Image quality from different lens on same setup

eatang

Nov 12, 2012
Singapore
Hi,

There are many different lens available in the market. I wonder whether they give the same or similar result when shot at the same setup. Example 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.8, 24-70mm f2.8 and 24-105mm f4. Is the image from those lens are similar in term of quality & sharpness if shot at the same setup, like at 50mm and f4 ?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

There are many different lens available in the market. I wonder whether they give the same or similar result when shot at the same setup. Example 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.8, 24-70mm f2.8 and 24-105mm f4. Is the image from those lens are similar in term of quality & sharpness if shot at the same setup, like at 50mm and f4 ?

Thanks in advance.

Asked to death, and easy to check for yourself by reading reviews. In general, the prime lenses will still give slightly better image quality though it may not be noticeable.

Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Different lens have different sharpness at different parts of the photo (corners, centre, sides) at different apertures. Some distort more at wider focal lengths. Some have vignetting. Of course if they are priced differently there ought to be differences.

Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Simple answer: No... they don't.

Why?

The construction of the lens (design, aperture blades, assembly, etc), the number of optical elements in a lens, the different coating a lens have... etc. All these contribute to the difference in image quality such as sharpness, contrast, colour reproduction (I think), CA, quality of blur, etc.

Depends on how u define by 'similar'

Technically, no

Practically, cannot tell apart easily.

Ryan

Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Nope, question has been ask 13,134,472 times~
but if u dun pixel peek, it will look 99% identical