Image automatically shows correct orientation on camera but not on PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeltaOmega

Dec 6, 2004
I use a Canon 300D and transfer my images (JPEG highest resolution) to my PC using the CF card (Lexar 1GB 80X) through a multi-card reader.

When pre-viewing the images on my 300Ds LCD screen, the orientation is correct (i.e. portrait orientation is automatically detected by the camera and displayed correctly).

When I view the same image on my PC after transfering it over, the orientation is not correct anymore and all images get a landscape orientation.

I use Windows XP to copy and paste the files so I guess there might be a need to use some sort of camera software to transfer the files, or do I have to use USB instead of directly copying from the card perhaps.

Any insights appreciated. Thanks!

If you use PS CS or ACDsee there is a rotate button to orientate the thumbnail & hence the view (in any format).

DeltaOmega said:
I use a Canon 300D and transfer my images (JPEG highest resolution) to my PC using the CF card (Lexar 1GB 80X) through a multi-card reader.

When pre-viewing the images on my 300Ds LCD screen, the orientation is correct (i.e. portrait orientation is automatically detected by the camera and displayed correctly).

When I view the same image on my PC after transfering it over, the orientation is not correct anymore and all images get a landscape orientation.

I use Windows XP to copy and paste the files so I guess there might be a need to use some sort of camera software to transfer the files, or do I have to use USB instead of directly copying from the card perhaps.

The picture orientation is automatically captured in the image exif data. Dedicated photo-editing software such as PS will be able to read that info and display your pics in the correct orientation. However, Windows Explorer may not be able to do so.

Cheers,

DeltaOmega said:

As indicated in the above post, the image orientation will be detected by any Image Editor - e.g. PS, PS Element-2 etc.

However the same does not happen automatically when you click open with your default browser (e.g. Picture & Fax Viewer etc.)

So, do not worry - the moment you open the image in PS/Element-2 you will see it in the orientation that you had clicked it.

Thanks

hwchoy said:
use zoombrowser to transfer and process. for RAW files PSCS knows how to read the orientation as well.

I shoot in JPG, PS CS also rotate automatically. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.