Hyundai Cars


Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfgang

Senior Member
Apr 29, 2002
5,688
0
0
39
Riddle Realms
wolfgang.clubsnap.org
#1
For all drivers;

just to check, do you guys have any personal experiences, driving a Hyundai?

Especially a Hyundai Matrix? Any idea whats the price of a Matrix? Is it in the 60K range? :dunno:

Kindly advise. :)
 

~Radish~

New Member
Feb 26, 2003
501
0
0
41
Visit site
#2
Hi

You might be able to get more from the hardwarezone forum on the types of cars people own and also how they perform. For the same price range, you can look at Toyota Vios or the new Nissan Sunny. I personally find both nicer and better.

Why not check out the Mazda 323, the same car used by the Police force?

Have fun choosing your dream car.
 

sulhan

Moderator
Staff member
May 11, 2002
4,026
0
0
45
Melbourne, Australia
www.md-sulhan.com
#3
Heres my take on the Matrix......

Personally was checking out this car before i got the little car that you "tompang" and what puts me off are two thingss..

- the Matrix drinks fuel.....normall car sips....$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
- the wide centre door frame is wider than usual and this may pose a a blind spot for smaller people....

Else...this is a SUPER spacious car.....

rgds,
me
 

Wolfgang

Senior Member
Apr 29, 2002
5,688
0
0
39
Riddle Realms
wolfgang.clubsnap.org
#5
sulhan said:
Heres my take on the Matrix......

Personally was checking out this car before i got the little car that you "tompang" and what puts me off are two thingss..

- the Matrix drinks fuel.....normall car sips....$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
- the wide centre door frame is wider than usual and this may pose a a blind spot for smaller people....

Else...this is a SUPER spacious car.....

rgds,
me
I see... Thanks Sulhan. :)

Anyhow, i checked and the Matrix is @ 64K ++ but i am wondering if there is a reason why it's erm... less pricey, compared to other cars in it's class?

Anyone? :dunno:
 

Kit

Senior Member
Jan 19, 2002
11,687
42
48
42
Upper Bukit Timah
Visit site
#6
No experience with the Matrix but I've driven a Sonata some years ago. Seriously under powered for its large frame. Overall, not very impressed with Hyundai but they might have improved themselves over the years.
 

Knighthunter

Senior Member
Sep 13, 2002
958
0
16
44
Pigeon Hole in Mandalay
#7
Wolfgang said:
I see... Thanks Sulhan. :)

Anyhow, i checked and the Matrix is @ 64K ++ but i am wondering if there is a reason why it's erm... less pricey, compared to other cars in it's class?

Anyone? :dunno:
I believe 62k non guaranteed COE 64k guaranteed COE (January Quote).
For me I prefer Jap car but the extra for Hyundai is very good. Just make sure you squeeze the SE. For Jap brand bit tough, also now Yen is very high.
For Matrix att least you should get:
Alloy/Sport Rim
CD Stacker
Leather Seat
and try to get V-kool from them....
 

BigBelly

New Member
Feb 27, 2002
514
0
0
41
#8
go to the LTA website and check out the OMV of the vehicles. multiply that by a factor of 2.25 and you get your cost price of the car. minus the selling price of the vehicle to the value and you will notice that the major brands have a profit margin of about $15-$16k and hence the wide difference in price.
 

Knighthunter

Senior Member
Sep 13, 2002
958
0
16
44
Pigeon Hole in Mandalay
#9
BigBelly said:
go to the LTA website and check out the OMV of the vehicles. multiply that by a factor of 2.25 and you get your cost price of the car. minus the selling price of the vehicle to the value and you will notice that the major brands have a profit margin of about $15-$16k and hence the wide difference in price.
I believe all is the same margin is very high but nothing you can do about it.....it's the reality of car price in Singapore.
The best thing is try to get more and more freebies from SE, your SE is count alot and how good your bargaining skill......
 

clive

Senior Member
Oct 9, 2002
2,537
0
0
Visit site
#10
actually my army frens recommend hyundai for its "consumer level-ness" ie low fuel consumption, price, etc; somemore 3 of the army regulars drive hyundais => these people are into cost cutting... but the same friends also got me hooked on rally cars =)
 

Jul 12, 2003
220
0
0
Jurong West
#11
I've driven a Hyundai H100 (Van), and a Renault Scenic (MPV-like), and i've tested the Matrix too. Now, my comment is that hyundai motors has improved its quality especially in its car build. There's definitely less prob of loose parts, soft metal, lousy plastic, lousy leather in Hyundai cars, then compared to the past. I can testify to that. The matrix is certainly a car for those who likes to "ride high" like me cos' i'm pretty used to driving a van and enjoying the awesome view, and superior ride height. But looks, handling and comfort loses seriously to the Renault Scenic, which I drove for about a month.

My personal take on fuel consumption is that Matrix drinks more than a Toyota Corolla, but certainly lesser than Opel Astra and Renault Scenic. It felt good to return the Scenic cos it was burning a big hole in my small pocket.

Still, please take my comments with a pinch of salt...hee...
 

Jul 11, 2003
88
0
0
Singapore
Visit site
#13
Ok, here is a first hand account from a Matrix driver. Driving Matrix for 2 yrs already.

Latest price Matrix 1.6 GLS is $65,888 (Feb 2004 Price)

Hyundai has improved alot in its engineering and built. For those who likes MPV/Mini MPV cars, Matrix is one affordable priced car. High view, VERY spacious. Performance is good with its DOHC engine, great handling. Even better after some mods have been done.
Fuel consumption is slightly on the high side. If during the run in period, it can do about 8-9km/l. After run in period, it will do 9-10km/l. With mods, some people do 10-13km/l. Mine is about 10-11km/l after mods (Super Fuel Max, Grounding, Turbo-In, Cold Air Intake), with about 50% highway and 50% city driving. Comparing, a Sunny does about 13km/l stock. Then again I am able to live with the fuel consumption. High fuel consumption is because the chasis weights 1300kg. Comparing with a Toyota Vios, engine pickup of a Matrix is better.

Conclusion, you will not be able to buy a Japanese mini MPV at this price.
 

Barrios

New Member
May 19, 2002
715
0
0
57
Visit site
#14
JackRussell said:
Ok, here is a first hand account from a Matrix driver. Driving Matrix for 2 yrs already.

Latest price Matrix 1.6 GLS is $65,888 (Feb 2004 Price)

Hyundai has improved alot in its engineering and built. For those who likes MPV/Mini MPV cars, Matrix is one affordable priced car. High view, VERY spacious. Performance is good with its DOHC engine, great handling. Even better after some mods have been done.
Fuel consumption is slightly on the high side. If during the run in period, it can do about 8-9km/l. After run in period, it will do 9-10km/l. With mods, some people do 10-13km/l. Mine is about 10-11km/l after mods (Super Fuel Max, Grounding, Turbo-In, Cold Air Intake), with about 50% highway and 50% city driving. Comparing, a Sunny does about 13km/l stock. Then again I am able to live with the fuel consumption. High fuel consumption is because the chasis weights 1300kg. Comparing with a Toyota Vios, engine pickup of a Matrix is better.

Conclusion, you will not be able to buy a Japanese mini MPV at this price.
Yours is a manual or auto transmission?
 

Tweek

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
2,027
0
0
38
East
www.weekai.com
#18
hey wolfie...

no personal experience with the matrix, but from what I hear from others, JackRussell summed it up pretty well. Can't compare the fuel consumption of matrix to a saloon car, they're different class altogether.

I'm driving an Accent myself. Power and road handling wise, not too bad, quite comfortable. What's less desirable is build-quality. The plastic feels cheaper, and the car frame doesn't feel as solid as japan makes. When you close the car door you'll know the difference already.

The reason why I bought it is of course the low price compared to other cars. I've also did some "market survey" and found that hyundai cars have improved on reliability over the years, and most owners do not face any major problems in the first 5 years. After that, will be just normal wear and tear like other cars. Mine's 3 year old and so far nothing big has been broken. My accent's fuel consumption is quite decent too, about 15km/l, probably because it's just a 1.3. I'm not a person too particular about car specs (torque, 0-100 time etc) so I'm contented with an accent that brings me from point to point at a low cost. I think a new accent 1.3 now is only about $56k.

But try not to get a hyundai if you're thinking of resale in the near future. The resale value isn't too good.
 

Jer76

New Member
Apr 21, 2002
1,047
0
0
West
#19
Matrix fuel consumption quite high.. engine noise in cabin oso quite loud.. else its a very good n spaceous car.. i find those black colour ones very nice.. and lots of secret compartments to hide your secret purchases hehe
 

Jul 11, 2003
88
0
0
Singapore
Visit site
#20
If looking at the Hyundai stable of cars, although generally its engineering and built has improved, I would only look at Matrix, Elantra, Sonata, Coupe, Granduer. Any other models,like Atos, Getz, Accent, its built quality still has lots of room for improvement. My brother drives a Getz, although the design is nice, but you can't imagine the engine and road noise! I thought Matrix is noisy, but Getz is many times worst.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.