In a crowded train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ride in the first or last car of the train. If there is seat at the extreme end right next to the driver compartment, take that one, and place your tripod, opened but not extended, in front of you and your gear to act as a barrier. Worst case someone kicks your tripod a bit, but no harm done. If no seat, try to stand near that extreme end of the train as well.

Take a cab, if not just walk :)

Hi guys, care to share how you make it in a crowded train with your bulky camera equipment bag and a tripod. I still find it space consuming even when I place my bag inbetween my legs while standing on the train. When people are moving in and out of the train, I will have some problem as I need to slide my bag with my leg to make space for them to move out. Please do not ask me to get a vehicle to solve the problem :(.

Wear a Photographers Vest. Put all your Gears in the vest. Make sure its the padded type.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPi8xHADnpo

You can hang your tripod next to your hip.

Cheers!

I have a solution...

Take either the 3rd or 4th carriage of the train and stand at the wheelchair area (the part where the couple seats are missing).

you sure TS won't get beaten up by a grumpy guy in wheel chair?
:sweatsm:

Live with it......... Seriously.

Do you seriously think somebody has a better idea?

come to me when u need to learn how to drink milk .......... :bsmilie:

Just hang around Singapore Expo MRT or City Hall MRT stations and observe how the clever ones do it during HiFi Show, Electronics Show, IT Show or PC Show and lug even bigger boxes around ......

Farrer Park MRT station on Sundays is also prime example when u see how people lug huge luggage, bags and boxes on and off MRT trains

Last edited:
Ride in the first or last car of the train. If there is seat at the extreme end right next to the driver compartment, take that one, and place your tripod, opened but not extended, in front of you and your gear to act as a barrier. Worst case someone kicks your tripod a bit, but no harm done. If no seat, try to stand near that extreme end of the train as well.

This idea of standing near the extreme end of the train sounds good. Chances of people getting off and me blocking them is lower. Btw, taking cab is expensive... I am a lowly paid employee:cry:

don't wash the photo vest and make it smell really bad

-_-", something more serious lea... Anyway who the hell wants to put their filters in a vest that smell that bad?:think:

Hi guys, care to share how you make it in a crowded train with your bulky camera equipment bag and a tripod. I still find it space consuming even when I place my bag inbetween my legs while standing on the train. When people are moving in and out of the train, I will have some problem as I need to slide my bag with my leg to make space for them to move out. Please do not ask me to get a vehicle to solve the problem :(.

I do the same, except, I'll try to get to a corner or squeeze to the middle of the cabin once and for all. ;)

This idea of standing near the extreme end of the train sounds good. Chances of people getting off and me blocking them is lower. Btw, taking cab is expensive... I am a lowly paid employee:cry:

I have actually done it with good result, that's why I recommend this method. Give it a shot.

Just live with it lor...

I dont think MRT in SG will be worse than Tokyo train.
I have live with it for almost 3 yrs.....

Most of the time, I put my bag at the over head rack.
But for MRT, there isn't any over head rack.

Here are some sample photos how pack the train in Tokyo...
BTW does the MRT officer come to the platform to push you in to the train like this ???

I think you should be luck that MRT in SG is not like that...

3565942082e1f14b42c.jpg

metroh.jpg

Last edited:
Suddenly I am glad I live in Singapore and I will stop complaining MRT so crowded from today :bsmilie:

Do I need to teach you how to walk? If you are in a crowded train, just tough luck you'll have to give way if your equipment is blocking the way. If not, wait for another train, go to other cars, step out and give way, take a cab, whatever!

i do have the following suggestions:
1. carry your tripod like rifle pt i.e. hands stretched above your head
2. stand by the corner where possible
3. place your equipment under the seats if you are standing in the centre

I kind of like this guy idea but do it in a more extreme way
hold the tripod like a ak47 arms around the legs camera near ur head level or over head level definitely got ppl siam one :) but of course u need a good heavy tripod and make sure it secured properly

Status
Not open for further replies.