I hate it when ppl say "its not the camera, its the person behine it"

Status
Not open for further replies.
if you noticed about Chase Jarvis's works with his iPhone... i bet you would notice that he won't compose anything requiring high dynamic range to get blown highlights... he carefully compose and take pictures with that iPhone and knowing it's limit... while working within the limits to get the best result... i.e. he knows his cameras (he uses iPhone everyday and he uses d3 on paid assignments) very well...

both matters, but the person behind it really need to work his best to know his camera well to get the best result a camera could produce...

edit: agree with night86mare - the best camera is the one which is being with you all the time...

Jarvis, are you Chase Jarvis by any chance?
:think:

I beg to differ......given 2 person the same camera.....who can produce winning picture? It's still the man behind the camera that matter :nono:

Now quiz time.....If Michael Schumacher sueh sueh join Alex Yoong in Minardy....both driving Minardy....who do you think will reach the checker flag first?

if you noticed about Chase Jarvis's works with his iPhone... i bet you would notice that he won't compose anything requiring high dynamic range to get blown highlights... he carefully compose and take pictures with that iPhone and knowing it's limit... while working within the limits to get the best result... i.e. he knows his cameras (he uses iPhone everyday and he uses d3 on paid assignments) very well...

both matters, but the person behind it really need to work his best to know his camera well to get the best result a camera could produce...

edit: agree with night86mare - the best camera is the one which is being with you all the time...

I'm quite sure those are just a small fraction of the pics he took with his iPhone, but he definitely only published those that can make it. Not that he won't compose anything requiring high dynamic range, just that those are probably in the recycle bin rather than on his website.

If he had took all the pics with his D3 instead, likelihood is he will have much more keepers.

Well, personally I think that statement sucks too, coz it isn't the complete picture.

However, your race car example doesn't complete the picture either.

Do u think the average driver can drive a 911 turbo and win Mike? There is a huge learning curve to driving a race car; it is not easy! U need proper race car training, practice and all. It is not just about stepping on accelerator and u will win Mike; u need to appropriate skills to negotiate bends, strategies, etc. So Mike will still win with the Cherry QQ afterall, I bet.

However, Mike isn't going to rejoice for winning the average driver with the Cherry QQ. He is a professional race driver seeking to clock a better timing year after year. He expects the best car, best engine, best gas, best tires, best team, and nothing else but the best. But why he can make such demands? Simply becoz he got the skills!

The more sensible advice is: buy a suitable camera/car based on your current skills. There is no point splurging (well, u can if u are rich enough) on a high-end camera/car when you just got into photography or if u just got your driving licence.

Once your skills have reached a certain level, then it is not too late to upgrade. More often than ever, people buy cameras/cars/rackets that exceed their skill levels. If u grow old with the hobby/sports, then it is fine. I do see people give up the hobby/sports halfway and end up selling away their wares. At that giving-up stage, the question of whether the camera or person behind is important suddenly become irrelevant.

I keep hearing this from my frens... super sian

yes we all know the person themself plays a vital role into a good photo.. but ofcos the camera needs to get some credit too...

u go give michael schumacher a cherry QQ and compete with a average driver in a 911 turbo and go track, see who win...

go take a camera phone and u go try to take a award winning photo and see (no heavy post processing ofcos)

I think the correct phase shld be "The person holding the camera is the most important element in taking a good photo, while the rest rest on the gears"

If you are lousy, you are limited by your skills. So the "Its the man behind the viewfinder" logic stands.
If you are really really good, your equipments are limiting you. So its no longer the person behind the viewfinder's fault. Its the camera's fault.
I admit I belong to the lousy category. :embrass::cry:

correct me if I am wrong..but i believe you just got your 450D barely a few months back and now, you felt the equipments aint good enough for your standard and hence, you wish to upgrade everything and change of system.

perhaps, your friends really felt that you should keep what you have and upgrade your skills first, before your equipments?

it is very easy for fellow CS-ers who just scream out "BBB"..."DXX is good", "L lenses are great!"...
but they are your friends, and I am sure they do know you better than everyone here.
give them some credit to trying to help you to save some $.

The same people must be the ones who will tell you that you should treat everyday as Valentines day/father's/mother's day when you tell them that you plan to do something special for your GF/Father/Mother on that particular festive:).

now this thread starting to get more sense with this old quote... haha.. great inputs !!

(but side track a bit.. i really think if u give a normal driver like me a 911 turbo.. i can with mr mike with a cherry QQ leh... hv u all seen cherry QQ or not? top speed 130km and it takes 18.5 sec to reach 100kmh..)

Using a 911 turbo vs Cherry QQ is a little extreme.....my wife can outdrive Schumi anytime:

911 0~100 acceleration <5s......QQ probably >15s
911 top speed >200km/h and stable......QQ 120km/h and will fly if you add a wing
911 corner >100 will likely stick with all the electronics....QQ buang to donno which longkang
911 crash @ 80km/h still high chance of coming out in one piece.....QQ I don't want to imagine
:sweatsm:

If he had took all the pics with his D3 instead, likelihood is he will have much more keepers.

yes yes yes, indeed, as long as someone upgrades, means all keepers. there are people who have d3, go venice (one of the most beautiful places in the world)... still have nothing really worth keeping :devil:..

correct me if I am wrong..but i believe you just got your 450D barely a few months back and now, you felt the equipments aint good enough for your standard and hence, you wish to upgrade everything and change of system.

perhaps, your friends really felt that you should keep what you have and upgrade your skills first, before your equipments?

it is very easy for fellow CS-ers who just scream out "BBB"..."DXX is good", "L lenses are great!"...
but they are your friends, and I am sure they do know you better than everyone here.
give them some credit to trying to help you to save some $.

if they hv that intention... then i dont mind at all.. but problem is.. they are not even so much into photography but just slapping me with this infamous quote...

also i not saying i die die want to upgrade.. i am just exploring and learning while looking at what is what in this hobby... if they tell me like what u did here, i perfectly accept it... but if u keep telling me that equipment is not important at all.. then i will disagree.

basically I believe skill is still vital no matter what... and if ur skill/need matches what camera u hv then its great. If u dig my other thread, i asked about D90 as i see limitation in 450D taking indoor photos at night ... where currently i am exploring if a D90 will help or not. This is purely not "wanting" something of higher spec, rather i hv specific reason and i am researching on it. if its not worth it (like other hv suggested) then i will go try other means (flash, F1.4 lens etc like what been suggested)

i think saying that

IT IS NOT THE CAMERA OR THE PERSON, IT IS THE PLACE is even worse than IT IS NOT THE CAMERA, IT'S THE PERSON or IT IS NOT THE PERSON, IT IS THE CAMERA

which is what our dear threadstarter just did a while ago. :bsmilie:

yea I agree! Esp if i want to take dark condition, high speed (actually dance performances). I need fast shutter speed, I can't flash, i need a good prime with large aperture, how? Die die must spend right? I already kenna a few times when i'm caught with my pants down without a good prime. Damn sian, PP also no use. sigh.

i find that people often spend their time obsessing about the things they need 0.001% of the time most of the time.

i once knew a guy who waxed lyrical about how his d3 was the only camera in the world who could take nude girls in near complete darkness, focus accurately, and shoot relatively clean shots that could be used at iso6400 at handholdable shutter speeds.

i asked him, how often would you be doing that? and he kept quiet. :bsmilie:

in the past, people waited for the light. you didn't find so many people whining about how they were limited by equipment. were they? without a doubt.. jsut that they sucked it up, they learnt to work within their limitations.. now we find ourselves charging towards bad, low light, just to test cameras for the sake of testing them.

To TsQ, go and buy a 5DMK2 or D700 or Sony FF (see i am bias already :sticktong); don't be bothered by the high price. I can assure you that once you have either of them, you can concentrate on your photography and any grandfather quotes won't affect you.

Everybody knows that skills and experience matters behind the tool, this is obvious knowledge but some just want to be different for a while. It is fine.

Singapore has too many SHOW PONYS walking around with their expensive cams but know nuts about it.

if they hv that intention... then i dont mind at all.. but problem is.. they are not even so much into photography but just slapping me with this infamous quote...

also i not saying i die die want to upgrade.. i am just exploring and learning while looking at what is what in this hobby... if they tell me like what u did here, i perfectly accept it... but if u keep telling me that equipment is not important at all.. then i will disagree.

basically I believe skill is still vital no matter what... and if ur skill/need matches what camera u hv then its great. If u dig my other thread, i asked about D90 as i see limitation in 450D taking indoor photos at night ... where currently i am exploring if a D90 will help or not. This is purely not "wanting" something of higher spec, rather i hv specific reason and i am researching on it. if its not worth it (like other hv suggested) then i will go try other means (flash, F1.4 lens etc like what been suggested)

Hey hey same with you.
I have friends who always tell me that old quote too.
However, ordinary photographers from flickr gave me inspiration.
This is what I saw online, one such person who likes photography too.
"I'm still stuck on 18-55mm.
Stayed simple, expanded creativity.
Don't mind...only embraced."
So don't mind what your friends said yea, as long as you thought over it and got a conclusion, good enough.
:) enjoy your photography!

To TsQ, go and buy a 5DMK2 or D700 or Sony FF (see i am bias already :sticktong); don't be bothered by the high price. I can assure you that once you have either of them, you can concentrate on your photography and any grandfather quotes won't affect you.

Everybody knows that skills and experience matters behind the tool, this is obvious knowledge but some just want to be different for a while. It is fine.

wow.. what a useful reply.... am i now in fault starting a thread that supposely is a "Everybody knows" topic?

its ok.. once a while we see such pointless post. It is fine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.