Image Stabilizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

unseenshadows

Oct 8, 2007
Marine Parade, Singapore
flickr.com
I'm not too sure, but I think my 28-135 IS USM has one of the oldest versions of IS (which is to say, can't pan, switch off whilst mounted on tripod).

My question here is, the CSer who sold me the lens told me to switch off the stabilizer when changing lens and when not in use, or it will damage the lens. If I keep the lens mounted onto the body (not in use), must I make it a point to switch the stabilizer off? Am confused because a friend (nikon user) tells me he keeps his VR on even when his camera and lens are not in use.

So basically, will forgetting to switch off the stabilizer damage my lens when its not in use?

The mechanism is still moving inside if you don't switch it off i suppose.

I have an EFS 17-85 which is similar to the 18-135 I guess. The manual doesn't state that. Infact theonly reason it ask us to shitch of on a tripod is to conserve battery.

i thought when u change lens or not using, the power to the camera is off anyway so does it make a difference?

Hmm. I took the seller's advice and kept it off when its dismounted and when changing lens. Just that I don't check if its off when its mounted on my cam and not in use. In any case, no problems so far. Just kinda paranoid.

just keep to the the manufacturer's instructions will do. u wouldnt want to be caught without it when u need it most. i think most lenses quite hardy.

I'm not too sure, but I think my 28-135 IS USM has one of the oldest versions of IS (which is to say, can't pan, switch off whilst mounted on tripod).

My question here is, the CSer who sold me the lens told me to switch off the stabilizer when changing lens and when not in use, or it will damage the lens. If I keep the lens mounted onto the body (not in use), must I make it a point to switch the stabilizer off? Am confused because a friend (nikon user) tells me he keeps his VR on even when his camera and lens are not in use.

So basically, will forgetting to switch off the stabilizer damage my lens when its not in use?

i do not switch off the IS switch when changin lens or not using the lens. Lens work very fine n well without any problem at all. There is no issue @ all.

Hmmm i alway thou IS is only activated when you half press the release button so when the camera is off there no way for the IS to be activated......:think:

As soon as you turn the lens from its mount, the contacts are no longer touching and there won't be any current going to the lens, no need to shut off manually.

Turn off the power switch before changing lens. There should be no more current passing through the contacts.

Was advised by CSC to turn off the IS before connecting and disconnecting the lens to the body.

my 70-200 IS died about a year back and did not practice this procedure before that until I got it repaired.

Was advised by CSC to turn off the IS before connecting and disconnecting the lens to the body.

my 70-200 IS died about a year back and did not practice this procedure before that until I got it repaired.

care to tell how you know / identify the IS in the lens is spoilt? thanks

For me, there a single knocking sound ("tock") when I half press the shutter release, which activates the IS.

The other clue was at long zooms, my hand shake is obvious through the VF, showing that the IS stopped working.

Some have reported an ERR 01 (for 20D/30D) on the top LCD. Not seen this.

care to tell how you know / identify the IS in the lens is spoilt? thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.