Indoor group photo problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pr0t0type

Feb 16, 2002
East
Visit site
I notice some problems with my indoor group photos. It seems that some of them become out of focus despite standing close to the subject I focus on (i always use centre focus point to focus and recompose). Any tips to solve this problem without using smaller aperature?

can you show the picture in question?

and also, providing technical details such as aperture, shutter speed, focal length and focus distance used might be useful in helping you to analyze the problem.

it could also just be due to the lens you are using. some lower-end lens have 'blurring', vignetting or distortion problems especially towards the edge of the frame. of course, i'm not implying you are using a cheap lens! :bsmilie:

Would help in our accessment if you could post a photo here for all to view. There could be a variety of reasons for the observation you've made. Besides, shutter speed and aperture; it could also be the performance of the lens in use and distance from the lens to the subjects.

Sorry guys, I using film and I dont have a scanner. :(

Some details: Using EOS33 with 28-105 MKII, 420EX. Using Fuji400 film.
Pic taken around 50mm with aperature 3.5 (if i am not wrong). Bounce flash in AV mode.

Its like...

| (A)(B)(C)(D)(E) |

All standing close to each other. In nearly 1 straight line. I focus on subject (C), it turn out (A) and (E) get out of focus and (D) is slightly affected.

Also another shot is my uncle carrying my baby nephew close to his face. I focus on my nephew, my uncle becomes out of focus despite being so close. Hmmm...

I dont have a scanner, hope my above description helps. Thanks ppl!

your problem is due to shallow DOF at f3.5. Use a smaller aperture like f5.6, f8 should solve the problem..

Try wider angle 35mm, manual mode, f5.6 to f8, 1/30sec to 1/60sec, Flash bounce.

For group photos, I always use f5.6 to be on the safe side. If lighting is good, I don't mind even going f8. Only time I would use f3.5 is if I want to focus sharply on a subject while intentionally blurring other its background or other subjects that is not within its DOF.

Pr0t0type said:
Sorry guys, I using film and I dont have a scanner. :(

Some details: Using EOS33 with 28-105 MKII, 420EX. Using Fuji400 film.
Pic taken around 50mm with aperature 3.5 (if i am not wrong). Bounce flash in AV mode.

Its like...

| (A)(B)(C)(D)(E) |

All standing close to each other. In nearly 1 straight line. I focus on subject (C), it turn out (A) and (E) get out of focus and (D) is slightly affected.

Also another shot is my uncle carrying my baby nephew close to his face. I focus on my nephew, my uncle becomes out of focus despite being so close. Hmmm...

I dont have a scanner, hope my above description helps. Thanks ppl!

Definitely sounds like DOF problem. If you are using a flash, there is no necessity to open up the aperture so wide. For the 28-105, I find that its performance gets really good at between f8 and f16.

dkw said:
Definitely sounds like DOF problem. If you are using a flash, there is no necessity to open up the aperture so wide. For the 28-105, I find that its performance gets really good at between f8 and f16.

What if I want to capture the ambience light, coz I use fill-flash most of the time. Smaller aperture means slower shutter = difficult to handheld.

How do wedding photographers overcome this problem when taking dinner table photo?

Pr0t0type said:
What if I want to capture the ambience light, coz I use fill-flash most of the time. Smaller aperture means slower shutter = difficult to handheld.

How do wedding photographers overcome this problem when taking dinner table photo?

I use flash when I cover the dinner tables. You can't use wide open apertures and not use flash. Just won't work.

Pr0t0type said:

If you want a faster shutter, bump up your ISO setting.
In any case if you're in Aperture Mode, you can preset the shutter speed to 1/30 secs. Aperture set to f5.6 or more. Play around with this setting along with bounce flash.

snowspeeder said:
If you want a faster shutter, bump up your ISO setting.
In any case if you're in Aperture Mode, you can preset the shutter speed to 1/30 secs. Aperture set to f5.6 or more. Play around with this setting along with bounce flash.

Think you meant, manual mode? :)

Thanks for the advises everyone.

Lets say I put manual mode to cover table shot, shutter 1/30 with smaller aperture like f8 and wide 28mm with bounce flash. I should be able to capture everyone sharp. And a ISO 800 film in order to bring up the ambience lightings.

Sounds correct?

snowspeeder said:
Actually I used Aperture mode, but Manual also can.
Cos you mentioned in aperture mode, set the shutter to 1/30s and then adjust aperture to f/5.6, unless I'm mistaken, but setting of both shutter/aperture is only available in manual ;) Heehee.

Pr0t0type said:

Lets say I put manual mode to cover table shot, shutter 1/30 with smaller aperture like f8 and wide 28mm with bounce flash. I should be able to capture everyone sharp. And a ISO 800 film in order to bring up the ambience lightings.

Sounds correct?

Sounds good to me, but I often prefer 1/60s rather than 1/30s, but it's just me :)

Yep, ISO800 would be good if you can use it. :)

espn said:
Cos you mentioned in aperture mode, set the shutter to 1/30s and then adjust aperture to f/5.6, unless I'm mistaken, but setting of both shutter/aperture is only available in manual ;) Heehee.

On the custom menu of the D70, the shutter speed can be set for use in Aperture mode. If only my hands were more stable, I would have used 1/15 sec.

Pr0t0type said:

Sounds correct?

You should take into consideration the ceiling height before you use this method. Would ISO 800 be a little grainy? I've not tried this b4.

Status
Not open for further replies.