I have a problem..... what do u think of this solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by ckiang
Have you thought of shooting slides? It's cheaper overall to shoot slides vs negatives.

Not sure what a roll of slide film and processing costs in Singapore.

Here in OZ, comsumer slide film is around AUD$12/roll for 36exp (not sure about bulk packs) and professional is around AUD$15-18/roll for 36exp.

4 packs Kodachrome 64 and 200 are normally AUD$99 and the price includes processing and mounting. I have paid as little as AUD$69 for a 4 pack of Kodachrome.

Processing without mounting can be done for about AUD$8-$9 roll and process/mounted around AUD$18-$20 a roll.

jimmy...

Originally posted by mysteriousjimmy

Not sure what a roll of slide film and processing costs in Singapore.

Here in OZ, comsumer slide film is around AUD$12/roll for 36exp (not sure about bulk packs) and professional is around AUD$15-18/roll for 36exp.

4 packs Kodachrome 64 and 200 are normally AUD$99 and the price includes processing and mounting. I have paid as little as AUD$69 for a 4 pack of Kodachrome.

Processing without mounting can be done for about AUD$8-$9 roll and mounted around AUD$18-$20 a roll.

jimmy...

Wow!!! That's very ex!!! In Singapore professional slide films can be had for S$8-9. (I believe the exchange rate is about Aus$1 = S$1.1?)

Mounting A$18-20?!! :what: We can have it for less than S$10! Very professionally done too.

Does anyone know why the prices of films and processing are so much more expensive overseas compared to Singapore?

I think it's definitely more economical for you to stick to digital if moeny is an issue.

Heh..back in my uni days in Melbourne I used to shoot black n white to cut cost (hey...the darkroom and chemicals were free!). Cost-wise its definately higher over in aussie. The prices of the 2nd hand equipment is almost equiv to a brand new one here in sg. However u'll get to see 2nd hand super teles there...400, 500, 600...soemthing which I don't see often back home in sg :devil:

For scanning purposes...try to use networking...I'm sure u know ppl who are in the uni photography/design course ;) hehe

Marc, from what I've seen on Australia, is that slides are costly compared to Singapore. This one the major supplies I bring over to my colleagues in Australia, especially Provia 400F. You may like to do some search on this before buying everything. By the way, when do you fly?

Originally posted by Dagger

This one the major supplies I bring over to my colleagues in Australia

So if anyone is ever coming to Sydney, do you want to bring me over some slide film :)

Originally posted by kiwi2

Wow!!! That's very ex!!! In Singapore professional slide films can be had for S$8-9. (I believe the exchange rate is about Aus$1 = S$1.1?)

Mounting A$18-20?!! :what: We can have it for less than S$10! Very professionally done too.

Does anyone know why the prices of films and processing are so much more expensive overseas compared to Singapore?

Slide films, processing and mounting seem to be more expensive.

Negs, processing and prints seem to be on par with Singapore.

BUY BUY BUY!

First, buy 40 rolls of film.

Then buy developing and processing.

Then buy flatbed scanner.

Then realise flatbed scanner is crap.

Then buy film scanner.

Then buy inkjet printer to print scans.

Then realise inkjet printer is crap.

Then buy dye sub printer.

Then realise dye sub printer is a waste of time.

Then buy prints from a standard lab.

Then realise standard lab prints are crap.

Then buy prints from pro lab.

Then realise film is crap.

Then buy a DSLR.

Then be happy and join the dark side.

So, then, why don't you just buy a DSLR to start with? You know you wanted to...

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Haha..:D
Indeed a difficult decision to make...

since marcwang mentioned that he just started films, maybe just a reminder that the scanners in the airport might pose great danger to your 40 rolls of film, should you decided to bring over the films.

Insist on hand check instead.

Cheers
;)

And do enjoy ur studying years in australia.

Just bought a Canoncan 5000F . Tried scanning, and I'm pretty pleased with the results. Film scanning resulted in lower contrast than scanning the photos. Colours were a bit different too... a little colder and bluer on film. All can be solve on photoshop.
Scan speeds for photos were mighty fast.... . Negatives took like 10 mins at 600 dpi , and were less sharp after blowing up 400%, only a little, not evident at all at 100%.

Originally posted by Jed
BUY BUY BUY!

First, buy 40 rolls of film.

Then buy developing and processing.

Then buy flatbed scanner.

Then realise flatbed scanner is crap.

Then buy film scanner.

Then buy inkjet printer to print scans.

Then realise inkjet printer is crap.

Then buy dye sub printer.

Then realise dye sub printer is a waste of time.

Then buy prints from a standard lab.

Then realise standard lab prints are crap.

Then buy prints from pro lab.

Then realise film is crap.

Then buy a DSLR.

Then be happy and join the dark side.

So, then, why don't you just buy a DSLR to start with? You know you wanted to...

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Then you spent all your savings and bought one of the world's most expensive DSLR currently in production. And found that it can't resolve red well.

:devil:

Regards
CK

DSLR is good but the 1.6x focal length multiplication is a pain most of the time when you're travelling. I'm looking forward to the day when it's 1:1 and DSLR costs just S$3000 or less... then it's really goodbye films for me! Hopefully in the next 5-7 years?

Originally posted by kiwi2
DSLR is good but the 1.6x focal length multiplication is a pain most of the time when you're travelling. I'm looking forward to the day when it's 1:1 and DSLR costs just S$3000 or less... then it's really goodbye films for me! Hopefully in the next 5-7 years?

If you choose any of the cooler 1.5x FLM SLRs, you have the option to get 18-36mm equivalent soon. :)

Regards
CK

Not just any. No such luck for Canon users.

Status
Not open for further replies.