ideal lens for studio shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.
i know all these already. but still appreciate the feedback.
just that since the difference is been mentioned.
comparing a 17-50 f2.8 and a 50mm F1.8 (adjusted to 2.8), both at 50, yes I agreed that 50mm prime will be sharper, but what other differences.. but this is ok, not the topest priority to me as of now. :)

All right, in simplest term...

Your 17-50mm @ f2.8 will lose in terms of the bokeh effect & sharpest in comparison to a 50mm prime @ f2.8... Also, the 17-50mm lens because of lens constructions, at 50mm on the 17-50mm, the lens will have more or less some distortions. The 50mm prime will have only minimal distortion due to its fixed focal construction.

In another words, a prime is better performances, but its all up to personal prefences.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Canon-Lenses/Zoom-Vs-Prime-Lens.aspx

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/2...pherical-if-canon-test-report--review?start=1

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/160-canon-ef-50mm-f18-ii-test-report--review?start=1

It really have to depend on your preference and the client requirement. Since I don't have the luxury of using ETTL II, all my flash are adjusted manually. Personally I preferred flash to constant light, and I am using a very small aperture (due to the requirement that everything need to be sharp for poster size print) a tripod had to be used as even the slightest shake is visible in large print. :(

Yes, on a safer side, tripod is best to have. It is like condom, always good to have one on standby, rather than if you need it, you dont have one.

For my studio works, I use tripod whenever possible except on cases when I am on ladder or low view point shoot.

Yes, on a safer side, tripod is best to have. It is like condom, always good to have one on standby, rather than if you need it, you dont have one.

For my studio works, I use tripod whenever possible except on cases when I am on ladder or low view point shoot.

Interesting annotation.. :bsmilie:

To me for studio shots, the lenses are of a less important (unless it have a very noticeable distortion at the focal length), as most of my studio shoot doesn't require a bokeh background (unless I am taking food, which is a totally diff ball game). That why I never brought my 70-200F2.8IS to a studio shoot before.. :sweatsm:

haha.. what an example.

All right, in simplest term...

Your 17-50mm @ f2.8 will lose in terms of the bokeh effect & sharpest in comparison to a 50mm prime @ f2.8... Also, the 17-50mm lens because of lens constructions, at 50mm on the 17-50mm, the lens will have more or less some distortions. The 50mm prime will have only minimal distortion due to its fixed focal construction.

In another words, a prime is better performances, but its all up to personal prefences.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Canon-Lenses/Zoom-Vs-Prime-Lens.aspx

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/2...pherical-if-canon-test-report--review?start=1

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/160-canon-ef-50mm-f18-ii-test-report--review?start=1

oh. this is the thing.
well, still thinking if just by bring my kits with D90 + 17-50 + 50mm to go for a studio shoot, is adequate anot. especially, something to studio, been the first time. light is the most impt key.

Interesting annotation.. :bsmilie:

To me for studio shots, the lenses are of a less important (unless it have a very noticeable distortion at the focal length), as most of my studio shoot doesn't require a bokeh background (unless I am taking food, which is a totally diff ball game). That why I never brought my 70-200F2.8IS to a studio shoot before.. :sweatsm:

IS doesnt work on tripod isnt it?

oh. this is the thing.
well, still thinking if just by bring my kits with D90 + 17-50 + 50mm to go for a studio shoot, is adequate anot. especially, something to studio, been the first time. light is the most impt key.

Quality of the light is also important. When we say quality of light, meaning Harsh (Hard, so call it) or Soft light. If light is too harsh on the subject, then your pictures will be washed out. Too soft, you get blurry underexposed pictures. Control the light is of utmost important as your control of camera. High key and low key images with classical lightings are still adored by many, in fact, is the key factor of studio photography.

Enjoy studio playing...

is tripod therefore a necessarity in studio portrait where shooters will move to achieve angles?
or rather cam on tripod, jus keep asking subjects to move and move.

is tripod therefore a necessarity in studio portrait where shooters will move to achieve angles?

Actually it's really depends on what you shoot. When I say a studio tripod, it can be a studio "flexible" arm with a tripod mount. It allow you to snap at both high and low & high angle, while keeping your camera steady.

What I had yet to try now is tethering, which would be an interesting approach in Studio shoot. :think:

Actually it's really depends on what you shoot. When I say a studio tripod, it can be a studio "flexible" arm with a tripod mount. It allow you to snap at both high and low & high angle, while keeping your camera steady.

What I had yet to try now is tethering, which would be an interesting approach in Studio shoot. :think:

It is fun with tethered shooting, and also to mention, more professional approach. Usually most of my client would choose the photos after viewing thru my MBP. You should try it. And also tethered shooting lets you and your client or the creative director discuss ways to improve a shoot. :thumbsup:

well, a simple summarized of what i checked, read and watched,
a 50mm prime 1.8 on a cropped body should b more or less than adequate for studio portrait - covering shoulder - head shots
i guess though with distortion, think 17-50 @ 17mm-20mm will provide me with sufficient distance to cover a full body length shot

just leaving with 1 more, would a 85mm b necessary or 50mm be just nice, i just have to move back / for to compose shots.

well, a simple summarized of what i checked, read and watched,
a 50mm prime 1.8 on a cropped body should b more or less than adequate for studio portrait - covering shoulder - head shots
i guess though with distortion, think 17-50 @ 17mm-20mm will provide me with sufficient distance to cover a full body length shot

just leaving with 1 more, would a 85mm b necessary or 50mm be just nice, i just have to move back / for to compose shots.

Personal preferences again... 85mm has much more shallow bokeh than 50mm. Can buy the cheaper Canon 85mm (non-L) to try it out.

Personal preferences again... 85mm has much more shallow bokeh than 50mm. Can buy the cheaper Canon 85mm (non-L) to try it out.

TS is nikon user from his signature

:) ya

haha yes, thanks all for the info so far

The shooters will always be the ones that move.
If subject moves, you have to change the lighting adjustment each time.

Status
Not open for further replies.