i still cant decide between 24-105 and 17-55. help needed!

ctxx83

Nov 29, 2010
Hi fellow CSers. i had the above problem and it had been giving me sleepless night:kok: I'm using a canon 60D now and wanted to change my 18-135MM kit lens and replace it with one of the following above, but couldn't decide on which one. I had a 10-22, so i dunno whether do i need a 17-55 for the wide angle. 24-105 seems neat but i'm afraid the 24MM may not be wide and certainly after a few overseatrip, changing lens is a major headache.
Any fellow CSers here had a crop factor camera + a 24-105MM lens on it? How is it? Does the 24MM affect you very much? Thank you all for helping me out :)

use your 18-135, simulate the 24-105 focal length, shoot for 1 day and see whether you are comfortable with it or not.

its a question of

1) wide vs long
2)weather seal or no seal

thats pretty much it. both should give roughly similar IQ. when i was overseas, my 17-55 got most of the action. 10-22 and 70-200 were used only when the situation called for it.

oh and i felt for me, the 2.8 was more useful. because for night shots, you need all the light u can get. u can always crop if u feel that u cant zoom in close enough

everyone feels differently about using 24mm on crop vs using 17mm on crop.
those that hardly shoot wide will tell you that they don't miss not having the 17-24mm range when they get the 24-105L
those that shoots wide will tell you the other way round.

since you have the 18-135, y not just limit yourself to those focal lengths, and try out which range suits you shooting style the most?

I was at the crossroad like you previously. I got the 17-55mm, as it comes with a very useful range and f2.8 as well.

However it boils down to your shooting style. Based on you current 18-135mm, how often do you shoot between 18-24mm and how often you shoot >55mm?

Why do you need to change the lens? If you want a "in-between" lens, consider EF-S15-85. 15-85 is quite a decent performer if you don't need anything >85mm. The wide end is also "quite" wide (if you dun want to change lens)

I would buy 17-55mm for 1.6x cameras. If FF, 24-105mm is the way to go.

I have a 60D with 24-105.

Indoors in hdb flat, I wished I have something wider but I make do.

I shoot mainly my kid. So the 105 end is really helpful outdoors.

As many others say, depends on which focal lengths you shoot.

F2.8 n F4, you can bump ISO by 1 stop to compensate. But depends on your tolerance on noise and if the depth of field difference matters to you.

After switching from 17-55 f2.8 to 24-70 f2.8 I can tell you I miss the wide angle. It’s a very noticeable lack!

the ans is obivous... since you have wide angle lens 10-22mm then take 24-105mm.

i have tamron 17-50mm.. i seldom use below 24mm and wider than f4.. just ask yourself how often u shoot at 17-24mm

Furthermore, if you have plan to go FF, 24-105mm is the chioce. Unless you die die wan f2.8 lens.

Last edited:
since you have 10-22mm already, i would say go for the 24-105 to cover the range, it would be hard to change between two lenses. That lens has superb IQ, plus its L lens, the seductive Red ring. But there's a trade off to bokeh and low light if you choose the 24105 over 1755.

no matter what choice you made in the end, you wont regret with either.
:)

i tried both lens and both is nice.. IQ wise I would say not much of a difference.. maybe 1755 in term of low light its better... main difference would be the 2.8 and 4.. at least there is the iso to compensate.. but length wise the 105 is there when u need it.. it's useful for me at times.. since u already have 10-22 and the 24-105 looks good for u..

Thank you all fellow CSers for the valuable advices! I find that in low light even my 18-135 i have to struggle with it liao. Dunno about F4. My only concern is the 24MM. I'm afraid its just too tight

Thank you all fellow CSers for the valuable advices! I find that in low light even my 18-135 i have to struggle with it liao. Dunno about F4. My only concern is the 24MM. I'm afraid its just too tight

then just go for the 17-55. f2.8 is as fast as it can get for zoom lenses. any faster you will have to look into prime lenses.

can supplement the 17-55 with a 70-200 later on, for the further reach. or 85/f1.8, 135L f2.0 if you want faster lenses.

If low light still can pump ISO, its only e 24MM. Any other bros or sis who use 24-105 on thier crop body care to share more about thier experience :D thanks :D

i've had the 24-105 on a crop body before. i would say 24 on crop is abit tight for me.

since u already have the 10-22, it would be nice to complement it with a 24-105 to cover the range from 10-105. however, its sometimes a hassle to have to change lenses (take care of dust)

Hi fellow CSers. i had the above problem and it had been giving me sleepless night:kok: I'm using a canon 60D now and wanted to change my 18-135MM kit lens and replace it with one of the following above, but couldn't decide on which one. I had a 10-22, so i dunno whether do i need a 17-55 for the wide angle. 24-105 seems neat but i'm afraid the 24MM may not be wide and certainly after a few overseatrip, changing lens is a major headache.
Any fellow CSers here had a crop factor camera + a 24-105MM lens on it? How is it? Does the 24MM affect you very much? Thank you all for helping me out :)

For general photo, I find 17-55 is more practical than 24 on crop body, however it may be different if you seldom shoot anything beside portrait. Many people will find 24-40 range on crop is boring shots.

Canon 60d has a crop factor of 1.6x. If you want wide angle, I think you need to get at least 15mm (based on 24mm / 1.6).

Correct me if I'm wrong.

You can check out Adorama's website for lenses selection too:

hxxp://www.adorama.com/SG1020EOSK.html

For me, feel that 24-105 alright for outdoor shot. But there r times when wider angle is useful especially in room or u have no more space to move backward. If I dun know which to bring, I will jus take my 15-85mm out as it has a better range n lighter too.