I hate it when ppl say "its not the camera, its the person behine it"

Status
Not open for further replies.
My skill is bad.
so I use big camera and big lens to pump big big bokeh with pretty girls.
Then everyone says my photo very nice.
Now, who said gears are not important? :bsmilie::bsmilie:

The thread is certainly doing well, a good variety of voice.... good standing. :thumbsup:

After reading many direct responses, I would like to add some non technicals here.

There is a big difference between one "who inspired to" be versus what one "wanted to be now". For that reason, a photographer chooses his/her interest and action in different path at different time/age. While inspired to be the best may seemed logical choice which may in fact "not what is wanted" for now. This is where the difference between learning and information gathering comes in.

You learn what you wanted to be but gather information for the inspiration, which the later are just information. Which is why different sides of the faculties (gear or skill pros) will have their consistent answers because they are in the state on "wanted". To a person who is in the state of inspire, these "wanted" answer may not be quantify and vice versa.

For example, I never wanted to be a pro or skillful photographer but mere to enjoy photography. Because I feel happy not to stress over why bad. But there will be times when I am ready to become one, that is where I will learn. Some folks replied in forum that I wanted to learn the quick way with going hardship. They are right in a way but with intention to learning ... nope. That is because I merely want to know what you think. Quoting facts is "knowing" not "thinking".

Thus with regards to right/wrong/ego/ignorance/materialist etc, these are just elements of the flow. Hope this clears up any feelings that may be choking among people.

Whilst the actual numerical values attributed may be the subject of debate, what is nonetheless accurate is that both factors play a part.

To me, the breakdown to a good photos is..

50%, the person taking the photo.
50%, the camera and lenses.

So both factors play an important role. :D

Regarding the analogy of the 911 and QQ, I'll say it is not very proper. Compare Driving and photo taking.

There have some differences:

1. In car race, if someone make mistake, he may die on the spot and the game will be over if the other one can safely arrive the destination. A 911 maybe more difficult to control than a QQ. So an unlicensed driver with 911 in the race may easily loose the game to a skill driver with QQ in a simple mistake he made.

In photo taking, to operate a high end DSLR may not have significant difficulty compare to operate an entry level DSLR. And have a wrong setting on a camera when taking photo, seldom heard that it will cause the photog heavy injury and can't take photo anymore(Of course, if both camera drop onto the toe at the same height, the hit will be harder by a high end camera---and they normally come with grip). So can't prejudge that a skill photog with normal camera will win the game.

2. Taking photo with different gear is not a game of car racing. It is not judge by one time racing. It does not mean who go to a final line first win the game and call a game over. Photo taking is more like a daily driving. You have a lot of time to practice if you like to. It judge by after a certain period of practice---daily photo taking---how many "good" product the person can produce or something like this. Can you prejudge which kind of situation the person will perform better--- he with a high end camera or he with a entry level camera?

For those professional photog, they should consider many aspect-- cost effect, reputation, customer impression and choose gear

For an amateur consider which one will give you more satisfaction or less suffering:

a. While annoying about your equipment envying other person's high end gear hope one day you can own one. Use what you have, improve your skills to get better photos.

b. Or annoy the hole in your pocket buy and what you want. Utilize it to get better photos.

I'm not good in English. Hope I've make myself clear. Sorry if I've offense somebody.

Eh, me too, me too!

The line has become a cliche. However, I find that the line would be valid when it's said by a good photographer. If the sayer's standard is also so-so, then it's very sian to hear that from him lah, like he's the only one who knows that, or you need more reminders to remember that.

Obviously the line is a bit exaggerated and it's the same with many other similar statements: extreme positions will highlight certain aspects but cannot stand alone for long.

Perhaps it would be better to think of it this way:

The art of photography is all about the photographer and not about the camera.

And going back to the racing analogy, think of it this way:

Schumi wouldn't crash the Chery QQ, but you would most probably crash the F1 car.

it's not the camera, it's not the person either, it's the sd card that you use.

or

it's not the camera, it's not the person, it's the Di that you do. :bsmilie:

it's not the camera, it's not the person either, it's the sd card that you use.

or

it's not the camera, it's not the person, it's the Di that you do. :bsmilie:

Heh.

Reminds me of the time where I mistakenly put in a 256MB card in for a event shoot.

Yep, definitely the SD card!

I keep hearing this from my frens... super sian

yes we all know the person themself plays a vital role into a good photo.. but ofcos the camera needs to get some credit too...

u go give michael schumacher a cherry QQ and compete with a average driver in a 911 turbo and go track, see who win...

go take a camera phone and u go try to take a award winning photo and see (no heavy post processing ofcos)

I think the correct phase shld be "The person holding the camera is the most important element in taking a good photo, while the rest rest on the gears"

Just remember no body's perfect, some got the talent, and some are not and need to try and train very hard or maybe need a very very expensive gears to get the result of the people who have talent.

Where the one who have talent can make a good picture with any medium used (DSLR,SLR,Camera Phone,Pin Hole, Holga), but sometime the one with no talent can get a good picture too by getting the correct moment...

It's never ending discussion...Just see Singapore Idol, some people don't know their talent and still trying... and wasting time...so does with art stuff like painting, music, and of course photography...

Some great example that I like

Liyun at DeviantArt
Propechy by Sortvind
We Used To Vacation by =P0RG

See what is their tools to get those images...u judge..

God created us in big diversity...and that is the beauty.. fair enough right ? :think:

Perhaps it would be better to think of it this way:

The art of photography is all about the photographer and not about the camera.

And going back to the racing analogy, think of it this way:

Schumi wouldn't crash the Chery QQ, but you would most probably crash the F1 car.

I agree with your Schumi things...:thumbsup::thumbsup:

:bsmilie:
oh dear... no wonder people look at me with a weird look when i have a "fujifilm" strap around my neck and an s3 in my hands....

Hahaha, got that too, when i took the S2pro out in the past. but back then, DSLR were expensive. so the funny look is like... wow his camera very big very pro.

One thing about the comparison of photographer with race car drivers here. I do not think they can even correlate.

Race car driving is competition.
Photography is Art.

Two totally different concepts.

Having an expensive brush can't make you paint like Leonardo da Vinci, right?

Anyone can buy an expensive camera, Anyone can take photo.
But not anyone can be a good photographer.

Tell them......Its MY $, I DECIDE how to spend it.....

This statement will wipe out whatever others say. Ultimately, if you can afford it, who can say you cannot buy right? Be happy spending your money, why care what others say? :p

I keep hearing this from my frens... super sian

yes we all know the person themself plays a vital role into a good photo.. but ofcos the camera needs to get some credit too...

u go give michael schumacher a cherry QQ and compete with a average driver in a 911 turbo and go track, see who win...

go take a camera phone and u go try to take a award winning photo and see (no heavy post processing ofcos)

I think the correct phase shld be "The person holding the camera is the most important element in taking a good photo, while the rest rest on the gears"

You did not mention the reverse - give you a F1 car and compete in a race, what is the chance of you winning?

The right gear given to the right person who knows how to use it, certainly will produce stunning pictures.

Machines are just machines, it is dumb. You leave it there it is not going to produce award-winning pictures on its own. A user who understand and have the know how to use the gear will definitely be in a much better position to explore the features available to overcome certain difficult condition when taking a picture.

So to say, to ignore one (user or human) is naive and silly to me.

i cant operate a F1 car... thats why i never use that as example :)

anyway... no need to quote my 1st post.. its been evolved and progressed on already... if u hv time to read 5 over pages of this thread then u can see .. haha..

5 pages and u haven't read a conclusion nor close the thread yet... haha!

In a nutshell, please go ahead and buy expensive cameras and lenses (if finances allow, or up to your budget) and also remember to practice and practice until your photography skills is perfect.

anyway... no need to quote my 1st post.. its been evolved and progressed on already... if u hv time to read 5 over pages of this thread then u can see .. haha..

Having an expensive brush can't make you paint like Leonardo da Vinci, right?

Anyone can buy an expensive camera, Anyone can take photo.
But not anyone can be a good photographer.

:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.