imac vs pc graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.
30k for a computer that depreciated more than cars in 3 years?:eek:
4get it.

Vista might be better. With luck match, match Panther. But Tiger? Tough luck. And recent developers test/development kits criticism was that it was still a tad unstable. Don't need to look very far. HWZ had an article about it.

Photoshop CS2 might not be the best thing to run on mac. But.. I don't think future developments will alienate Mac users anyway. And PC users won't get to use Aperture.

As for display cheaper on PCs, sorry man. Mac can use cheaper LCDs anyday. In fact I think Dell 2407 is better and cheaper than ACD right now. How Mac utilise their graphics resources (the process not the hardware), is superior to W!ndows in anyway. Why do most designers/photographers use Mac then?

again base on personal preference, i find the OS-x a bit dump. i use mac in office work & XP at home. the iTunes is a really pain in the a$$ music app. i'll take winamp any time any day. also mac crashes big time too for what i do, its a big pain in the a$$ as well. the famous colour wheel of death... & no reset button...

in fact mac has been using a lot of cheap stuff in their lower end products, but becos it looks good, people tend to forgive its short comings. eg, the mac mini, its sells u for $999 but the same config can be had on a XP for $800 in a SFF or micro ATX form factor. the prev job i got from this big company... they gave the graphics designer a mac mini to do graphics work. i'm talking about real heavy duty stuff utilising after efx as well. the boss fail to understand why a dedicated graphics card is needed, why a true 8 bit LCD panel is needed & why colour accuracy (calibration) is important.

i really dun think mac utilises graphics resource better than win. its a very long history why graphic designers like to use mac (not sure if a lot of photographers use mac as well, i use XP to sideline). back in '83 apple is the 1st company to introduce GUI to the masses (GUI was actually invented by another company first but can't rem which, i think its silicon graphics). people doing graphics wud want a computer that dealt in the graphics domain cos its easier to make designs. adobe & apple were extremely good friends then & that went on for more than 10 years. designers r very used to mac after 20yrs with them, its more like "old habit hard to break" rather then more superior platform to work on.

however things took a turn. adobe decided to port PS into the intel platform as well in mid '90s, the 1st ver was ver 3. it was not as full featured as the mac ver until ver 4 came. PS 4 ran very well & fast & stable in winNT 4 but not on win95. adoption was naturally low on the NT side. today things r changing. i'm not even sure if adobe will want mac to run natively their apps on the intel mac, looking at what apple has done to their software market share in all areas.

conclusion: i still dun see how mac is more superior in the graphics area then an XP. XP is more economical to run & help more readily available.

in the a$$ as well. the famous colour wheel of death... & no reset button...

Press and hold down on the power up button. It will do a force hardware shutdown.

Or

Apple+Option+Esc will bring up a window to force quit the problematic application or even restart the Finder.

a
the boss fail to understand why a dedicated graphics card is needed, why a true 8 bit LCD panel is needed & why colour accuracy (calibration) is important.

Not many people realize the value of color accuracy (calibration) until they kena from their clients. Wah! this boss really cut corners jia lat x 2 siah!

conclusion: i still dun see how mac is more superior in the graphics area then an XP. XP is more economical to run & help more readily available.

AppleScripting to automate processes. Lack of viruses and spyware for now. Notice I say for now :cool:

Having said this, I still feel that photographers have to run dual platforms to satisfy their client needs. Use whatever tool you are more comfortable with. :)

xerox was the first to introduce the GUI

the colour wheel usually means that you do not have enough ram
what do you do with your mac?

colour management is built-into the OS

the boss fail to understand why a dedicated graphics card is needed, why a true 8 bit LCD panel is needed & why colour accuracy (calibration) is important.

Then he should not run the business until he learns.

Then he should not run the business until he learns.
unfortunately, that is the case in alot of business...they are run by people who do not know the nitty gritty of the trade but act like experts...and as for clients ;( :( :eek: ...

for really big (and I mean big) images, there will never be enough RAM...unless you get one of those workstation boards with 16 slots and populate them with 4GB sticks, and use an OS which can take all that RAM...and of course wait for photoshop to be able to handle all that RAM...:D

Press and hold down on the power up button. It will do a force hardware shutdown.

Or

Apple+Option+Esc will bring up a window to force quit the problematic application or even restart the Finder.
that's the thing, contrary to what some might say, Macs will hang just as much as Win based systems...

Good quality lcd display like those certainly have the "wow" factor, colours look wonderfully vivid and images looks sharp, clean and contrasty.

But after a while, you may notice that your crt monitor actually has better graduation in midtones and skin tone especially looks more real on a crt. The "actual" contrast range of a crt monitor is still much better than a lcd..

I have switched to a sony lcd monitor a few yrs ago due to space constraint, while I like the vividness of the display, I do notice the above difference when I view the same images elsewhere with crt monitor.

I think this is a to-each-his/her-own situation. Whatever makes you happy. Whatever makes it easier for you to take a dump everyday. Whatever gets you off.

For me? I am firmly encamped with the mac users. And it only took a low specced ibook G4 to do the trick for me. My next laptop will still be a mac. And the only reason why I continue to have a windows system in my house is because my wife hates mac (reason: it can't run her games. :bsmilie: )

For me? I am firmly encamped with the mac users. And it only took a low specced ibook G4 to do the trick for me. My next laptop will still be a mac. And the only reason why I continue to have a windows system in my house is because my wife hates mac (reason: it can't run her games. :bsmilie: )

Actually, its also the games keeping me to pc ..... okok there is dunno wat dual boot and dunno wat boot camp or something like dat..

*runs for cover*

xerox was the first to introduce the GUI

colour management is built-into the OS

thx for the mem refresh. :)

i'm in video production both SD & HD, with 2GB of RAM, it shudn't be that lacking altho its min requirement for video. the mac has no problem if u dun have additional hardware, but once u put in RAID cards, capture cards, sound cards, etc, the can of worms is released. all kinds of conflicts appear (on the old G4s & G5s), juz like a wintel machine. this is where readily help info is very important.

i noticed the built-in colour management profiles, does it mean u dun need an ext device to calibrate the screen? my impression is: its still neccessary.

when the sys crashed, there's no reset button to quickly restart, need to press the power button for 5s everytime it happens. this is a waste of time & each 5s can accumulate to huge precious production time at the end of the day.

i still very much prefer the XP ways. with many possibilities to manage & customise the desktop/sys. i can put icons in tray or task bar or choose not to put at all, the start menu has all the apps ready for use. it really annoys my when i need to dig into folders-subfolders-sub sub folders juz to look for the app to launch. mac has the launch bar for apps (usually users put frequently used apps on it) but if u put all apps onto it, it becomes messy.

after so many years, MS interface is still more efficient & logical for me. yes, it doesn't look as beautiful as the mac but i juz want to get work done, not oogle at it. if MS can be top for so many years, there has to be something attractive with their OS (many more apps, shareware & help juz to name a few), if not apple wud have been the dominating OS by now.

as for the virus & malware thingy, juz have to ask: if u r a reporter, wud u rather be harassing Tom Cruise or some cameo guy who appeared for 2s on screen then zapped by aliens? :bsmilie:.

i view apple products as fashion statement, looks very good but the same task can be achieved at a lower cost with other no frills wintel sys.

In the end is the user... if you don't know how to manage your own computer.. then no matter how fast the OS, the Hardware is, it'll still crash

actually i also toying with the idea of getting an imac especially after I see some of the photos shown on the imac screen...

In the end is the user... if you don't know how to manage your own computer.. then no matter how fast the OS, the Hardware is, it'll still crash

which means that even if the OS is stable, if it is not user friendly, it is still a poor design.

for my case, the OS X is the poorer design, not user friendly. many can disagree, i have no prob with that. :) i can't bring myself to use iTunes & iPhoto, haven't tried the rest of the 'i' stuff yet so no comments. also the 'i' thingy... sets an impression on me that it is all about the big 'i' & nothing for the community. promoting selfishness? thats for everyone else to interpret. :sweatsm: (looking at how the ipod works with only itunes, can't blame me for having that kind of impression)

coming back to the value for money question. how many mac users have a dedicated sound card in their sys (excl the laptops of cos)? how many experienced the 5.1 surround on their macs? the wintel platform has integrated 5.1 solution for some yrs now. for the same dollar of an imac, i get more features. :)

(ps. my fren juz sms me saying that mac has better graphics. :bsmilie: :bsmilie: )

ok. so maybe i will also need to state my curiousity.

i am decidiing on iMac 20" vs a 1.5k Peecee.

my main concerns are as follows.

1) i run alot of illustrator files, file sizes always range from 80mb -100mb. (a Dual G5 with 1.5gb ram takes some time to open too.)

2) i run batch processes of photographes in 25gb each shoot, taking about 2 days or 45 - 48 hrs of processing time.

3) huge library of mp3s encoded from my cd collection (250gb)

so basically i am looking for pc / mac which can handle my files better, faster and more efficient. i've tested the iMac 20" with 2gb ram. and i must say the processing time is cut short to by 30-34hrs. but photoshop is rather sluggish ? :dunno:

same goes for illustrator handling a 100mb vector file (equally sluggish)

i also have received advices from many people that a PC can handle these files much better if i can built a system strong enough to handle these files. some advices include (get a core 2 duo system with 4gb ram and 2x pcie graphics card and 250gb hdd and a good 20" lcd)

i am still confused thou..

(of course i wish to play some games when i am free. but i work 99.5% of my time... so want to hear from what advices you guys can give me )

kudos to all ! and peace. i am a mac lover, and i respect the pc. ;)

i have itunes and i have ipod. :bsmilie:

and if you have $250 for graphics card, what will you buy ?

SLI ? or just a individual card ? :dunno:

Don't have to worry about it being sluggish anymore. CS3beta is out with CS3 official launch in spring 07.

How to compare a 20" imac with a 1.5k pc. :dunno: Maybe you should compare with a 4k PC instead.

Whatever system u choose, nightpiper has the best point made - Colour calibration. For heavens sake, buy a spyder2 (or something like that) to calibrate your screens. I know because my screen vs print result currently looks funny before calibration.

Status
Not open for further replies.