I used the E-1 auto focus!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was out shooting Thursday for the first in a long time and I switched on the auto focus and in the very bright daylight, it worked adequately for the 45 shots I took. :)

In the past, I tried it for 2 or 3 shots, just to see if it worked at all, but it was unreliable and so slow that I could miss shots easily.

So, I thought I'd tell you that I had a few hours where I used the camera as though I was on holiday and it was okay, though I'll be right back to manual focus because dim light = no auto focus.

Hmmm.... i thought the Ep-1 AF is quite competent. Definitely nothing that shouts that says unreliable. Granted I do not own it, but I tried it for about 30-40 shots and took about 10-20 in a dim auditorium and the results were good. I did not feel that AF was a problem. In fact I was so impressed with the high iso capability and that I was able to take pictures in low light without too much hand-shake = thanks to good ISO and to IS. Interesting. How low light are u talking about. Also, I shot a really dark alley today using the E620. Boy was I impressed. Not only did it AF well, it was able to shoot it lighter than it was so that the brown colours of the wall came out. I could not even see the brown with my naked eyes. I should try to post that photo....if I can get to it. LOL.

i think TS is refering to E-1, not E-P1..

Indeed TS is refering to the E-1,not the E-P1,he is one of the few people still using the E-1 in the forum

LOL!!! Mis-read. LOL.

Indeed TS is refering to the E-1,not the E-P1,he is one of the few people still using the E-1 in the forum

Don't call me an antique. Whether I have the money or not, I don't like the E-3. The replacement will probably be good for me, though.

I just never used the auto focus on the E-1 until the other day. I'm sure putting the E-P1 guts into the E-1 would be an improvement, for the most part. :) Maybe, OlyFlyer will find a way. He's the one who does all the technical projects, right?

Brings a tear to my eye... my beloved E-1...

Don't call me an antique. Whether I have the money or not, I don't like the E-3. The replacement will probably be good for me, though.

I just never used the auto focus on the E-1 until the other day. I'm sure putting the E-P1 guts into the E-1 would be an improvement, for the most part. :) Maybe, OlyFlyer will find a way. He's the one who does all the technical projects, right?

I think you had missed quite alot these years using the E-1 without AF. :cry:

E1's AF assist is pretty handy in dim situations... For me, the E1's AF might be somewhat slower than my E3's, but mostly I do not think it is too grossly inaccurate. In fact, my E3 slightly misses focus from time to time. Which is annoying.

Haha,I didn't call you an antique :D I'm also still using E-1,so does that make me an antique too?;p

Not really,compared to most other cameras in the past years,E-1's AF is not really "The Best"

E1's AF assist is pretty handy in dim situations... For me, the E1's AF might be somewhat slower than my E3's, but mostly I do not think it is too grossly inaccurate. In fact, my E3 slightly misses focus from time to time. Which is annoying.
I concur

I would have missed plenty with the AF. I made money shooting sports without using AF in dimly lit situations.

What puzzled me is that my Olympus IS-20DLX is practically auto focus only and I didn't have trouble with it but you combine 1990s AF technology with digital capture and they didn't work together well.

It was interesting to see on Thursday that the E-1 AF worked as well as my manual focus in most cases.

For those who have never used the E-1, you never really know the power of full frame transfer Kodak CCD sensor!! The colors are (self censored *beep beep beep*) awesome!!!!

For those who have never used the E-1, you never really know the power of full frame transfer Kodak CCD sensor!! The colors are (self censored *beep beep beep*) awesome!!!!
is that true??? I have some dusk shots from a review E-1 that I never managed to replicate gradient-wise from E-410 or E.520....

is that true??? I have some dusk shots from a review E-1 that I never managed to replicate gradient-wise from E-410 or E.520....

The E-400 was the final Olympus body with a Kodak CCD. I don't even think the E-3 does as good a job as the E-1 but certainly there is a fine line concerning noise control. I can only imagine how the E-1 and TruePIC V would work together to combat the early escalation of noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.