Image quality (or noise control) on large JPEG and medium JPEG

blacksmith

Dec 30, 2007
Singapore
A silly question. If I change the output JPEG image quality from Large-Fine to Medium-Fine, do I get better quality images (or lower noise) as the same sized sensor is to produce a smaller image after the setting changes.

The large medium and small on the jpeg actually determines the actual physical size of your image in pixels.

So do you know the answer now?

A silly question. If I change the output JPEG image quality from Large-Fine to Medium-Fine, do I get better quality images (or lower noise) as the same sized sensor is to produce a smaller image after the setting changes.

the short answer (according to dpreview) is that it doesn't really help.
For more details, see: http://blog.dpreview.com/editorial/2008/11/downsampling-to.html

no i dont think that help... noise if i am not wrong will be directly linked to the density of the pixels within the sensor... you can choose a lower resolution picture but your density of the pixels remain the same... hence there will be no help...

just shoot RAW

great control just that file size is somewhat big
spend a few bugs on a few memory cards

There are times jpeg is more 'useful' than raw, especially when it comes to burst shooting and the buffer speed of writing raw images compared to jpeg. That's why I am using an entry lvl body I will shoot in jpeg (medium) for faster writing speed of images into my sd card. If I shoot in raw, it would be too slow and I might miss some shots while waiting for the camera to finish transferring the images.

I most time use jpeg (medium) as I don't need the photo to be that big.

ah i guess it depends what the user need at the end of the day

i shoot raw wherever i go cause i will process all my photos with lightroom anyway, be it jpeg or raw
and since lightroom has something to mimic canon's picturestyle, shooting in raw provides me with more options and flexibility during post-processing

if it's just shoot and share it on facebook and forget, then perhaps jpegs would be better
i shoot in jpegs (small) when i was overseas as there wasn't enough memory to last the whole 5 days if i had shot with raw

That's quite an understatement.

By Today's standard, 8 MP Raw file is not so big. 21 MP raw on the other hand...