing thro it.
Equals to...enjoying my food slowly , but not swallowing it in seconds just to fill my hunger.

As we know, there is this thing call.. the appreciation of art.
When visiting museum, art galllery, attending a concert, watching a ballet performance etc.

For those who had experience learning the chinese art of calligraphy or learning the Qi-gong or Tai-chi will fully understand what I am trying to say.
Impatient is definitely out with art. Just to find out how long it takes the production of the movie Avatar.

Last edited:
Discuss ..... and please refrain from taking veiled pot-shots at the TS.... we should actually thank him for seeding this discussion :thumbsup:

I always felt that time and money are correlated. If you have money, you can save on time. To me, if I want to do something fast, I just pump in more money. Whether or not can succeed, is another matter.

Due to resource issues, I am stalking a few individuals here in CS and trying to learn on my own. Didn't pay for any photography class. That's the long and non-expensive way. If I got cash, I'd put it into another lens or some gear, instead of say, a Willy Foo photography course (a number of my friends joined that), and I have to say, got immediate improvements. I'm sure if they have more money, attend more courses, someone dedicated to teaching them, they will learn even more and faster. Nothing wrong with that what :dunno:

Some people prefer to earn more money in their daily job; $20k may just be peanuts chump change to them. I know one guy whom you prob also know who falls into this category (need to borrow his ND106 :bsmilie: ) and I have seen how he is improving a lot. He's getting all sort of things, some of which I feel is ahead of time but :dunno: why not? I do the same if I were willing to put the money in.

TS took up photography many years ago and was enthusiastic enough to take up a course but it killed his passion instead. So now that he has rekindled his interest in photography, he does not want to lose it again and believes a personalised attention from a good, enthusiastic photographer will help him more that's all. And the time period is because he will be very free for that period should the need arise for an intensive period of training (depending on whoever is conducting the course.) :)

The other side of the discussion which has nothing to do with money is, learning is a process of making mistakes and working on reducing the errors of the previous work. The more mistakes we are willing to make, the more we will learn. At some point in time, I will be unwilling to make mistakes anymore, either too scared or something. Then, I will stop learning. And mistakes + correction, takes time. Some things, if rush them, then we may not learn from the mistakes or make them to learn from it.

It has happened to me in my previous hobby before (cycling). That's why the last few years, I was just stagnant. Have moved on... hopefully photography will last me longer. :bsmilie:

Pardon me Wildcat, this is just a joke, no bad intention.

When / If you want a kid, by pumping in more money, you child will be delivered in 2 months time ?

And for something real...

We are much aware that enough funds has been pump into our national soccer team, supposing to be lions, but after many years, they are still cubs....far away from the cup.

Last edited:
ts - i can teach you.

Pardon me Wildcat, this is just a joke, no bad intention.

When / If you want a kid, by pumping in more money, you child will be delivered in 2 months time ?

And for something real...

We are much aware that enough funds has been pump into our national soccer team, supposing to be lions, but after many years, they are still cubs....far away from the cup.

yes it's called adoption! pay $$$, you get a kid in 2 months.

if you pay $$$ for ronaldo, kaka, klose, terry etc, i am sure singapore will start winning tournaments!!!

money can buy lots of teams. i mean things.

TS asked for WHO (can teach him photography).

Since the dicussion has already deviated to IF (it is possible?).. We're just expanding the scope of OT to WHY (he is doing this?) mah........................... It's an interesting topic, as you said.................

As Ghaz1 post #47 stated, ( seems like a friend of chihuahua ), the Ts has got a bad experience before ( that is what I'd understand from that post ) after taking up a photography cours and was disappointed and had killed his / her interest.

So, I take it that the instructor conducting that course is not up to par to satisfy TS's passion in seeking the knowledge of photography ( within that short period ).

Now TS is looking for a new mentor, who can patch up for the time lost since that early course which he/she has taken.

Does anyone here know who's is most qualified ?

Hope I get it right this time.

yes it's called adoption! pay $$$, you get a kid in 2 months.

if you pay $$$ for ronaldo, kaka, klose, terry etc, i am sure singapore will start winning tournaments!!!

money can buy lots of teams. i mean things.

Oh yes, forgotten that we'd just won the world title of table tennis tournament. ( but also go thro a span of time )

As Ghaz1 post #47 stated, ( seems like a friend of chihuahua ), the Ts has got a bad experience before ( that is what I'd understand from that post ) after taking up a photography cours and was disappointed and had killed his / her interest.

So, I take it that the instructor conducting that course is not up to par to satisfy TS's passion in seeking the knowledge of photography ( within that short period ).

Now TS is looking for a new mentor, who can patch up for the time lost since that early course which he/she has taken.

Does anyone here know who's is most qualified ?

Hope I get it right this time.

Can go to PSS or *********.... I know them personally and know they can deliver quality lessons. Should take up the course on eye for creativity and travel photography. Its a 2 month course with critic. TS can shoot after every lesson and get to know many many award winning instructors there.

But Intense wise and improvement... I think it all depends on TS's 'inner strength'.

Mentors, instructors, teachers can only bring you so far... you have to walk the rest of the journey and later pass on the skill to someone ...

Last edited:
This will be an off topic post, but may be supported by many youngster or parent..

Proposal to the Ministry...

How about doing a crash course NS in 2 months instead of 2 years ? We can pay some money in lieu.

NS is National "Service", not National "Schooling".

So the application of crash course(Training/Learning) is not relevant......

btw.....

To squeeze 2 years training into intensive 2 months training.. the recruits may not make it.......

e.g. 1 day run 12x2.4km = 28.8km..........................

This will be an off topic post, but may be supported by many youngster or parent..

Proposal to the Ministry...

How about doing a crash course NS in 2 months instead of 2 years ? We can pay some money in lieu.

Last edited:

Not yet a friend but in the process of making friends. :bsmilie:

Hi LIMsgp,

was referring to Wildcat's principle of wanting to get things done fast, pump in the money.

Surely many parents here would like their son to complete the NS training ASAP.

Like Wildcat mention, whether can make it or not is another issue.

Hi Ghaz1,

how come no response from chihuahua, downhere at ClubSnap, we got loads of experienced photographers willing to extend their helping hands, and recently, many new Mods on duty are actual pro in their daily livelihood.

Only that, we would like to hear more of your unhappiness, and why, what makes you give up totally.

Hope to hear your reply soon, and seeing your works post up for crit.