I do not know what to upgrade...

:bsmilie: aiya, that's not the intent of that statement! You can buy the right lens for the right job. But if it's the case for TS here:

and judging from what he is considering,

I would say 18mm is wide enough for him no?

On the tele side, if he is lazy to change lens, just move closer. Honestly, even though you can't shoot everything with a kit lens, it's quite clear the desire for an upgrade here is simply BBB syndrome which can be overcome by some effort.

This I agree.

ts there nothin for u to upgrade coz u dont even know what lacking for you,

if the need to spent than ditch the kit lens for a tamron 17-50, or keep the kit lens grab a uwa like tokina 11-16 or the canon 10-22.... or maybe just get flash...:)

Just one day.... nikon come up with a 10-300mm f2.8 VRX lens. Sharp throughout the zoom range. Hardly any distortion. VRX for 10stops vibration reduction. I will ditch all my current lens and get just this lens. :lovegrin:

:bsmilie: aiya, that's not the intent of that statement! You can buy the right lens for the right job. But if it's the case for TS here:

and judging from what he is considering,

I would say 18mm is wide enough for him no?

On the tele side, if he is lazy to change lens, just move closer. Honestly, even though you can't shoot everything with a kit lens, it's quite clear the desire for an upgrade here is simply BBB syndrome which can be overcome by some effort.

My widest used to be 18. Even after stitching, I have realised that there are still things I can't do with the 18 and the difference the 10mm focal length can do. I bought an uwa a few months later.

...........i think better not do the switching..............

Honestly speaking, If I were you, I would stay with the current lenses. Bring one body 18-55 and 55-250 for holiday.

I share with you a secret. After many holidays...you will find that bringing along the lightest DSLR you can lay your hands on would be the best. I used to be crazy enough to bring a D700 with battery grip and 4 different FF lenses + tripod + rain cover + flash. Today I just bring a el cheapo D60 with a 18-55mm kit lens + 35mm prime + flash. No more tripod for me. Too many gears will weigh you down and you will find that it is very cumbersome. After all we are there for a holiday not photo taking.

First holiday out of Singapore...ya maybe we will bring our entire arsenal. After so many holidays...the lighter the better. If someone else wants to be my photographer...even better. :cool:

First holiday out of Singapore...ya maybe we will bring our entire arsenal. After so many holidays...the lighter the better. If someone else wants to be my photographer...even better. :cool:[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Fully agree. I used to bring A900+VG+CZ24-70 everywhere when I travel. Now? A550 with lightweight 16-105. Or even just a PnS. Lightweight is niiiice.

I share with you a secret. After many holidays...you will find that bringing along the lightest DSLR you can lay your hands on would be the best. I used to be crazy enough to bring a D700 with battery grip and 4 different FF lenses + tripod + rain cover + flash. Today I just bring a el cheapo D60 with a 18-55mm kit lens + 35mm prime + flash. No more tripod for me. Too many gears will weigh you down and you will find that it is very cumbersome. After all we are there for a holiday not photo taking.

First holiday out of Singapore...ya maybe we will bring our entire arsenal. After so many holidays...the lighter the better. If someone else wants to be my photographer...even better. :cool:

agree... good point.
If you are going for a holiday and not a photography trip. Go for the bare minimum and not be encumber by gears... This means I have not travel enough...:bsmilie: or rather hardly.
I don't mind if it is paid trip not from my pocket.:bsmilie:

Last edited:

Fully agree. I used to bring A900+VG+CZ24-70 everywhere when I travel. Now? A550 with lightweight 16-105. Or even just a PnS. Lightweight is niiiice.

I bring my eyes... :bsmilie: and a PnS.

Last edited:
It seems Olympus and Panasonic are really onto something with their micro 4/3 cameras. :)

Currently owning a Canon 550D with Kit I and 55-250mm.
Thinking of upgrading to a Sigma 18-250mm lens...

Should i just sell both my lens and only use the Sigma Lens or should i keep?
Any review on the Sigma 18-250mm lens? Tried the Tamron 18-270mm but i dun like... The image dun seems to be sharp at 200mm onwards... Any other recommendation or rather recommend me on canon L lens...

Btw i like to shoot landscape pic where the things to focus is far away but do not wan to compromise on the wide angle too...:confused:

then you should look at upgrading yourself first.

when you know what you really need, then you know what to buy. knowing what you really need involves knowledge of youself, and photography.

i agree with this.

if you're too tired to shoot, it doesn't matter.

but i disagree with the tripod. my only overseas trip where i didn't bring a tripod (italy), i regretted it a lot.

Agree with night86mare for the part he mentioned about tripod. I used to think bring more no regret. But weight is so much of an issue. It tires me much faster than i can imagine. Read more reviews/rent it/borrow if can save me $$$. But worst come to worst is B&S section :X

i agree with this.

if you're too tired to shoot, it doesn't matter.

but i disagree with the tripod. my only overseas trip where i didn't bring a tripod (italy), i regretted it a lot.

Well in life there's always a second trip. No regrets cos you're still young.:bsmilie:

if you read the link I've posted. IQ is worst than sigma or tamron.

Again it depends on the user's skills and the field situations, IQ is not everything...

My suggestion to TS: Sell your gear, get a super zoom prosumer camera such as fujifilm HS10. That should provide enough 'reach', don't need to change lens, with similar dslr features.

Another thing: Google is your good friend...do a search when people suggest a lens instead of throwing another question straight "How is the lens ah?". Also read up on the basics online, way more efficient than to wait for answers (being fed) here.

Agree....that's why sometime I only bring my phone (Pixon12) for a holiday trip....LOL