icarus outing #002 : Star trails

Status
Not open for further replies.
sehsuan said:
try running this program on your computer, set your location to different parts of the world, you'll know what i mean.

http://www.relex.ru/~zalex/

the "course" for celestial objects in our equatorial skies are very close to straight.
hey! this is interesting! thanks for sharing... i'm trying to digest this new software

Adzz said:
sorry, newbie in star trails. i wonder if u leave it for a few hours, at the smallest aperature etc, won't it still be overexposed?

At the smallest aperture (F16 for example) and a slow film like ISO 50, you would probably be exposing for a scene of EV -X. Give a EV of -3 for example, you will need 4 (to EV 1) + 1 (for ISO 50) + 6 (for stopped down lens), which gives you around 2048 seconds exposure plus recipocal error, you need to over exposure by at least 1-2 stops, making it about 8192 seconds roughly? Which is like over 2 hours?

Date : 07 May 2005
Venue : Changi Beach/Changi Boardwalk
Meeting place : TAMPINES MRT STATION @ 6.30pm

Things to bring:
- Tripod
- Camera
- Cable/Remote shutter release
- small torch light
- snacks to eat and talk cok while waiting for the bulb to finish

Anyone can join - big, small camera all welcome!
----------------------------------------------
1) icarus
2) denniskee
3) hazekang
4) Goo82sg
5) NMSS_2
6) horizonsky
7)

Never shoot star trails before, hope all the sifu down there will guide me along, Icarus

hOrizoNsKy said:
Never shoot star trails before, hope all the sifu down there will guide me along, Icarus

No worries, we will guide u along :)

If only the real shifus like YYK, ITguy can join us... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :devil:

Instead of letting people guide you, you can always do some research on how to do before hand. TEchniques are everywhere, so learn it and apply it on that day instead of learning it and applying it at the same time. This gives you time for preparation and somehow I believe will yearn you better photos.

James, I am just a cameraman. The reason why I shoot slide only is because I do not want to waste my money to print lousy pictures.

just brought a remote switch today ... ready to go !

hOrizoNsKy said:

I have tried once with 209 sec @f2.8, very short trail.

y8l2yp.jpg

Need a bit of patience.

hOrizoNsKy said:

Oh ya, please PM your number. Thanks!

I just came to learnt about the joy of shooting star trails, and taking part for this coming sat :sweat: , not only doing some research online, might also need some guidance on the actual scene. Looking forward :D

ICARUS, sure thing, will PM you now :D

Can an A85 user join in? :think:

Venom81 said:
Can an A85 user join in? :think:

Of course! Just sign up and join in the fun! :D
:bsmilie:

icarus said:
No worries, we will guide u along

If only the real shifus like YYK, ITguy can join us...
:embrass: I not shifu, i also a camera wielding man only.. just that I trial and error a lot of times in the past, that means a lot of late nights of no sleep.. then like what ITguy said.. keep searching the net for how ppl do it in light polluted areas like sg. My pics are not single exposures like I mentioned earlier. They are stacked pictures of a few to many shorter exposures depending on severity of light pollution. :D wonders of the digital realm. Else another way is to buy a light pollution suppressor filter (which is like :bigeyes: expensive)

Count me in though my camera might not able to do super long exposure.
Hee... :bsmilie:
Will go down tok cok and kpo kpo and learnt sth.

==========================================================

Venue : Changi Beach/Changi Boardwalk
Meeting place : TAMPINES MRT STATION @ 6.30pm

Things to bring:
- Tripod
- Camera
- small torch light
- snacks to eat and talk cok while waiting for the bulb to finish

1) icarus
2) denniskee
3) hazekang
4) Goo82sg
5) NMSS_2
6) horizonsky
7) obewan

icarus said:
Hey guys, anyone interested in doing some night photoshooting this saturday? This is a good chance to try out the bulb mode on your camera to do some really l o n g exposures.

Hope to achieve the following effects :
#1. Moonlight exposure
moonclouds.jpg

#2. Star trails
starshed.jpg

Time : 6.30pm
Things to bring:
- Tripod
- Camera
- small torch light

1) icarus
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)

count me in..pls..

Interesting, I might join too. a 32MB CF Card is sufficient? Hehe.... What if it's rains? These 2 days, keep raining, raining as I type too...

Adzz said:
Interesting, I might join too. a 32MB CF Card is sufficient? Hehe.... What if it's rains? These 2 days, keep raining, raining as I type too...

depends if you're shooting RAW, or jpeg.

this is one aspect of shooting where film will surpass digital in quality, vastly

Status
Not open for further replies.