icarus outing #002 : Star trails

Status
Not open for further replies.
NMSS and Haze, please PM me your mobile numbers. Thanks! :)

To all long term exposure gurus...
Will the battery run out of juice quickly if I expose too long?
Maybe need to pack extra battery if I go.

u also risk "frying" ur sensor chip when doing long exposure..

according to my kodak engineer,try to do long exposure at ur lowest ISO setting,chooising higher ISO means more heat..

theITguy, u coming? :D

D70 max exposure time for me was 1hr+ not reached 2. With fully charged original batteries.

James, not sure yet. But if I want to go I will be there at about 4pm+/- should the weather permits, else I will be at Little India, place of inspiration which never fails to amuse me everytime I go.

yanyewkay said:
D70 max exposure time for me was 1hr+ not reached 2. With fully charged original batteries.

OK. This is reassuring enough. But a bit scared about frying my CCD chip.. Does it really happen?

BTW, 1 hour sit in the dark can do what ah? Want to play chor tai tee also cannot.

seankyh said:
BTW, 1 hour sit in the dark can do what ah? Want to play chor tai tee also cannot.

so many things to do, eat, drink, talk cok, listen to music..etc :) :bsmilie:

icarus said:
What camera u using? Maybe ask around see got kind souls to lend u or not :)

i am using 10D..

didnt know the noise level is acceptable beyond 3.5min exposure, at least for my D60.

can someone pls post the noise level @ iso 100 for 1hr exposure, with the lens cap on. dont have to capture any image. thanks.

I will be using my K1000 with mech cable release, so I will have a spare cable for eos 1v & eos 50 (of cause you can use it with other model), pls put down your name as I only have 1 piece each.

1) eos1v - _________
2) eos50 - _________

noise pattern is unique to each sensor.. so one camera's sensor noise pattern will be different from yours. If you used his pattern to do a dark frame subtraction on your camera then you'll most likely end up with more noise.

no lar, not going to do that. never know CCD or CMOS can take 1hr exposure without noise. would like to see one.

you will NOT be able to replicate much of the 2nd photo for the star trails. singapore has excessive light pollution, even if you're at pasir ris beach facing johor direct. next reason - the celestial bodies have a near straight line east-to-west movement trail, instead of a curved path because we at very close to the equator.

sehsuan said:
you will NOT be able to replicate much of the 2nd photo for the star trails. singapore has excessive light pollution, even if you're at pasir ris beach facing johor direct. next reason - the celestial bodies have a near straight line east-to-west movement trail, instead of a curved path because we at very close to the equator.
no doubt it's impossible to replicate pic #2 but.. important thing is..
have you tried them out yourself?

why cant we get arcs and get straight lines instead?

Date : 07 May 2005
Venue : Changi Beach/Changi Boardwalk
Meeting place : TAMPINES MRT STATION @ 6.30pm

Things to bring:
- Tripod
- Camera
- Cable/Remote shutter release
- small torch light
- snacks to eat and talk cok while waiting for the bulb to finish

Anyone can join - big, small camera all welcome!
----------------------------------------------
1) icarus
2) denniskee
3) hazekang
4) Goo82sg
5) NMSS_2
6)
7)

yanyewkay said:
no doubt it's impossible to replicate pic #2 but.. important thing is..
have you tried them out yourself?

why cant we get arcs and get straight lines instead?

try running this program on your computer, set your location to different parts of the world, you'll know what i mean.

http://www.relex.ru/~zalex/

the "course" for celestial objects in our equatorial skies are very close to straight.

sorry, newbie in star trails. i wonder if u leave it for a few hours, at the smallest aperature etc, won't it still be overexposed?

Status
Not open for further replies.