Importance of a good makeup artist

Portraitures, is a make-up artist important?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would agree that a portrait is more than just shooting models, but generally in posed portraits, wouldn't we agree that a certain amount of makeup and styling it required?

Seriously, I'm waiting for Deadpoet to make his comments... :sweat:
Deadpoet will say YES! and
Student will say NO!

catchlights will say YES! to those above 12 years old.

How many of us shoot portraits and find that a make-up artist is a MUST?

I'm a noob at portraiture but I dun see much point in shooting a model if there isn't any decent makeup or styling done. How many would agree with such a statement?

Let's discuss. ;)

Also remember that the makeup for indoor, outdoor, colour and B&W are all different. So MUST tell the MUA (if he/she is experienced enough) what you're shooting.

you must understand why the TS asking this question, if it is from a street shooter or photojournalist asking this question, it will have different type of responses.

I suppose TS=thread starter?

He/she was talking about shooting portraits. He/she did not say he/she was shooting models or making pretty pictures.

I am now learning to draw - portraits in particular. And obviously "portraits" mean a whole lot more than pretty models or photographing people in studios. We are not talking about street photography, or or photojournalist. Those are different.

We are talking about making portraits - of people. And there is a lot more than pretty models.

Obviously I mistook the TS's intention. Now I know he was actually talking about making pretty pictures of pretty models. Not "portrait" per se.

My apologies.

For me... a definite YES!!!

That is why I always insist a professional MUA for all my organised shoots be it community shoot or theme shoot. A good makeup makes hell lot of different. And I would never save on that! Furthermore in my context, for organised shoot, the cost including my studio rental, etc, already been calculated and shared out by all the participants. As such I believe it is my job as a organiser to provide the best possible for all the participants. :)

TS, wants to join my shoots? :p

He/she was talking about shooting portraits. He/she did not say he/she was shooting models or making pretty pictures.

I am now learning to draw - portraits in particular. And obviously "portraits" mean a whole lot more than pretty models or photographing people in studios. We are not talking about street photography, or or photojournalist. Those are different.

We are talking about making portraits - of people. And there is a lot more than pretty models.

Obviously I mistook the TS's intention. Now I know he was actually talking about making pretty pictures of pretty models. Not "portrait" per se.

My apologies.
It's not your fault, most people here will refer doing portraits as photographing young pretty lady.
hence having a question of "is make up artist is importance?"

My apologies.

Btw, I'm a guy.

And sorry for being misleading... Just that after reading too much here in CS, I kinda have this mentality on portraitures, kinda forgot about the street shooting and photojournalist aspect.

Cheers,

For me... a definite YES!!!

That is why I always insist a professional MUA for all my organised shoots be it community shoot or theme shoot. A good makeup makes hell lot of different. And I would never save on that! Furthermore in my context, for organised shoot, the cost including my studio rental, etc, already been calculated and shared out by all the participants. As such I believe it is my job as a organiser to provide the best possible for all the participants. :)

TS, wants to join my shoots? :p

Having tried shooting at your studio, I will definitely go there again... Good MUA too, very pro-active and observant. :thumbsup: Good qualities...

Btw, I'm a guy.

And sorry for being misleading... Just that after reading too much here in CS, I kinda have this mentality on portraitures, kinda forgot about the street shooting and photojournalist aspect.

Cheers,
don't forget that many photos has already been overly touch up also, like those posters which commonly seen in little India.

don't forget that many photos has already been overly touch up also, like those posters which commonly seen in little India.

PP is another issue for us digital shooters... Either we don't know how to do it properly (some dun even do any...:sweat:) or sometimes, we go overboard and do too much...

PP is another issue for us digital shooters... Either we don't know how to do it properly (some dun even do any...:sweat:) or sometimes, we go overboard and do too much...
does it look real to you?

do you want to classify some as portraits?
some as SciFi?
some as Fantasy?
some as Fairy tale?

and some as Horror?

Mebbe we can put PP to a separate topic, else will have too much OT on this MUA topic.

I'll start one here : Post Processing

My apologies.
Actually I believe TS is asking in general.

Portraiture photography is a general term. It simply means taking photographs/picture of another person/group. As a photographer, your job is to make the subject, your model, (need not to be professional model, could also mean your wife, friend, etc, and most importantly need not always be females.), look at his/her best in the photographs.

To a professional photographer, he might think that portraiture is only for commerical jobs like fashion, glamour, magazine, etc. Actually I see it both as same. As long as you're commissioned to take a photograph of a person, be he/she you know or not, it is your duty to make the subject looks at his/her best. :)

Ah... little india. A place full of natural models. :bsmilie:

Actually I like shooting there also. For come reasons, Indians love to pose for you. Just ask them nicely, they are more than willing to let you to photograph them.

Unlike Chinatown, although the place is full of interesting buildings and stuff but the ppl are not as friendly. Ever kenna stalk by a Ah Sor thinking I am photographing her for 2 streets. Really crazy woman!. :(

Let's see..

so far,

19 YES
0 No
3 Neutrals

So it seems that most people who polled believes in MUA. So should we have one provided for all future shoots? ;)

I mean the those POSTERS on the wall of little india....

look at the model picture posted here, so many of them does not look like humans, the skin is so smooth, so flawless, better than baby skin, macham like GOD like Fairy liao.

It really, really depend on the style of photography that you are aiming for.

Realism, fantasy, dreamy.

Well, anything goes I guess :)

I mean the those POSTERS on the wall of little india....

look at the model picture posted here, so many of them does not look like humans, the skin is so smooth, so flawless, better than baby skin, macham like GOD like Fairy liao.

So if makeup is used to cover these flaws? Is that ok?

So if makeup is used to cover these flaws? Is that ok?

depends on u lor... u want nose bleed a bit...then dun cover flaws
if u want nose bleed jialat jialat... then cover the flaws, enhance the beauty, take off the clothes :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.